jumpinfarmer

snowboarding ???

Snowboarding is harder to learn then skiing. I skiied for years before trying to board and my ass/wrists hurt for days afterwards. Getting really good at snowboarding seems to be easier then getting really good at skiing though.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Snowboarding is very hard, UNLESS... you already know how to surf. You use many of the same muscles and manuevers (spelling?).

Warning = 4 of the 5 friends I have gone snowboarding w/ have broken their thumbs, fingers, etc. snowboarding - apparently, this is a very common injury when learning.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

I skiied for years before trying to board and my ass/wrists hurt for days afterwards.

Tried snowboarding once, lets put it this way my ass was hurting more from constantly falling down and whipe outs than from my first AFF jump. The one in which I flared way too high and did a modified PLF in which my ass took a good deal of the impact.

i'll have to say the reverse...i hated skiing (till last weekend) but took to snowboarding like a fish to water...of course i'd had lots of time on surf/skateboards before.....

now i'm trying to reprogram my balance to skiing....

gotta stay out of the back seat, gotta stay out of the back seat

and having an absolute blast doing it... B|B|:)

Well I was a skiier before I started to snowboard, and I took to snowboarding a lot better easier. I competed alot and traveled through out New England and Canada. The biggest thing about snowboarding that you need to keep in mind when trying to learn is your head and shoulders lead everything. Place your weight about 70-30 more on the front foot. Put your arms straight out parallel to the board, turn your shoulders 45 degrees and the board will start to turn. Then lean and you will catch your edge. Remember dont lean back, you will pick up speed, just dont let it scare you, stay leaning forward and concentrate on your turning.

Joe
PS-photo attached is me being a goofball on a small jump in my friends yard.
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

We'd never skiied before so we both decided to learn to snowboard. Derek taught himself and was a natural. I on the other hand hated life my 1st day out. The 2nd time a friend of ours went with and taught me, after that it was no big deal and I started improving fast. My only injury was caused by another snowboarder hitting me so I don't consider that being caused by me learning to snowboard.

I'm now in season 2 and having no problem with the groomed blacks.
Fly it like you stole it!

okay i have snowboarded for about 9 years now and wold put myself at an low level advance boarder.. i can take all the rns and ride em how ever i want but i'm not into all the jumps/freestlye stuff... i can also ski at an intermiediat level and find snowboarding much easier. i started to board afte i had learned to ski..... it's all about thinking about what is going on as you travel down the mountain. if you can get the grasp of edge vs. what side of the board you should be traveling on it's prety easy... you screw it up though and you can be doing the traitional backwards leap down the hill when you catch that edge....

and the skill you can aquire is also proportionate to the hill syou have.. starting out in ohio qwe had tiny hills and wellover the years i've gt to board in austria, germany and now utah and i would have to say for my style of riding the mountain i was at in austria was by far the best........

any one (tht i know from the forums) if they want has a place to stay here in utah. i'm about 1 hour from most all ski resorts.....

A word of advice, would be to get some gloves that have wrist protectors. As many pointed out, this is the most common injury.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

i actually think snowboarding is better.
i've skied for a week and like it a lot, then switched to snowboard.

both were great, but i think the learning curve on the snowboard was better.

i didnt even get hurt, maybe its because i've practiced falling a lot as a kid ;)

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

I didn't find it that difficult. You'll be on your ass most of your first day though.

I completely agree, I found it far easier than skiing - it took me about 2 hours to get as good at boarding as it took 2 days with skiing, I love skiing though and will never go to the dark side again :P

Joke for skiiers - Whats the difference between a boarder and a boarding instructor?

... about three days. :D

I was a skier most of my life. Then decided to give snowboarding a try. A snowboarding instructor traded services with me. He taught me how to snowboard, and I taught him how to skydive. I suggest taking at least a 1/2 day lesson. Just like anything else new that you are learning. The more back to back practice you get, the better.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I started snowboarding cuz I couldn't ski for shit. ;)

It'll come relatively natural if you have a pretty good sense of balance, but you're still going to bust your ass a few times, guaranteed or your money back.

Just my $.99 super value meal...

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.