dropdeded

Met A Smoke Jumper Last Night

Saw this kid wearing a t shirt with a round canopy and wings that said something about California Smoke Jumpers, kid had a beanie cap with the same logo on it. Asked him if he was really a smoke jumper (duh). Man, this guy looked to be about 17 years old, we talked for about 15 minutes about his job and I was WAY impressed. He works out of somewhere up by Redding Ca. but his folks live here in Bakersfield. We talked about him maybe doing some sport jumping when he gets back up this way. He did seem pretty interested in the altitude part:P

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Those smokejumpers are tough. A typical jump for them (high altitude, rough terrain, trees, turbulence from nearby forest fires, etc.) makes a botched demo jump into downtown Compton, CA look safe!
They like to fell trees and clear underbrush for up to 30 hours at a stretch. Once that fire is out, they pick up 150 pound haul-out packs and hike up to 20 hours to the nearest road.
Smokejumpers make your typical dozen-a-day tandem instructor look lazy!

www.smokejumpers.com

www.smokejumpers.com
-----------------------------------------------------------

Yep, those would be the wings he was sportin. Dem guys(and girls) got some big balls. I coulda sat and talked to this kid for hours.

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Saw this kid wearing a t shirt with a round canopy and wings that said something about California Smoke Jumpers, kid had a beanie cap with the same logo on it. Asked him if he was really a smoke jumper (duh). Man, this guy looked to be about 17 years old, we talked for about 15 minutes about his job and I was WAY impressed. He works out of somewhere up by Redding Ca. but his folks live here in Bakersfield. We talked about him maybe doing some sport jumping when he gets back up this way. He did seem pretty interested in the altitude part:P

dropdeded

i heard about them, i'd find it hard enough to steer myself safetly into a forest that isnt on fire... let alone one thats on fire

Mercedes and I met a few smoke jumpers last year at a bar in Mcall Idaho and they invited us to tour their base and it was much fun. These guys are pretty tough! They had pictures on the walls of jumpers at the door and ALL the trees where on fire! We got to try on a jump suit and complete rig....and I thought my rig was big! They were jumping custom made rounds with about 100lbs of gear. They also have to pack that stuff out sometimes up to 10 or 15 miles! :)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

After seeing the pics from the link above, I remembered the smoke jumper who gave us the tour saying something to the affect of BLM smoke jumpers use square chutes and NFS jumpers use round......just a added detail!:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Damn! Why is it you have so many great jobs in the US that simply don't exist over here in the UK! I'd LOVE that as a job.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

A Smokejumper from Alaska was in Taupo, NZ trying to complete AFF at the same time as me. Having looked at the conditions those guys are used to jumping in, I can understand why he was a tad frustrated at not being able to get any further than AFF2 because of 12knot winds!!

I may be gullible but at least I have a magic fish