Unstable

Grommet die for #0 (1/4", 6mm) stainless

Hey,

Can some folks offer me some of their seasoned rigging advice?

As I understand, grommet dies are different for the various sizes (duh) and also for stainless or brass/nickle.

How exactly are the dies different for brass/nickel and stainless?

Does anybody have a good resources to buy a die for stainless for a reasonable (under $50) price?
=========Shaun ==========

Because stainless is so much harder than brass, the dies have to be a lot harder for stainless. The better ones I've seen also use a hydraulic press instead of just a hammer to set them.

And they aren't cheap.

HERE is the Para-gear grommets and setting tools page.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

SS aint cheep... but there are cheaper prices around...

If memory serves, I went with this brand setter:
http://www.csosborne.com/

Don't remember if I bought it direct or through a reseller. You do need to verify that you are getting one intended for SS. You'll ruin a normal setter with SS grommets.

Seattle fabrics also sells this setter.
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/gromsnap.html#C.S.%20Osborne%20Spur%20Grommet%20Setter

Also, make sure you get the one for Spur grommets.

Remember that Leather and Sail/Boating supply shops carry many of the hardware items that we use. Just be careful to get like parts when going to outside vendors... you a little bit on your own there...

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I bought both grommets and tools from CS Osbourne last year. I'm very happy with both the price and the quality. Phone them up, they will ship you what you need, but I believe one gross is the minimum quantity if you want grommets. Much cheaper than Paragear.

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

:)
You need a tool that have a ROUND finish of the grommet setting - see UPT / Sun Path / RI h/c.

The best source for that # 0 SS HAND DRIVE SETTING TOOL is from "SITMPSON" they have all you need in a very high quality.

Buy the SS tool it is good for Brass as well.

It should be the right tool for SS Spur Grommet & Washer with round finish.

Also buy the stimpson #0 SS grommet which have 3 shank sizes: short , long & XL (XL is for vey specific work like INFINITI main risers with the housing) Most h/c use Long Shank #0 SS.

The code is: #0 RRG/SW HAND DRIVE FOR SS
(RRG= Rolled Rim Grommet & SW= Spur Washer)
Contact at Stimpson:

[email protected]
or
[email protected]

I hope that helps.

Cheers

The difference between brass grommet and stainless steel grommet dies is the die steel resistance or/and heat treatment. Using a lathe I have made several grommet dies (no. 0, 3, 4 and 8). I always have chosen at the time the hardest steel available in my area like the cold rolled steel with the proper amount of carbon to be able to heat treat them. Tool steel would be the best.
Have a look at the picture. I have made those two dies for brass grommets (years ago) but because of the good quality of the steel, even without heat treatment I have successfully used the small one for a stainless steel grommet no. 0 installation. There is no trace of damage on the small die.
Note 1. Die for grommet size 0 have the same dimensional spec both for brass or stainless steel while the dies for slider grommets (brass and stainless steel) are different. The no. 8 die shown on the picture is for brass grommets.

Note2. The whole die doesn't have to be necessarily made in one piece. Just the part in contact with the grommet to be should be made of hard steel.
I hope that answer your question:)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Hi Shlomo,

Thanks for the email addresses.

The last time that I talked with anyone at Stimpson

http://www.stimpson.com/

they said that they were no longer selling to the retail market. They said to go to:

http://www.csosborne.com/

I'll have to contact them to see if this has changed; definitely prefer to deal directly with them.

Although, they did repair my S/S #0 setter when I needed new inserts. >:(

It's only $$$$$$$ :P

JerryBaumchen

:)
I hope to see you at the PIA 2011.

I got my tools from Stimpson - no issues.

They have a great service.

The price is not so high - around $ 180 - 200 for the #0

I also got from Stimpson a 9/16" Eyelet hand drive tool for STRONG PEP canopies diapers & that tool cost more.

Cheers