KMonster

Verizon phone anyone?

My phone doesn't work anymore after a freak accident. I was sleeping with my phone by my head on my trip to Idaho and it got knocked off in the middle of the night. It happened to land in the little cup of water by the bed on the floor and didn't tip over because it just leaned onto a pair of sweat pants and stayed upright. My phone sat in the water all night.

I'm broke and can't afford to pay full retail for a new one, does anyone have an extra Verizon phone out there that they want to sell?

Katie

Thanks for the advice, it's a good idea. Unfortunately, I just got the phone a few months ago and don't get an upgrade yet, I also didn't have insurance. They said it was full retail for a new one, unless I had an old Verizon phone. They could just reactivate that for me.

Katie.

Ebay.

aCheap.

$26 and 2 minutes left. Lot's more where that came from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3076135933&category=15933

Edit add: Cheaper:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3076755422&category=15939
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Cell phones REALLY do not take well to water, unfortunately. I see people come in the store every day who have either had their phones stolen or damaged (cars driven over them, falling in toilets are my personal favorites). In almost anything I think insurance is a waste of money, but I think in terms of a cell phone (especially on a two-year contract) it's worthwhile having.

Oh, just a small note that the sales reps probably don't want you to know (because they don't get commisions for this): with Verizon on a two-year contract, you can usually upgrade your phone after one year, provided you switch to a price-plan of 49.99 a month or higher and sign a new two-year agreement. This WILL bump back your eligibility for a $100 credit for another 22 months, but it beats paying full retail. Oh, and you can lower your pricing plan back down to 34.99 or 39.99 at any time, if you want to. In other words, feel free to cancel your insurance after your first year is up. :)
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

Here's what I did... (after i got it out of the river...)

If it's only a few (less than 6?) months old... it's covered by warranty... Don't tell 'em, you soaked it overnite with your dentures though.

I gave mine about 2 days to dry the best it could, took it apart, removed case and battery. Then took the guts and did short burst in the microwave... First a few 3-5 second runs on medium... then got braver and was up to 20 second blast on high wattage... (I did see one or two little flashes from with in the guts... that indicated mission accomplished.)

I then reassembled it and walked into the Verizon store...said it quit working and asked how long the warranty was on my new phone... they replaced it and I voiced a little concern about it going out so quickly. They assured me that they would warrant the replacement for a full year from that day... You won't believe it... same thing happened the next canoeing season... kinda like a constant upgrade period. Last one was a newer model too... no charge.

I do have a spare I'll send you, I forget how I got the free extra.

Chris

falling in toilets are my personal favorites

I had that happen to a cell phone of mine years ago. I gave it away...:D (It still worked great!).

ltdiver

:D:D Happened to me too. It still worked, but I had a hard time using it:S
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I had that happen to a cell phone of mine years ago. I gave it away...:D (It still worked great!).

ltdiver

I bet if we were to start a thread of what people had experienced falling in the toilet we'd get quite a hilarious thread going! :D

For me, it's been my cell phone....then a toothbrush (and -no-, I did NOT give that away....:ph34r:).

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

ltdiver

I bet if we were to start a thread of what people had experienced falling in the toilet we'd get quite a hilarious thread going! :D

For me, it's been my cell phone....then a toothbrush (and -no-, I did NOT give that away....:ph34r:).

ltdiver

Well, IIRC, Vallerina dropped her security badge in the toilet last summer.
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All