nocivus

Pilot 150 to Crossfire2 139

Hi all,

I'm considering downsizing AND changing canopy models, from a Pilot 150 to a Crossfire2 139.

I am currently lightly loaded (1.1:1 on the Pilot) and will be 1.23:1 on the XF2.

Sounds like a safe transition, but i want to hear the experts' opinions ;)

Appreciate any comments and thoughts.

Blue skies.

I put a few jumps on a XF2 at about that same wing loading, and I could tell it wasn't designed for that. The openings tended to be a little wild and it did not fly in turbulence well...2 of the reasons Icarus recommends a higher wing loading. Im on one now at 1.6, still towards the bottom end of the range, but it flies and opens MUCH better.

As for the canopy transition, there is a huge difference is between the two. The Pilot is an awesome canopy, but the difference in control, turn aggressiveness, recovery not only in front riser dives but also in a toggle turn, and "twitchiness" are a decently sized hurdle in my opinion. As mentioned above, I agree that the safire 2 is a good stepping stone before going to such a tapered wing.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

It's not that i want to move away from the pilot, it's just that it's hard to find a 135 Pilot in Portugal and this xf2 is almost new :)

What do you mean by "twitchiness"?

That might be because there is no such thing as a pilot 135 ;) A 132 does exist though. There are also plenty other 135 canopies that would be suitable, like safire, sabre 2, fusion, electra.

A crossfire is a high perfomance canopy, meaning compared to a pilot it will be very much more sensitive to your opening bodyposition, it will turn faster, and dive much longer. It'll also be more sensitive to packing. It likes to be flown at a higher wingload.

It's not recommended to jump a canopy like that until you have a couple hundred jumps (over here, you even need 700), for all those reasons. You'd be better off with another 135 at your experience level. Like i said, there should be plenty of 135s for sale in your neck of the woods eh Europe :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Hi,

I had the same dilemma as you have! I was jumping a Pilot 150 and did approx 150-200 jumps on it, i then tried a Safire2 149 and fell in love with the Safire's openings. I then bought a Safire 2 132 (custom made for somebody else) and kept that for 200 jumps then i wanted more from my canopies and went for a Crossfire2 119.
The transition from the Pilot 150 to a Safire2 132 was not that noticeable, it was lighter on the toggles and risers and dived quicker and covered more distance over the ground on landing. But i would of expected this, to go from a Pilot to a Crossfire maybe biting off a bit more than you can chew at the moment?
I would def agree with the above statement of trying out the Safire2 before going to a crossfire2. It is an awesome transitional canopy.
Hope this helps??
At long last the light at the end of the tunell isnt an on coming train!!!