froglady

Kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, & early 70's

My Dad and Grandfather through me into the middle of Pensacola Bay one summer day to see if I could swim. I came up laughing and swimming.

I learned to swim there too;)...actually in Bayou Texar....but grew up water skiing and boating all over Pensacola Bay. I'm lucky that my kids love the water and every summer day is spent at the pool or the beach. STill , today was almost 60 and beautiful and I had to force them outside to rollerblade.

Every time I see this, and other things, reposted, I find it remarkable how some skydivers can complain about whuffos and n-jump wonders getting things wrong, but themselves have an opinion about every single thing, including child psychology.

(edited to add that this is not about froglady in particular)

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

You're one of those people that don't think they should keep score in little league, aren't you? :P

Coached soccer for 2 seasons (indoor and outdoor) and stressed 'having fun' to the kids on my team. A friend also coached with me as well. Since we didn't know any of the kids, we generally picked all the misfits and such. Middle of the first game when the kids expected us to be upset that they were losing, we kept reasurring them that the importance was to have fun. Record after the 2 seasons? don't recall the wins, but 0 losses.

Not only did we ride in cars without seatbelts or airbags, we stood up in the front seat and layed down in the back deck of the car obstructing our parents vision.

Oh hell, I drove the darn thing when I was 4 or 5 - sat on Dad's lap and told him go faster and I steered. In the middle of the city.

I was one of those "unwanted" children. The difference was, when I was born, the culture still somewhat frowned on unwed mothers, there wasn't a government handout per child, and I was placed for adoption where the goal was to place me in a home I could grow up in.

When I was picked on, I hit back. My parents didn't do a thing...most of the time, I didn't bother to tell them, just gave the kid giving me a hard time a harder one back.

I cared about winning, but still enjoyed every sport activity I partipated in. I even liked winning spelling bees. I learned that losing was acceptable, the world didn't end, and it was more important to be nice about winning and losing than actually winning or losing.

I was allowed one hour per week of tv with the exception of sport and news. I could watch all of that I wanted. This encouraged me to read, to play outside, and to hang out with friends.

I didn't eat paint, nor get my head stuck between the bars of a crib. I didn't put anyone's eye out with scissors, and I tore around the neighborhood on my skateboard, rollerskates, or bike. I tried to jump my Schwinn over a kid laying down, and made it. I tried to jump my bike over a car, and didn't. I didn't wear a helmet, either.

I played in the street, I played at the neighbor man's house - he had chickens - and wasn't molested by him. I learned about chickens, and stank of chickenshit on occasion, but a hot bath and a good scrubbing took care of that.

I fell once, in front of my neigbor, while rollerskating. Tore the hell out of my knee. I sat there, bloody, sniffling, and he asked me to look and make sure I didn't damage his sidewalk. The bloodstain stayed there for years, and I still have a scar.

My treehouse was a plank laid between two sets of forked branches in the backyard, and I fell out of it a whole lot. But I loved being up there.

And on, and on.

The difficulty with those who are so overprotective is that the world is NOT a nice place - it's not bad, either. It just doesn't give a damn about you. And it's hard enough growing up and learning how everything works without having to learn that, too. I'd much rather send any child of mine out into the world understanding that there are wins, losses, and trees to fall out of, bikes to ride, planes to jump, and life to be lived without the excess of caution I see in the children today. They are scared of being in the world, of exploringtheir limits without the antibacterial soaps and medications provided to them by overprotective parents, encouraged by a greedy economy and irresponsible medical personnel.

And I am proud that my brother and sister-in-law gave the baby rollerskates for Christmas this year - she is learning how, and loving it. She's barely 3.

(good grief, I suspect I stumbled up upon my soapbox....sorry...I'm done! LOL)

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

hahahha. Now that doesnt surprise me!
I used to eat worms too...and climb trees and..and...

Were you having a slack day yesterday girl?

Good to see you online :)

You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.-Richard Bach

I'm still sickend buy the pansies many Americans have turned them selves into. I've had a 5 year old tell me they've been diagnosed with ADD, and are being medicated for it.

I dont think americans are pansies but this is interesting. I had never met a person with ADD until 2 nights ago when I was sitting around the hot tub with some tourists. They were all americans. Four of them. Three of claimed to have ADD and were taking drugs to make them better at school. Im no doctor but where im from your either good at school or your not and it just seems a bit ridiculous. Now i see adds for Adult ADD on TV, im sorry if i offend anyone, but my dad and I both had a good laugh at that one.

Well it is well known that ADD is one of the most overdiagnosed afflictions out there. I myself was diagnosed with it (college experiment) and found that funny.

I am an honors engineering student and I take no meds. I think that maybe there are true cases of ADD but I think more than half of the diagnosed cases are just regular old laziness are unwillingness to focus.

Personally I think it is crap and told the people performing that test that. But everyone seems to need an excuse for things that do not work out for them. Just another case of people not taking repsonsibility for their own actions.

But hey that is my opinion, I could be wrong. nah . . .

I dont think americans are pansies but this is interesting. I had never met a person with ADD until 2 nights ago when I was sitting around the hot tub with some tourists. They were all americans. Four of them. Three of claimed to have ADD and were taking drugs to make them better at school. Im no doctor but where im from your either good at school or your not and it just seems a bit ridiculous. Now i see adds for Adult ADD on TV, im sorry if i offend anyone, but my dad and I both had a good laugh at that one.

I ttoo laugh at it. I'm no doctor, or expert, but it seems funny to me that people survived without knowing of this mysterious ailment untill very recently. Now we are medicating for a condition a) we dont fully understand, and b) that I believe to be created by the society we live in.

We are surounded by fast moving information, flashing signs, short quick moving television programs, and even shorter flashier comercials.

Maybe (again I'm no expert) the condition we call ADD is just the brain's way of coping with the rapid influence of all this stimuli.

So maybe we are treating the symptoms of a problem we've induced. And (IMO) due to the nature of the yuppie society it becomes fasionable to lay blame for all you're unhapy about in your life on something else, rather than fix the problem. So medicating becomes fasionable. Rember Prozac?

Please don't missunderstand me, I KNOW there are people who have serious problems, and these drugs help. But when half the 2nd graders at a school are doped up on Ridilin, or some other "legal" and proscribed mind altering substance, you've got to wonder about the sensibility of it all. Sheesh, and marujana is still illeagal......
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Im sure there are people for whom the drugs have a genuinely positive affect. But how far are we willing to go?? If some one isnt good at school you drug them up!!?? Im good at maths and physics but not so good at english. Ill bet there are some drugs that i could take to help my creative writing:P I just dont beleive in it......its altering a childs mind with drugs in order to change who they are. Wrong in my opinion.