skydiver51

Will you burnout or will you endure??

Do you have enough addiction to last time old age says "that's enough". At 52 and 7 yrs in the sport I know it will take old age to stop me. Probably into my 60's.

22 years Don....i'm still here....250 jumps this year.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I only started a year and a half ago (at 32) and have no intentions of quiting any time soon. We have a lot of jumpers that are 50 plus that make six or more jumps a day at our dz.

"If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive."
Josh Whipple 7/15/70-2/10/05

Do you have enough addiction to last time old age says "that's enough". At 52 and 7 yrs in the sport I know it will take old age to stop me. Probably into my 60's.

..Whether to quit jumping or continue when I'm >60 < will be concidered a "mid-life crisis" for sure.
I'm well in my 12th year and I'm 36 (I consider that adulthood finally);)
You and I are very young....yes, really!
"Bless Dave DeWolf! 71 and I can't keep up with him!"

Im 27 and will be in the sport 3 years on my 28th birthday. I have more of a desire now than when I started, just no money right now. But Im thinking ya left out an option. Till death do us part. At least in my current state. If Im not jumpin, Im miserable, in fact its just about time for another plastic weekend! :o
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Do you have enough addiction to last time old age says "that's enough". At 52 and 7 yrs in the sport I know it will take old age to stop me. Probably into my 60's

This is not a question you can ask. People stop for many reason...most are unforseen.

1. Get married and start popping out kids. Seen this a lot. If I have kids I have to admit it would be hard for me to do a high risk sport and risk THEIR lives with mine. Being single and 31 I can do what I damn well please, and my parents can party on my life insurance. But if I had a family.....Life insurance does not go a long way to send kids to school, and just pay the bills.

2. Have a close call. Almost get killed once (or Twice!) and see if it does not change your outlook. I have seen people with almost a thousand jumps land from a malfunction....and quit right there, or just slowly fade away as it finaly hits them that they can die doing this.

3. Get hurt. Break a major bone and go through the mounths or years of rehab. Some never come back from an injury...Not because they can't but because they don't want to risk that pain again.

4. Become broke. No money and you can't jump much...If you don't jump much you are dangerous. (How many Airspeed/Knights/Majic guys do you see get hurt a year? I mean they do more jumps than most will ever do in a life in one year.)

A very common way for people to quit...
Get hurt, spend lots on medical bills (Like 100,000 or more). You hate the pain of recovery, you can't jump for a year or better, and you are flat out scared to jump again.

Very easy to quit, and no one expects that they will get hurt.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

1. Get married and start popping out kids. Seen this a lot. If I have kids I have to admit it would be hard for me to do a high risk sport and risk THEIR lives with mine. Being single and 31 I can do what I damn well please, and my parents can party on my life insurance. But if I had a family.....Life insurance does not go a long way to send kids to school, and just pay the bills.

Skydive is less dangerus than driving a motorbike,and if your familyes dont gat any from incurance if you should get killed,your incured the wrong place

2. Have a close call. Almost get killed once (or Twice!) and see if it does not change your outlook. I have seen people with almost a thousand jumps land from a malfunction....and quit right there, or just slowly fade away as it finaly hits them that they can die doing this.

3. Get hurt. Break a major bone and go through the mounths or years of rehab. Some never come back from an injury...Not because they can't but because they don't want to risk that pain again.

this is 2 reassons i can see why people would drop out,but no ones says its when we gets old they come;)

4. Become broke. No money and you can't jump much...If you don't jump much you are dangerous. (How many Airspeed/Knights/Majic guys do you see get hurt a year? I mean they do more jumps than most will ever do in a life in one year.)

Becours you become broke dosnt mean that you dont ever get back. if you have the desire you´ll find your way back..

why are you dangerus is you dont jump much?(I need to know as i dont skydive much anymore)
If you use the right gear and acsept that you might shouldnt fly a extreme canopy, i cant see why you should be dangerus..The reason people are getting dangerus are that they think they can more than they are cabele to.

I think people sometimes get enough just like football playes sometimes get enough.. its human,as we dont fell for it any more why continiue then?I dont think you can say its becours you get older,your body might say stop but until that day i belive you can/will skydive if you want to

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Skydive is less dangerus than driving a motorbike

I don't agree with this. There are more motorcycle accidents since there are more people on motorcycles.

Skydiving is not less dangerous. Show me facts that support that and I will change my mind. This is something we tell whuffos.

if your familyes dont gat any from incurance if you should get killed,your incured the wrong place

A half million in insurance is nothing compared to the loss of a father and spouse...Besides insurance money runs out at some point. I don't knoe a single person who lost a spouse or parent that said "Well hes gone, but I got paid well"

It's not all about money...even though a family that loses an income earner will have money issues...Its also about not being there to raise your kids...Its about taking resposability for your children, and putting them ahead of yourself.

Becours you become broke dosnt mean that you dont ever get back. if you have the desire you´ll find your way back..

I have a friend with 107,000 in medical bills from a bad landing. He will not be jumping anytime soon.

why are you dangerus is you dont jump much?(I need to know as i dont skydive much anymore)
If you use the right gear and acsept that you might shouldnt fly a extreme canopy, i cant see why you should be dangerus..The reason people are getting dangerus are that they think they can more than they are cabele to.

