DShiznit

Extremely sprained/twisted ankle - lesson to be learned

I thought about putting this in the "Incidents" forum, but I thought that more would see this here and learn from my lesson. It could save your life. I consider myself lucky that a hurt ankle was all I got......

So I was at home working on the Christmas decorations with the beloved wife, as I do every year. With the weather being gorgeous like it is this time of year in Texas, we had the front door open and a child gate (the folding type) in the front door from keeping my two children (dogs) from getting out. Well, my wife was hanging some lights around the front porch/door, while I was doing the garland/lights around the garage door. The ladder was right up front againt the child gate, and I was going in/out of the house quite a bit, as was my wife because she was preparing dinner as well.

So I am inside and need to go back outside for the 10th time. I step over the child gate and on to the second rung of the ladder with my right foot. As soon as I put ALL of my weight on my right foot while stepping over with my left, I slipped....... and took everything down with me (this was a 6 foot ladder). I knocked down some lights, a ladder, broke two plant pots, a small bench, everything. I was deathly afraid to look at my foot for fear that it was broken, and I didn't want to see that. My son was yelling for my wife, but I was yelling every profanity I could think of (which she probably heard over my son) to keep from crying. I have no felt pain like that in years... So she gets out there, takes off my shoe (assuring me it wasn't broken) and my GOD it was huge. So I hobble to the couch, get a pain killer, beer, and notebook (gotta play online poker) and get set up for the night. She has taken great care of me ever since.

I have to go to the dr today because it is killing me. The first thing I thought of was, "what if I can't skydive for a month or so?". I was actually thinking that while laying on the front porch. Funny what runs through your head... Oh well. Funny thing is all of my co-workers' first words when they saw me Monday morning was "Skydiving, huh?" - hehe. The irony......

Summary: Christmas decorations are the devil and can kill.

The End. :)

please, please, please,

follow your doctor's instructions to the letter! Sprains are worse than breaks in many ways. They hurt more, they take longer to heal, and they can involve complex connective tissue. If you don't properly let a bad sprain heal, you can end up needing surgery. I have a very nasty scar across the top of my right hand attesting to this.

please, please, please,

follow your doctor's instructions to the letter! Sprains are worse than breaks in many ways. They hurt more, they take longer to heal, and they can involve complex connective tissue. If you don't properly let a bad sprain heal, you can end up needing surgery. I have a very nasty scar across the top of my right hand attesting to this.

That's not exactly the reassurance I was wanting to hear. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about this, and I asked him how bad the pain was to break your ankle. His reply was not as bad as a sprain. I only asked because at our DZ several weeks ago a guy landed wrong and broke his ankle. He was just sitting there in the road waiting on the ambulance. I was crying like a little two year old who dropped his sucker in the dirt.

Now I am hobbling around with a cane while wearing this ski boot looking thing.

word.

both of my knees and ankles are messed up because i sprained them badly in various sports (skiing, football, baseball, track) I'm a tough ass so i didnt listen to what the doc told me and kept playing anyway and now i pay for it B|B|

Yeah, I've got a weak knee from an old football injury, I thought I was a badass and could "work it out".... I now have to wear a brace 12 years afterwards even while playing raquetball....

Several years ago I suffered a pretty severe ankle sprain when I crashed hard feet first into the board during a hockey game. I hope your injury isn't as bad as mine was which took several months to fully heal (fortunately I wasn't a skydiver at the time).

Take care and watch out for those Christmas decorations. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

You dweeb.... just kidding. I fell at work and sprained my ankle and tore some of the ligaments on my right ankle. The dr released me for normal activities after 2 1/2 weeks of resting it. I told him skydiving was normal for me and he said just be careful. It still hurts from time to time and still swollen a little after 3 months but doing ok...
Good luck...
Samantha Weaver

Bummer man, I hope you heal quickly. You don't want to miss those butt cold jumps this winter.

We were putting up lights outside at our place a couple of weekends ago and the ladder started going back on me. Needless to say I went down and found myself rolling and then standing.

My wife looks over and says "Nice PLF". Hey, the trainng must have worked.

I don't know. I jumped on this (attached photo) two weeks after I broke it.

I absolutely would not recommend it unless you are crazy-brave and very stupid.

And even then it's very stupid. :S Heal up.

Your balls are slightly larger in diameter than mine appear to be.

I injured my shoulder putting up the Christmas tree. Those suckers are hard to put up by yourself. I was holding it in the stand and reached up high to get it straightened and something just pulled. I couldn't lift my arm up without it killing me. The doctor gave me some kind of pain med with a narcotic but I can't take anything stronger than a motrin or I feel loopy. It's getting better but getting dressed and undressed is a bitch.

I injured my shoulder putting up the Christmas tree. Those suckers are hard to put up by yourself. I was holding it in the stand and reached up high to get it straightened and something just pulled. I couldn't lift my arm up without it killing me. The doctor gave me some kind of pain med with a narcotic but I can't take anything stronger than a motrin or I feel loopy. It's getting better but getting dressed and undressed is a bitch.

I hear ya. And I thought it was supposed to be fun.....

My wife mentioned taking care of me was like taking care of a baby all over again, although I do like being pampered when I'm injured. :)

Yeowch...I broke my ankle a few years back, took the better part of a year to heal...thank God I wasn't a skydiver back then, I wouldn't have been able to handle it! Oh, need to be uplifting...Ok, the good news for you is that my break required 2 surgeries and a helluva lot of hardware; your sprain hopefully won't require all that! When you go to physical therapy, pay CLOSE attention to the exercises, then try to duplicate them at home as much as possible...my sprained thumb of August (yeah, that was a bad landing...) cost me over $500 for phys therapy AFTER insurance said they had paid all they're gonna...[:/] I'm about to get injections because it still is lacking mobility, so KEEP UP with your exercises! I slacked off and I'm now about to pay the price...[:/] Jaye doesn't like needles...[:/] So do better than I did!! :P
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Funny thing is all of my co-workers' first words when they saw me Monday morning was "Skydiving, huh?" - hehe. The irony......

Ouch, the irony hurts more than the injury I bet.

Get well my friend.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP