fudd

Were I right to turn down this order?

wearing a closing pin nacklace is like getting a meaningful, symbolic tattoo just 'cause it looks cool even though they haven't a clue what it represents.

So should the tattoo artist not do the work until they quiz the person to make sure they know its symbology?

I'm with JohnnyD on this one. Who cares? Make some cash. It's not like you're selling state secrets.

wearing a closing pin nacklace is like getting a meaningful, symbolic tattoo just 'cause it looks cool even though they haven't a clue what it represents.

So should the tattoo artist not do the work until they quiz the person to make sure they know its symbology?

I'm with JohnnyD on this one. Who cares? Make some cash. It's not like you're selling state secrets.

No no, by all means, it's up to the seller. But it seems Fudd has an issue with handing out something uniquely skydiving-related to people who won't appreciate it properly. I see his point.

I wouldn't want to wear something like that if it wasn't significant to me. I think it's silly when other people wear things/ get tattoos without knowing why they are meaningful (to themselves or others). It has the effect of diluting that 'specialness'.

I do see your point, too, though. Do you see mine?

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I see your point why not to wear one. But not why to turn down $1000. I saw a shirt in a punk store that had closing pins all over it, no one at the store knew what they were, but said they sold pretty well. It's just a random shape that has meaning only if you know its meaning. Otherwise, it's decorative.

Awwe com on people,,its business,,you can't operate like that....a non-jumper can buy a complete rig and hang it his bar just for looks with no intention of ever jumping it ! Just look at all the gym and workout equipment people buy and use for clothes hangers..lol. nope ya did wrong,,you provide a product for sale,to make money,its out there for someone with money to buy because he can,,truth be told he would have given them out and most people would not even wear them and the other half would wear em' for a week or two and chuck it in a drawer and forget about it. What if you came across 3 or 4 orders like that? you could of bought a rig and more...if you want to be a business you can't afford to be that exclusive,,,just my 2 cents wally
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Should've sold it. People are looking for something to Identify with to make them feel "special" or elite. it's just a necklace. To bad if a whuffo has a necklace. We are jumpers because we jump, not because of some jewelry. Cripes, people look for meaning in the strangest places and symbols.

Maybe having one opens the wearer to conversations with a jumper someday and gets the wearer start the sport.

Plus, a small business opportunity like that could've grown into something.

You know you're missing the $$$$ right now.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I see your point why not to wear one. But not why to turn down $1000.

Aww hell, I didn't necessarily mean turn down the money, just see if it HAS to be a closing pin. If not, switch it up, or take it out. If so, like I said, it's up to the seller.

For all my counterpoints, money is money. Excuse me, money is jump & gear money!

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

A responsible tattoo artist would probably do just that.

Friend of mine went to get a tat... saw something on the wall flash that looked like a yin-yang, but with three swirley things, not two. She really liked the symbol, but the artist wouldn't do the tat unless she knew what it meant. (she didn't but I did, and was laughing my ass off... I'd have told her before she got any ink, of course).

If she'd been by herself, and the artist hadn't been responsible, she'd have gotten inked with a symbol that she didn't realize was a symbol. She just thought it was a variation of a yin-yang.

I think most of the posters here are correct... if you wear a symbol, you need to understand it. Otherwise, it somehow cheapens the meaning.

I don't know.
Fuck money.
I had my first jump only 3 months ago but already my heart and home is open to skydivers.
If someone i didn't know called and said i need a place to crash i would tell them to fuck off, but a skydiver you are welcome. Hey maybe i am nuts but the way people treat each other on DZ.com is enough for me to believe that skydivers are not your normal people.
People i have never met have taken time to ,teach, and share there experience with me.
Ok long post but my point is it is special to me. Maybe just jewelry to some but to me it means something. If i see every one warring it it would lose some of it's meaning.

Imaginesomeone who has never been in the special forces but gets the tattoo
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I voted yes. I love football, got a jersey from every team I've ever seen play. Even have an old high school friend who plays professional ball and has a superbowl ring. But I can't wear his ring, didn't earn it. Get them all t-shirts, I've thrown myself out of an airplane 42 times to earn the right to wear one. And I hope to be a skydiving granny one day!
Just my .02~
Your character will ultimately determine your destiny.

I've thrown myself out of an airplane 42 times to earn the right to wear one.

I guess I just missed the "You are now a skydiver and therefore better than everyone else. Here is your secret necklace" initiation.

Crap. I miss all the good stuff.:S I wouldn't miss out on $1,000.

I am a far cry from better than everyone else. I am a Kindergarden teacher who's flipped her lid. But it is no different, IMHO, than me wanting to wear a superbowl ring, my fathers Vietnam medals or a cross around my neck if I didn't believe in God. They are statements of who you are, what you have done with your life and what your belief system is... if you don't share the beliefs, don't wear the symbol...

Congratulations on flipping your lid.
If you had a student wearing a superbowl ring, military medals or a closing pin necklace (amazing to me that the three are mentioned together) would you make him/her take it off because your belief of not wearing those things differs from their belief of wearing them?

They are mentioned together only because they are things friends and family own, are symbols and came to me at this moment. Give me more time, I'd come up with more. No, I wouldn't make them take it off, unless it was a symbol of hate. Depending on what it was, I may very well have chat with them about what it was and what it meant. I really was only voting in a poll, I didn't intend to get deep;)

Fair enough. The bottom line is: Management reserves the right to refuse service to anyone. Regardless of what you or I would do, Fudd has chosen to not make the sale. Possibly to his detriment. Possibly not. Probably doesn't matter.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

But it is no different, IMHO, than me wanting to wear a superbowl ring, my fathers Vietnam medals or a cross around my neck if I didn't believe in God. They are statements of who you are, what you have done with your life and what your belief system is... if you don't share the beliefs, don't wear the symbol...

That cross thing is exactly what I was thinking. Another way to think about it, imagine if some whuffo started calling themself a rodriguez (sp?) brother, or pink mafia member, or some type of skymonkey thing... wouldn't any of you that hold those honors be just a little offended?

MB 3528, RB 1182

Congratulations on flipping your lid.
If you had a student wearing a superbowl ring, military medals or a closing pin necklace (amazing to me that the three are mentioned together) would you make him/her take it off because your belief of not wearing those things differs from their belief of wearing them?

I'd don't give a toss about the Superbowl ring, (I"m aussie) but if a kid came in wearing currnet military medals and it was not ANZAC Day (If they are worn out of respect for family on ANZAC DAY I'd have no problem). Hell yeah I'd take them off them, then sit them down and explain the significance of them.

BTW ANZAC DAY is similar to rememberance day in the US I think
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Legit pins always curve the one way. But the employees at your company won't know the difference. So make all 60 of theirs so they go the wrong way, and real skydivers will be able to spot the posers.

They do? And which way is that? (Guess I'm not a real skydiver... :P)

The pins on my necklace point both ways...

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.