quade

"Bush lacks will to find bin Laden" -- Clark

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/12/17/elec04.prez.clark.bush/index.html

"If I'd been president, I would have had Osama bin Laden by this time," Clark said at a news conference in Concord, New Hampshire, where he was campaigning for votes in the nation's first primary, January 27.

"I would have followed through on the original sentiment that the president gave us -- Osama bin Laden, dead or alive.

"Instead, he executed a bait-and-switch. He took the priority off Osama bin Laden. He shifted the spotlight onto Saddam Hussein."

Well, he does sort of have a point.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Quade, I could see how one might percieve that Bush "pulled the bait and switch" with Osama, but in my opinion, that is just because of the media attention each situation gets.

We have not backed off at all in Afghanistan on our hunt for Osama since the Saddam-issue arose. It's just that the media has been covering the Saddam issue a lot more, so it seems like Bush pulled the old "bait and switch".

Either way...I hope Clark can somehow pull off an upset over Dean. I like him (even though these comments by him seem like a politician's lie).

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

"If I'd been president, I would have had Osama bin Laden by this time," Clark said

And he has a plan to find a man who's been hiding from vastly superior militaries for the last 30-40 years?

Bait-and-switch? Maybe.
He'd have him by now? Doubtful.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Lie - Ber - Man

If Bush had even the most remote chance of losing, it would have to be Liebbie that I would want in there.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

There's a historical comparison between being attacked by Japan, but putting that fight off until we defeated the Axis. Get Saddam first, cause he's has more resources to promote terrorism, then get the O-man.

-Why in God's name am I posting in a political thread?

Oh, crap. Yes I am aware that Japan was in the Axis. I was referring to the European folks.

He'd have him by now? Doubtful.

Doubltful? Why?

GWB almost had OBL before he redirected efforts into Iraq. At least he had seemed to be closing in on him. At least, that's what The White House was telling us back in April, 2002.
quade -

Didn't Clark get an endorsement from Madonna today? Seems I heard that on the news. Something about getting introduced to her by Michael Moore...Um, yeah. O.K., then. (I have not confirmed that yet, but still...)

Back to topic.

I agree with Deucy's post and position.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

So, why does it matter which bastard we get first?

Seems that the most threatening one (at that time) was pursued and now has a wonderful clean bunkhouse in our custody. We can turn our sights back on the other hiding 'madster-mind' now...

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Seems that the most threatening one (at that time)

You honestly think that Saddam was more threatening than Osama bin Laden? I'm afraid I can't agree with you. Bin Laden succesfully attacked America on our soil killing 3000 innocent Americans. How is Saddam a bigger threat than that?
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

How is Saddam a bigger threat than that?

I wouldn't doubt for a second that he was funneling money to terrorists. Seems like a smart thing for him to do. Since he couldn't fight the US directly. Not that all terrorist groups liked him....seeing as his security people killed one of the best known terrorists of all time when he came to Iraq. They certainly did the world a favor there!

I think he is far more dangerous than Saddam...

No doubt, he is definately the highest threat.

I'm also worried about Hezbollah. They have a world wide reach, and as their secretary-general recently proclaimed, "Death to america is, and will stay our slogan". With plenty of money and perceived legitimacy in Damascus, Tehran, and Beirut, they are a real menace.

I wouldn't doubt for a second that he was funneling money to terrorists.

Absolutely.

And with any person trying to commit terrorist acts, when you put them in the headlights of the world they tend to chill for awhile. OBL was (and is) in the forefront of the world's sites, thus rendering him a bit more cautious in his visible undertakings.

Saddam, however, was doing things more discretely (to the world), thus wasn't under the world's thumb and focus (at that time). He wielded his power (at home) with disregard as to who he hurt, though.

Turning the spotlight on Saddam took nerve and resolve. Especially when it wasn't popular with the rest of the planet. It'll be very interesting to find out what was -really- in the background of this man as the interrogation continues.

Everyone -knew- OBL was evil. Now it's time to prove that Saddam not only turned his country into a blood-field and terror filled country but also supported known terrorists that cover more area than we even can imagine.

ltdiver

Because in a fire fight it makes a heck of a lot more sense to shoot at the guy that's shooting at you rather than the guy handing him bullets.
quade -

Because in a fire fight it makes a heck of a lot more sense to shoot at the guy that's shooting at you rather than the guy handing him bullets.

Ahhh.....but in the larger context it often makes since to execute a strategic move to save you from fighting so many "fire fights." Don't make me bust out the Sun Tzu-Fu on you. ;):D

Unless the bullet-handler is supplying more than one source.

ltdiver

You're talking the differences between strategy and tactics.

Strategy calls for removing the supply lines.
Tactics require you remove the guy that is immediately attacking you.

Obviously you eventually need to do both. Which is the priority depends on how removed you happen to be from the guy that is currently being shot at.
quade -

I wouldn't doubt for a second that he was funneling money to terrorists. ...

Well if that is the criteria for invading a country lets mount up and move on Saudi Arabia! Hey, they have oil too!

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes