benny

Do Europeans have a death wish?

This started off as a 'reasonable' thread (until chuteless piped up - WTF was all that about? Dude - check the map out - the one that includes places east of Maine and west of Hawaii) (ok - my bad, make that Yukon Territory and Newfoundland and Labrador)

Interestingly - I see the US as a more risky place to skydive (than the UK)

I think generally - as long as you have a rig on there - then it's all good.

There seems no requirement for:
- helmets
- altis
- flight line checks
- exit order
- spotting (using the Eyeball version 1.0)
- minimum competence before jumping with others
- minimum competence before freeflying
- probably some other stuff in here

We even turned up to a US DZ and all they wanted was an in date reserve card. No mention of documentation, USPA membership, insurance, logbooks, kit checks etc etc!!!

I s'pose it's what you get used to - but I actually don't mind the regs that the BPA put on us. It's not just like "Let's have a laugh today and think of something else they have to do"

More often than not - you read the profiles of folks in the US and they have 80 jumps and they list their 'Disciplines of choice' as Freeflying and Swooping. These are the guys that are jumping 135's after 150 jumps - How funny is that!!!! Man - it makes me laugh. But then again - I love that old style RW / FS / flat / belly call it what you like. And i'm not even 40 yet.

OK - I think you're referring to continental Europe. On the continent (mainland europe) their rules are more relaxed than the UK - but i think they are very similar to the US. Having said that - they're French too ;)

It's Friday and i wanted to rant
-----------------------
Connextion: British 8 Way Team
www.bodyflight.co.uk
-----------------------

NO!!!! I didn't vote on any! Since you didn't include the option that Europeans are safer...

Some countries in Europe (including Sweden) have regulations for what type / size of canopy you can jump at your current jump numbers.

In Sweden you are not allowed to jump an elliptical with less than 300 jumps (I think), not over a 1.4 WL with less than 500 jumps, and recently a new regulation was passed that states that you are not allowed to hook turn in any way with less than 500 jumps.

So I can say that at least Sweden is MORE on the cautious side than the US. I wont say safe, but at least we have taken action were we see it is needed, and we are not only talking about education anymore. Stats have improved since these rules came along.

a new regulation was passed that states that you are not allowed to hook turn in any way with less than 500 jumps.

So please tell me, what happens if a jumper makes a panic/unintentional low turn and biffs in?

Is he banned from jumping when he gets out of hospital or what?

Is it compulsory in the states for jumpers to:

Wear a helmet?
Wear an alti?
Wear shoes?
Carry a hook knife?
Get a pin check?
Have an “A” licence or above to jump?
Get a specific qualification for to jump with others?
Get a specific qualification to do Freeflying?
Get a specific qualification to do HD?
Get a specific qualification to do CRW?
Get a specific qualification to do Skysurfing?
Have at least 100 jumps and B licence before jumping anything other than a pro-tec?
Have at least 200 and C licence before jumping camera?
Have at least 1000 jumps for a D licence?
Have a specified number of jumps before landing in the accuracy area?
Carry out flight line checks?
Be licensed to perform a flight line check?
Spot?
Be licensed to spot?

Cos all of those are requirements in the UK.... some DZ's in America may ask for them, but they are not National requirements. Guess we must have a death wish.

Europeans certainly do have a death wish....the death of everyone else but them. Just like the Iraqis, the Iranians, the Afghaistans or anyone from that insane neck of the world

Where exactly is the "sane neck of the world"???

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to why europeans wish death upon everyone else..........

I don't know if this is meant to be a joke or something but lots of people would like to hear an explanation of you statement.

Where exactly is the "sane neck of the world"???

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to why europeans wish death upon everyone else..........

Maybe a couple world wars, and the 6 million deaths of jewish people comes to mind first?;)
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Maybe a couple world wars, and the 6 million deaths of jewish people comes to mind first?;)

Awww come on......it was only two!!!:P

In fairness that was in the past. The current generation of Germans are appauled by what was done in WW2 so I wouldn't hold their ancestors mistakes against them.

The definition of a hook turn is that is an intentional maneuver.

It's usually pretty easy to detect patterns in someone's behavior. If someone claims "did it to avoid...." over and over again he will eventually get warned, get warned again, and if the pattern doesn't change (or he breaks him self), he will be grounded for life yes.

If someone biffs on their first "incident of a low turn", I think it is likely to be written off as "unintentional" as long as it wasn't obviously intentional (no trafic, no wind, no obstacles and so on).

As I said, it's a brand new rule, and I think it is a good one. If it'll work or not we will soon find out. At least we are doing SOMETHING, trying to come to grips with the situation. It might turn out to be a bad rule, if it is, we can always change it back!

We did rule our whole island, then we spread our culture and language oppressively over the other nations of Britain, before allowing them to "run themselves" in the manner we saw fit. True democracy in action!!!

Was this before or after we had your women and plundered your villages? :P;)

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

Ahh I see :)It's really no different to what we have been practicing at my dropzone for ages.
The more experienced of us keep an eye on landing patterns and behaviour under canopy. If someone looks to be doing things beyond their skill level they get warnings. If they continue to ignore the warnings they are grounded.

But we don't need this in a rule book. For us it's just common sense.

lazyfrog
students can jump under supervision. there are lots of posts on here about US jumpers with 60+ jumps and still unlicensed

zeemax and vt1977
actual rule reads something along the lines of "a hard shell helmet" but has been interpreted to mean a full face. Technically you're not supposed to wear any hard shelled helmet until B licence.

velo90
"HD" is a reference to Head Down. what I said is not quite true but FF2 is basically that qualification