You answered your own question.

Accident rates rise every year when the US's northern DZ's reopen for buissness....Why? Because people who have not jumped in 4-6 mths come out...They are uncurrent and don't act like they are.

Fact is...How many top 4 and 8 way folks have you seen bounce? They make 1000 jumps a year. They should have a higher accident rate due to the total number of possible exposures to a possible accident.

But the fact that they are supper current makes them safer than a normal jumper.

Currency is a big part of saftey. If you make 20 jumps a year you are not very current. If it has been 6 mths since your last jump, you are not current.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I don't agree with this. There are more motorcycle accidents since there are more people on motorcycles.

if you belive so,then its also more dangerus to skydive in USA than Denmark as your far more skydivers there:S

a statesitk is one were you calculate it all to % that way you dont have to think of more people...
I dont have it(black on whith) but have seen it.take my word or dont..

It's not all about money...

i do agree,but then dont blame the incurance.. then its about that you cant say ok that you might die from this activitet..

I have a friend with 107,000 in medical bills from a bad landing. He will not be jumping anytime soon.

nope but soon as he has payed them,he can start again if he want to.
again,not proberly incured.. im glad that i live in a cuntry were i pay a tax that secures me to get the treatment i need,and even helps more.

Fact is...How many top 4 and 8 way folks have you seen bounce? They make 1000 jumps a year. They should have a higher accident rate due to the total number of possible exposures to a possible accident.

i personaly have never been in US,but each time i get freinds home from there they tells about 4 and 8 way groups that goes to cypress alti,even at bigger events..

when ypou get more current on a thing you´ll be more relaxed about doing it.that way yopu can lack on the safty..seen many times..

And.... i dont think you forget all in 6 month..you´ll be abit rusty but not more...

sometimes its the highlights that yell at the newbies becours the new guy didnt do as they expected to.. instead of planing on a jump that anything could happen..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I like that 'til death do us part'
There is an 82 year old woman that comes out and does tandems a couple times a year at our dz. She is my role model. When I am that old, I still want to be living life to the fullest....and that includes skydiving.B|
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

if you belive so,then its also more dangerus to skydive in USA than Denmark as your far more skydivers there

How about based on population? If we have a higher % of jumpers, and they make more jumps....Then yes it is more dangerous to jump here than there. More people do die in the US than anywhere else...

but have seen it.take my word or dont..

I will not....Heres a neat bit for you...More people die in the US due to Bee stings than skydiving. More people die in the US due to slipping stepping out of their bathtubs....

Put there are tons more bee stings and bathtubs than skydivers.

So you can spin anything...

"Don't go outside you might die!!!!!'
"Don't take showers...They could kill you!"

i do agree,but then dont blame the incurance.. then its about that you cant say ok that you might die from this activitet

who blamed insurance? I didn't I said that insurance money does not replace a father or spouse. And yes the lack of money would hurt as well.

nope but soon as he has payed them,he can start again if he want to.
again,not proberly incured.. im glad that i live in a cuntry were i pay a tax that secures me to get the treatment i need,and even helps more.

A large number of skydivers are not insured...In this case he was unemployed. And it will take him MANY years to ever pay that off. Even without any insurance he still got medical care.

i personaly have never been in US,but each time i get freinds home from there they tells about 4 and 8 way groups that goes to cypress alti,even at bigger events..

Then you really should not talk...This weekend at Zhills we had a guy have a CYPRES fire...It was on a big way...I would bet that there are more CYPRES fires from big ways than from 4 way...It has happend in 4way...In fact I happend I think the Italian team a few years ago... I only know of one US 4way team that it happend to. So I guess the US and europe are tied?

when ypou get more current on a thing you´ll be more relaxed about doing it.that way yopu can lack on the safty..seen many times..

Then why is it that Airspeed the Knights Majic and people who jump everyday don't die more than weekenders? Im waiting for a good response for you on this.

And.... i dont think you forget all in 6 month..you´ll be abit rusty but not more...

And it is this attitude that gets folks killed...You lose ALOT in 6 mths. The longest I have ever gone is 3 mths. And I felt uncurrent as hell.

How about based on population? If we have a higher % of jumpers, and they make more jumps....Then yes it is more dangerous to jump here than there. More people do die in the US than anywhere else...

so if you go to Denmark whith you experience,then its a safer jump than if you made the exact same in US:S?please explain me why your a safer jumper in Denmark than if you jump in US???

I will not....

its ok by me;)

who blamed insurance?

your right i just reread it. sorry.

A large number of skydivers are not insured...In this case he was unemployed. And it will take him MANY years to ever pay that off. Even without any insurance he still got medical care.

He desided to jump uninsured.. his bad...
I have just recovered from an accsident that occured near 1,5 year ago,i have payed less than 100$ to treatments/medicine and pain killers.were talking long time here..

Then you really should not talk...

why not? you dont like to talk to me?;)
I dobelive my freinds can see the difference on a 4-8 way or a really big way:P

Then why is it that Airspeed the Knights Majic and people who jump everyday don't die more than weekenders? Im waiting for a good response for you on this.

if they did they wouldnt be there would they:ph34r::D
Experienced jumpers die for the resan you have.. "i have the knowlegde so i dont do anything wrong".

You lose ALOT in 6 mths. The longest I have ever gone is 3 mths. And I felt uncurrent as hell.

if you felt the same way by driving a car,then i might would considder it as a fair responce.by the way in DK youll need to show that you still can after 6 month off.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

so if you go to Denmark whith you experience,then its a safer jump than if you made the exact same in US?please explain me why your a safer jumper in Denmark than if you jump in US???

Its about population base, not each person....Simple fact is more folks die in the US than in Denmark...How many fatalites in Denmark last year? The US had 33 in 2002, 23 so far this year. The USPA claims to have about 35,000 members. Thats one death for every 1060 USPA members. The RATE might be higher, I don't know.

I dobelive my freinds can see the difference on a 4-8 way or a really big way

And I have seen WAY more CYPRES fires from big ways than 4 ways. Hell I just watched one this weekend. I have never seen one from a 4way team.

Experienced jumpers die for the resan you have.. "i have the knowlegde so i dont do anything wrong".

Define "experienced"...These guys are experienced...But a guy with 200 jumps might consider himself "experienced".

But a PRO 8 way team might make close to 10,000 jumps in a year, a PRO 4way team 5,000 jumps. But they don't hit nearly as much as guys with 500 total jumps.

Its about being current.

if you felt the same way by driving a car,then i might would considder it as a fair responce.by the way in DK youll need to show that you still can after 6 month off.

I feel the same way about a car....The biggest difference is this...I have 3,000 jumps and about 50 hrs of freefall in 10 years. I drive over 40 hrs a mth, and I have been driving for 15 years. 7200 hrs.
I almost drive every mth what it took me 10 years of skydiving to get.

Which do you think I am more comfertable with after a 3 mth layoff in both? Which do you think I pick up faster when I come back????

But yes after 3 mths of not driving I was not current either. I am not current flying a plane even though I have over 100 flight hrs...But I have not flown in a year...And yes I sucked bad when I went for a flight.

So currency is everything.

And the USPA says you should have retraining if you have been off that long.....But training is no sustitute for experience and currency.

I expect to be skydiving in my 60s - it's less than 2 years away.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It's directed towards people who will eventually say "this ain't fun or exciting any more." To me that's burnout

OK, but very few think they are going to burnout.

But many people do. Average time in the sport is 3 years and number of jumps is around 300.

Then folks leave.

Take a good look at the DZ next time you are there. Write down everyones name for a mth. Then look at that list in 3 years.....You will not be able to put a face with the name.

I look through old skydiving photos...And I wonder where all my friends are...I start to ask around...And some are dead, others just "disapeared".

How many fatalites in Denmark last year?

i GUESS it were 2 but thats a high # on normal DK standard..

And I have seen WAY more CYPRES fires from big ways than 4 ways. Hell I just watched one this weekend. I have never seen one from a 4way team.

your the one that lives were people fire their cypress, i have to belive you in this fact.I just know that many get home to DK and says i saw a hole team go in cypress or just single persons from a team.

Define "experienced"...These guys are experienced...But a guy with 200 jumps might consider himself "experienced".

i do agree,but rember that a jumper that IS experienced also makes mistakes,and it normaly goes bebours they are used to do somthing in a way,but had to do it on another way.

I have 3,000 jumps and about 50 hrs of freefall in 10 years.

thats just about 300jumps a year,are you then in the dangerzone? or were is the edge to keep you sharp?

But they don't hit nearly as much as guys with 500 total jumps.

we all know that 0-600 jumps are a dangerzone,but im just telling you that 600+jumps dont make you more safe of that reason. you still play whith small canopies which kills people..

Im happy that you are aware if your too rusty to drive/jump or fly a plane,just be sure to be aware not to be too current on either on them,thats what killsB|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I expect to be skydiving in my 60s - it's less than 2 years away.

I'm far from "retirement" (whatever that means) age (I'm 41 now) - I sure as hell ain't gonna sit on the porch and wish I did things - I want to sit on that porch abd be GLAD I did things!! For that matter, I don't even want the porch. I want to keep going until the moment I draw my last breath.

i GUESS it were 2 but thats a high # on normal DK standard..

And how many jumpers?

thats just about 300jumps a year,are you then in the dangerzone? or were is the edge to keep you sharp?

I feel comfertable at around 200 a year. If I did 50 I'd quit.

we all know that 0-600 jumps are a dangerzone,but im just telling you that 600+jumps dont make you more safe of that reason. you still play whith small canopies which kills people..

This year only 3 people with more than 1000 jumps died. 20 had less. 14 had less than 600.

So 1 - 600. 14
600-1000. 6
Over 1000. 3

Who looks to be in the danger zone?

Im happy that you are aware if your too rusty to drive/jump or fly a plane,just be sure to be aware not to be too current on either on them,thats what kills

I disagree....Or we would see airspeed bouncing like crazy.