AggieDave

Guitar: Chord progression question

Alrighty, I've been playing with some different chord progressions, not your standard rock A-D-E, E-A-B, and G-C-D. Been trying to pull some trumpet knowledge in, but most of my chord knowledge revolves around blues progressions and I haven't been able to apply it very well to the guitar.

Right now, I've got something I'm trying to figure out, I can hear it in my head, but I can't get it right (stupid lack of guitar skill). Its sort of different sounding, but I think it sounds pretty cool.

Slowly, first three lines of verse 1 go E-G-E per line, for the fourth line, last part of the progression for the first part of the verse, I want to go to a higher chord, come to a middle chord and end back on E. I can't figure out something cool, but then again, I don't even claim to know 1/2 of all the different guitar chords.

Anyone have any ideas?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Well, if you're a blues fan then you could always use the classic (yet largely overdone) progression of following up your E-G-E with an A-G then back to E, and if I had a guitar in front of me right now I'd tell ya more, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I don't know how much you know about music theory, but your inquiry seems like one that needs a music theory response. So put on your hip waders, we're going deep.

The first thing to do would be to figure out every single chord that fits in the key of E. If you think of the 7 scale degrees in any key, you can build a chord on any one of those notes. If we number the notes of a major scale 1-7, then build a triad on each one of those notes, we get seven different chords that can be used in that key. The I, IV, and V chords are major (thus the capital Roman numerals), the ii, iii, and vi chords are minor (thus the lower case Roman numerals). The seven chord is diminished, and it is not used very often, so we'll ignore it. The E major scale is: E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, (and D#). So if you build a chord on each one of those notes (except D#) you get E, F#m, G#m, A, B, and C#m. Or you could think of them as the I, ii, iii, IV, V, and vi chords. Try those chords first, then try "borrowing" chords from other keys like A or Em(which is where your G came from).

Having a knowledge of music theory really helps me in my guitar playing. It's all just a formula.

Hmm, you could try: B - D7 - G - Bb7 - Eb

Or you could try: E - Ab7 - Dbm - B7 - Bb7 - E7 - Eb

Or there's the classic: F# - F# - D7 - D7 - F#m7 - F#m7 - D7 - D7 - Gm7 - Gm7 - Eb7 - Eb7 - Am7 - D7 - Gm7 - C7

10 points to whoever can name the fist two songs, 50 if you can name the third ;)
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Aggie:

A simple rule I've figured out is to look at all of the notes on the triads and try to find one note that is found between your two chords in the transition.

Beeron is recommending the C#m. E-A-C#m-B are roots of a standard chord progression. Mess around with it and get "Glycerine" and "when I Come Around." It is found everywhere.

Here's a trick. Look at the chord you are playing and think of the next oen you want. Pluck each string individually till you find a note that fits. Then make it your root and try maj, maj7, minor, and sevenths with it. Typically, you'll find something that works for what you want to do.

Also, do what Joe Satriani or the Beatles would do and play the wrong note or chord. Example? G-E-Am-D is a standard Do-Wop progression (it may work for you, too). Think "Earth Angel." Now, go G-E-Bm-D. Sounds more melancholy, right? It's the verse chords to "She Loves You." The Beatles, once the voices came in, made it work.

That's some suggestions for you. The best I can do for now without my guitar(though I've got a pretty good ear - damn near perfect pitch).

But, try things a little differently.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The seven chord is diminished, and it is not used very often, so we'll ignore it.

Ignore it? What? But it's such a great sound, particularly in a minor key. Functionally it can take you almost anywhere and is great when playing around with tritone substitution!
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Thanks everyone!

I'm having to relearn all of this stuff, since I haven't really thought about it in a long time. Since I've been playing the same keys/similar songs with the TAMU Jazz Band I've quit thinking about keys and progessions, just letting my trumpet play its self.

I'm not nearly to that point with the guitar, so I'm actually having to really think about these things.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."