samhussey

Blister gas found in Iraq?

Maybe we should wait for the further tests. Months ago we supposedly found 50 gallon drums of Sarin gas but furhter tests were needed and we never heard about it again.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Hey, just playin devils advocate here...
But why produce more when you're being very carefully watched, if you can get away with burying them and saying they've been "put beyond use". 10 years is a long time to hide stuff in the desert.
We all know the government exaggerated the immediate threat to our security. Most of us knew this before the war even started. But Saddams government has always posed a threat, even if it was a small one. He could have escalated it at a whim. The less open he was with the world, the more many governments percieved the threat to be growing, and so they felt the need to take action. I would have done the same in the situation. Or done the job properly and deposed him after the first gulf war.

The stuff was meant to be leftover from the Iran-Iraq war. Not so much of the "he continues to produce WMD and is building up his arsenal" that we were all told about.

I really hope you are not an American, you sound like you would be a good spokes person for Sadam.

I really hope you are not an American, you sound like you would be a good spokes person for Sadam.

This is where the fireworks start.

This sounds like you are saying that criticism of the government equates to traitor. One of the many reasons we hold our freedoms dear is the ability to criticize the governments actions.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

But Saddams government has always posed a threat, even if it was a small one. He could have escalated it at a whim. The less open he was with the world, the more many governments percieved the threat to be growing, and so they felt the need to take action.

How about two governments? I know there are others there but really US and UK are running the show and even the UK wouldn't be there without us and we would be there without them. If we are worried about threats then what about North Korea? Oh that's right they actually have a real army that would kill the 30,000 or so troops we have in South Korea before we could do anything about it and they might even lob a nuke at California in the process. Sure we would eventually flatten the country but at a huge US cost.

... Or done the job properly and deposed him after the first gulf war.

I am opposed to what we are doing in Iraq now and I was opposed then. However when we did go in then we should have finished it. But we didn't because it was AGAINST THE UN MANDATE.

Edited for typos

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

This is where the fireworks start.

This sounds like you are saying that criticism of the government equates to traitor. One of the many reasons we hold our freedoms dear is the ability to criticize the governments actions.

As much as I disagree with alot of the Anti-Bush rhetoric I must agree. It is the most important of our rights. The ability to speak freely against the goverment is imperative to maintaing our freedom.

Unless you disagree with me, then off with your head:P

Per MSNBC top of the hour news...

"Suspicious weapons" - "Perhaps as many as 200 shells were found by Danish troops buried in the banks of the Tigris river (N of Basrah). 4 preliminary tests have been concluded, all show blistering agent. Weapons experts are on the way to determine the contents..."

Interesting.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

36 whole rounds.......

dont forget to say it were the DK group down there that discoverede it.. they also just arested a baath leader.. i guess i get a freind home here first in feb whith a nice medal hanging on his neck,ohh an that should be a GOOD reason to pay beer.

how ever it aint the veapons US are looking for,theese grannates are so old and rusty that they think they are back from the old Iran war..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

The British press has bee reporting that most of the weapons inspectors have been effectively stood down as they now realise that they won't find anything. The reason given was that Saddams scientists were too scared to tell him the truth that sanctions were too effective and told him lies which were picked up by Western intelligence.

Saddam was an idiot for not letting the weapons inspectors round when they could have cleared him and the country would have remained more stable than it is now.
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

If you spent 6 months poking around US firing and bombing ranges in the western US, I expect you'd come up with a lot more than a handful of 15 year old shells. The US had a huge chemical and bio program, and the nature of the military is that some stuff always goes astray.

Any idea how much weapons grade Plutonium is unaccounted for in this country?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Saddam was an idiot for not letting the weapons inspectors round when they could have cleared him and the country would have remained more stable than it is now.

Saddam let the inspectors around the country... They reported that there was NO evidence of any weapons program in Iraq. It didn't clear him, and the country is unstable anyway.

The US is beginning to quietly withdraw the inspectors (400 last week), and will probably continue to do so until June where the Coalition passes control to the governing council.

According to the rest of the report they had been buried 10 years. Hardly recently.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Per MSNBC top of the hour news...

"Suspicious weapons" - "Perhaps as many as 200 shells were found by Danish troops buried in the banks of the Tigris river (N of Basrah). 4 preliminary tests have been concluded, all show blistering agent. Weapons experts are on the way to determine the contents..."

Interesting.

you said...

According to the rest of the report they had been buried 10 years. Hardly recently.

At what point did I ever say "recently"? All I said was "interesting".

I took this as it was being reported from the top of the hour news on MSNBC.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

At what point did I ever say "recently"? All I said was "interesting".

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you did. I just can't get worked up over something that has been buried that long and apparently was in such bad shape many of them were leaking. Not likely to be a very useful weapon.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes