yardhippie

golf anyone?

so im tryin to learn how to hit little balls w/ a big stick, right? (even though I swore Id never) Im having a terrible problem w/ the ball curving to the right (slice I think) I mean BAD. seein as how Im just a dumb-ass reneck any advice for this silly game I play when I can skydive?
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Your slice is being caused by the clubface being open on impact. Loosen your grip a little bit. and aim to the left about 6 inches. Let me know how that goes. Swinging slower helps too. Also you may want to get a lesson or 2 with a PGA Professional. an hour lesson is like 40 dollars here in the midwest.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

I used to golf, but never regularly. Here's a tip though, before you grip the club, rotate it slightly counter-clockwise if your swinging right handed, if you're using left handed clubs, rotate it slightly clockwise. What is happening is the ball is rolling lateraly, off the end of the club, you might also try standing a little closer to the ball when you swing.

hey dude - you're in a skydivers forum! :S

Anything non-skydiving related should be discussed here! Politics, relationships, soap box, etc... Skydiving discussions are welcome but you may have better luck in the General Skydiving Discussions forum. This forum is moderated but expect a noisy bar!

Im where!! :o:D:D

hey... skydivers have to do something when its overcast, cold and rainy (I know not golf conditions, but after a few drinks it sounds fun) B|B|
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Ok this is the truth to fixing your slice.....from me a PGA Golf Professional.:)
A slice is most commonly caused by a swing path that is "Out to IN." By out to in I mean that on that if you put a ball on a tee and drew a line from behind the ball all the way your target your club head on aproach to the ball starts outside the line, then after the ball has been struck comes inside that line. Putting a clockwise spin on the ball.

The drill that I work with students on is this. Go and get a wooden dowl and place it about 10FT in front of you between you and your target. When you hit balls have them start to the right of the shaft. By doing this you are bringing the club head in on the proper line to the ball putting the desired spin needed to hit a nice draw.

Remember in golf what you think you are doing and what you are actually doing is two seperate things. Get some proper instruction from your local PGA teaching professional

Joe
PS- I will find some images for you to see what I mean.
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

I too struggled with correcting a pretty mean slice for some time. I eventually just decided I'd live with it and aim left. This worked out for some time, but on dogleg lefts it was impossible. I determined that what was causing me to slice was that I had the ball too far forward in my stance resulting in me breaking my wrist, and opening the clubface. I've corrected this by locating the ball more centered between my legs.
Now I have a straight drive, but I can always pull out that slice for long dogleg rights!

What you said has some truth with the breaking down of the wrists, however...the further you have the ball towards the forward portion of your swing the more left it should go. Try this if you dont believe me.....stance in your living room with your club in your hand. Place the club on the ground in the middle of your stance. Now slide your stance back so it places the ball forward...you will see the face pointing left, now slide your feet forward, or towards the target making the ball in the back of the stance, and you will see the face point right.

Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

What BoostedXT said.. I'll add.. think of your arms as the arms on a clock. swing them straight, like the hands of a clock would turn, don't round them wither forward or backward of center. Good luck.
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

Golf? You don't have the patience to play golf. Go ice skating or something.

you are damn right... but they have GOLF CARTS! and you know how much I LOVE golf carts!B|:S:D
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

GOLF? OMG, Are we going to have to do an intervention for this golf thing? hummm? What fun is it for April to take pictures of you golfing, and what's the point of the golf cart if you can't hit the ball more than 20 feet?
:D:D:D
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

GOLF? OMG, Are we going to have to do an intervention for this golf thing? hummm? What fun is it for April to take pictures of you golfing, and what's the point of the golf cart if you can't hit the ball more than 20 feet?
:D:D:D

yes intervene please, but bring jump money! and I can hit the ball further than 20 feet! I can hit it about 150 feet so :P it just goes to the right, A LOT! Whats the point of a golf cart? What-what-what? now who needs an intervention? golf carts are a staple for surface, drunken, local, skydiver travel! B|
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

humm.... DZ is 200mi away in a vehicle that gets 14mpg at 1.39/gal thats... $39.00/gas
food for the event for fri,sat and sun am... $45.00
riding mullins king air to alti at least 10 times (cuz I have no will power)...$160. knowing that im gonna see it all on my next credit card bill... painfulB|B|:S

BTW Judy, im currently puttin a new clutch in my car... so the race is back on! :o
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

you are damn right... but they have GOLF CARTS! and you know how much I LOVE golf carts

How true...i did have a great time riding around with you in rantoul. That was one helluva golfcart you had. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

you are damn right... but they have GOLF CARTS! and you know how much I LOVE golf carts

How true...i did have a great time riding around with you in rantoul. That was one helluva golfcart you had. :)

I hope to be there again next year, w/ a personalized form of transportation, but I gots a new job, and dont know if i will have the vacation. and since the fast place will be there and not at the DZ then I just may golf!? :(:(B|
Mohoso Rodriguez #865