flygirl03

Pilots check-in

oh yea I'm deaf and left arm amputee too..

Mike

My CFI/CFII was a left arm amputee. His prosthesis could get quite annoying, as it wasn't always where he thought it was!

I have a SODA certficate to fly without the Prosthesis arm I hate it. I need it for skydiving to flare however..

Mike

oh yea I'm deaf and left arm amputee too..

Mike

My CFI/CFII was a left arm amputee. His prosthesis could get quite annoying, as it wasn't always where he thought it was!

I have a SODA certficate to fly without the Prosthesis arm I hate it. I need it for skydiving to flare however..

Mike

When you read FAA standards, distracting the student or candidate pilot is one of them. That prosthesis certainly did the job!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Just over 1,000 hours multi and just over 1,000 hours single engine time.

Almost all piston, less than 50 hours of turbine time.

Flown 26 Atlantic crossings and 3 Pacific crossings.

Pretty impressive. What type of aircraft have you done those crossings in? I've done quite a few crossings of both(probably 30 Atlantic, 20 Pacific) but they were with 2 or 3 engine jets or 2 engine turboprops. I did a Pacific crossing once in a single - in a turbine Thrush. I took a bailout rig with me, because I didn't plan on ditching...I figured if I lost the engine, I would bail out with my survival gear to increase the probability of survival.

Mike

I would bail out with my survival gear to increase the probability of survival.

I was thinking about that today as I looked down at the North Atlantic from 39,000 ft. I thought...."Hmmm....a parachute wouldn't do me much good. Just prolong the suffering." :D

The chance of surviving a ditching is much lower than that of surviving a landing in the water under a canopy(especially a round). I had full water survival gear - INCLUDING a drysuit(wearing it the whole flight). I would much rather take my chances by bailing out(especially since I was in a fixed gear single engine airplane) than ditching.

Mike

I logged the time in all of the different aircraft and the crossings while working for an aircraft sales company.

The Pacific crossings were done once in a Piper PA-31-350 Chieftain to South Korea and twice in a Cessna C-303 Crusader from Japan back to the states.

This is off of the top of my head but the Atlantic crossings were done in Piper Malibu's (3), Piper Seneca II & III, PA31-310 and 350's, Cessna 303, 310, 335, 340, 414, Beech Barron, Duke. There may have been something else but I think that is it for the crossings.

At the time, the trips were such an adventure you don't think you'll ever forget any detail. However, if I could do anything over again, I would document the trips better with a journal and more pictures. It was a great two year adventure.

-mh.

edited to add: I agree with your comment about ditching under canopy. I regularly carried my rig with me.

Ok here is the progression, flew my hand out of the car window, then plastic non-working model airplanes on my mom's floor, then working model aircraft in a neighbor's field, then Cessna 172's at a local airport, and now big old student canopies anywhere I get a chance. :)
-I've got ~42 hours in a Cessna 172SP, but never took the tests for my private pilot rating... money and my interest both became short at the time.
-I'm done with AFF, but still on student status with 25 jumps so far.

It would also be nice to know how many of us can remember being fascinated with flight from a young age. For me personally, as long as I can remember I have adored anything that involved getting away from Earth. Heh, that brings back memories of the time I wrecked my 4-wheeler when a low flying fighter jet flew over and caught my attention(there is a lot of military air traffic around here). :$ Don't stare and drive kids!

-syn
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain
a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty
nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

It would also be nice to know how many of us can remember being fascinated with flight from a young age

remember the little balsa wood gliders? after a while i think they started making them out of styrofoam.... well, when i was little, they were my favorite toy :)i loved to make paper airplanes too.

I've got ~42 hours in a Cessna 172SP, but never took the tests for my private pilot rating... money and my interest both became short at the time.
-I'm done with AFF, but still on student status with 25 jumps so far

Good luck finishing up the "A".
Maybe someday you will have the $ and Interest to finish the PP-ASEL too:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit

OMG, I used to love making paper airplanes too. A friend and I made all kinds of funky shaped ones for a science project once when I was in like 6th grade.

I don't remember the little balsa glider, my fav was the big styrofoam glider that was shaped like a passenger jet. I do have one little balsa rubberband powered plane I got as a gift for christmas this year though, so it may be close. Sounds funny saying that at 22 years old, but hey people know little things can still make me happy! :)
Good luck to you on AFF and the A as well. Who knows about the PP... as luck would have it the flight school I did all my pilot training just called me yesterday to see if I was interested in finishing up... I may end up taking them up on the offer in a few months.

-syn
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain
a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty
nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Good luck to you on AFF and the A as well

:)

. Who knows about the PP... as luck would have it the flight school I did all my pilot training just called me yesterday to see if I was interested in finishing up... I may end up taking them up on the offer in a few months.

Tell them sure you are interested..... at a discounted rate ;)
Good luck if you do decide to finish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit