mailin

Photo Editing

I just recently got my first digital camera.

My cats are my life, and as such I take lots of pictures of them. They are siamese, and have blue eyes, which don't photograph well. I know that I need to keep steady light at camera level when taking their picture so that their eyes don't look like those in the attached picture... but thats not always ideal. I want to edit the pictures so they look more 'normal'. I have photoshop 7 but am not very skilled in using it for photo editing - can anyone give me tips?

Thanks all!

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

hmmm... for that pic, I'd find a round fuzzy brush about the same size as the eyeballs and paint them in.

You could also find a pic of cat eyes, and cut them out by using the lasso tool. create a layer underneath your pic and paste the eyes onto it. Go back to your pic layer, using the magic wand, click on the white eyeballs to highlight and delete making a window to see the eyes underneath
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

I take a lot of pictures of my cats too. :) And if you are gonna use the flash, it might work better if you can time it when they're not looking directly at the camera.

I'm no photography expert, but these are some things I've found when taking pics of my kitties. :)

I say leave em like that... makes em look all creepy and sinister, like how cats really are! :P

naw, just cross-eed from inbreeding. (and they're not really born in Siam!:$)

PS 7?
Don't you have to be a PHD or something?
I can't even claim to know how to work PS elements 2.0 to it's potential, but I digress...
There are some very capable PSrs here. If you don't get satisfaction on that subject here try putting a rig on your cat & posting in the photo forum.
However if you want to get a shot that captures the
depth & color of your cat's eyes, I would suggest turnning your flash off and using an indirect light source,
(both to the cat's eyes & the camera), I'm guessing here, but I would think the right amount of light
(enough to keep cats pupils small), in the right place
off to one side, (try distracting the cat so he's not looking into the camera & [cat's pupils being vertical]) or ambiant might work. May need a tripod.

Questions; Is shot in post w/flash or light from behind camera? What kind of camera?
I know this can be done.
Check this sitehttp://www.dpreview.com
Lu7k
D

What you are seeing is the reflective coating on the back side of the cat retinas. This reflective coating is similar to the reflective tape on some garments. Its purpose is to reflect the light back through the retina and give it another shot at capturing some photons. This helps give cats better night vision.

Turning up the light level in the room as much as possible so that you'll be using the flash as little as possible will help. This also helps to narrow the cat's iris which shows more eye color and less reflected light coming back out of the eyes.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Jennifer -

If you can get your cats to stay still, I might suggest you use the "night scene" mode of your camera. You might have to steady the camera on a tripod (the mini tripods you can get at WalMart work really well) because the shutter will open for a full 2 seconds. The camera will also use the largest aperture setting.

What's that all mean? No flash, but awesome lighting with no harsh shadows and no red (or in the case of pets, green) eyes. Look at this picture I took of the living room on Christmas Eve ... the room was lit by nothing but the Christmas tree lights and the fire, but the picture looks great. No harsh shadows, and soft lighting.

And look at this picture of me and some of my skydiving friends at a very nice (and expen$ive!!) dinner on New Year's Eve. I told everyone to hold really still for the picture. The shutter was open for 2 seconds. Look at how everyone else is blurred. But look at the lighting! No flash, no harsh shadows, no red eyes, and the lighting looks great even in that dimly (and softly) lit room.

During the daytime in less than ideally lit rooms, if your subjects (i.e. your cats) hold still, you can use the night mode to get great lighting and colors in your photos without a flash, shadows, and green eyes.

Most digital cameras have some sort of "night scene" mode, and using it is usually as simple as flipping the selector switch to "night scene" or selecting it from a menu, pointing, and shooting. Try it.

Good luck.

B|

FunBobby

Thanks so much for the advice everyone! I think I"m going to refrain from taking pictures of them with a flash. I haven't fiddled with night mode on this camera yet (which is a Kodak 5 mpx btw), but will plan to in the future - those pictures must look great (can't get into the site actually)!

One neat thing about PS is that I can fiddle with the light levels, and did so on the before and after pics you'll see attached, and I can live with that. They're not as crisp as I'd like them to be, but its just for my scrapbook, so they'll do ;)

Btw, Siamese and Burmese are two different breeds of cat. Burmese cats have gold eyes. I've been owned by siamese cats my entire life... they've got great personalities!

Thanks for the advice - I'll be trying lots of new things!

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

hey mailin,
I know a little photoshop..so i added the pic for you..hope you like it..<-- if not..feel free to say so..

here's how i did it:
Get a pic of a Siamese cat(who has about the same eyes as your own cat has),
open them both in photoshop(image has to be (almost) the same size),
next use you healing brush --> press ALT and select the corner of and eye (in the image where the eyes are normal blue)
Next up: use your healing brush in the picture where the eyes whited out (if this has not happened, try to white them out a little, so the colors remain the same when u brush), start at the same corner as you selcted in the other pic...now go over the eye untill it has filled...

hope this 'll help,
good luck photographing

last edit: try sticking a pice of normal paper in front of your flash, it will make the flash less sharp (soften the light somewhat)

Jennifer -

If you can get your cats to stay still, I might suggest you use the "night scene" mode of your camera. You might have to steady the camera on a tripod (the mini tripods you can get at WalMart work really well) because the shutter will open for a full 2 seconds. The camera will also use the largest aperture setting.

What's that all mean? No flash, but awesome lighting with no harsh shadows and no red (or in the case of pets, green) eyes. Look at this picture I took of the living room on Christmas Eve ... the room was lit by nothing but the Christmas tree lights and the fire, but the picture looks great. No harsh shadows, and soft lighting.

And look at this picture of me and some of my skydiving friends at a very nice (and expen$ive!!) dinner on New Year's Eve. I told everyone to hold really still for the picture. The shutter was open for 2 seconds. Look at how everyone else is blurred. But look at the lighting! No flash, no harsh shadows, no red eyes, and the lighting looks great even in that dimly (and softly) lit room.

During the daytime in less than ideally lit rooms, if your subjects (i.e. your cats) hold still, you can use the night mode to get great lighting and colors in your photos without a flash, shadows, and green eyes.

Most digital cameras have some sort of "night scene" mode, and using it is usually as simple as flipping the selector switch to "night scene" or selecting it from a menu, pointing, and shooting. Try it.

Good luck.

B|

ok..since i got nothing to do, i changed the link (click on them in the quote) and put them on my own website (they will be there one day...hopefully Mailin sees em before that)

ooh thanks!

I'm a real avid scrapbooker, so I take a ton of what could be considered worthless pictures - but I want to make sure that I get all the details to pass down to the next generation - and I was trying to get a picture of my xmas tree that looked just like that link! Never could do it - and know I know why!

Thanks so much guys - you rock! :ph34r:

Jennifer
Arianna Frances