NoValidTitle

Lanky guy looking for advice on containers

So I'm new to the sport. I'm starting to browse around the classifieds to see what's out there and I seem to see something that could be an issue for me. Sizing for a container. I'm 5'10" and about 117lbs(fully clothed, no rig). I see lots of containers for my height but the weight says around 180lbs and the containers for my weight are for people who are five foot nothing. What's a fella to do? I wore/jumped a student rig that was clearly made for someone shorter than I was, boy was that uncomfortable on the back.
Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.

I'm in that same boat ... 6'2" and 145 .... I got a VooDoo made for me and it fits really nicely. I would expect that any of the companies can make one to fit you properly if ordered, but finding a used one that fits really well might be difficult and could take quite a while.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

from selling gear (lots of it) I can tell you that your chances of finding a rig that will fit you well is very slim.

However, you can still get a rig that will work for you, and just re-size the harness/laterals. It will cost you $250-$500.

Alternatively a you may want to buy a new container, and find used canopies.

Most threads here are about big boys unable to find gear, but any (pardon the use of the word) abnormal body type has those issues.

good luck !

Maybe narrow down the container you want, and go to that container's website to get their measuring guide on their order form.

Ex: For an Infinity Container you would go to www.velocityrigs.com and find the order form under products.

If you follow the measuring guide and have a local gear shop measure you, you can then have your own measurements.

Then go to dz.com and if you find a used (ex: Infinity) then ask the seller for their measurements and compare.

Also, if you find a used container that fits your canopies, but not you, you can always pay the manufacturer of your choice a few hundred bucks to resize the harness for you according to your measurements.

Good luck in your venture!

So interesting thing happened to me today. For my jumpsuit I decided on a Bevsuit. So my sister and I drove to her house/workshop to get measured since she happens to only live about an hour from me. While talking skydiving I mentioned my difficulty in finding a container to fit. She mentioned having a container that was a tiny bit big on her, she's about my weight but 5'5" or so. She dug it out and it seems to fit me like a champ. So I'm curious what this setup is worth. It has less than 100 jumps on it, Vector II container and a ZP EXE 150 main. No reserve or AAD included. Everything looks to be in amazing condition, she just down sized and stopped jumping it. She actually let me take the canopy with me because I asked if I could take it to the DZ and have the riggers give it a look. What do you guys think it's worth as a ballpark with less than 100 on both the canopy and container? And for the record before anyone says it... I'm not going to go from jumping a 200 student rig straight to a 150. I will be jumping rental gear for a bit even though I'm not overloading the canopy I don't want to make that big of a jump in one shot.

Why no reserve included? What size reserve will fit in that rig?

A vector 2 isn't worth much, it's also not freefly friendly. But it's a great starter rig to get you in the air, especially if you'll be having difficulty finding a suitable 2nd hand container.

A zp.exe also isn't worth that much, but again, it'll get you in the air cheap. It's a similar canopy to the original sabre, but cheaper, so you could look at sabre 1's prices in your area to get an idea. Or just ask your local riggers/gear dealers what it should be worth.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

ok, skinny guy here. Have someone measure you as if you were going to buy a new rig and use that info to shop for used. In my case, a lot of my height is in my legs. That makes no difference in whether a rigs fits or not. What matters is main lift web (MLW) and yoke size. The rig I have been jumping for years belonged to someone 4-5 inches short than me, but fits me just fine. Hope that helps. Also, a vector II and zp.exe is really old stuff. With a little effort you can probably find something better.

Now I'm second guessing myself about which container it was. I looked around on the web and I remember her saying that the canopy was made by the same company as the container. That would make it a vortex not a vector. I tried giving her a ring but I guess she closed up shop for the day.

She didn't include a reserve or AAD because she moved them to her new rig. I THINK she said the reserve that was in there was a 150 but I will have to ask next time I'm in touch with her.

Is the measuring for a container something I can do if I have a fabric tape or should I have a dealer do it?

edit* I'm pretty sure it was actually a vortex. I remember it had a spring loaded mesh reserve pilot not the balloon style that I think Vectors have. It also has the riser covers for where the risers get tucked, not sure if Vectors have that, couldn't find that on google.

edit again** She just wrote back to my email and it's a Vortex.

BOTH you guys must have to run around in the shower to get wet...think CHEESEBURGER! ;)

Man o Man... if they turned sideways and stuck out their tongues, folks would think they were a zipper. :S
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I went to Bevs house today to pick up my jump suit, I'll have to post a picture so you can see just how skinny I am haha.

I decided to pass on buying the canopy after jumping a sabre2 this weekend. I fell in love with it instantly. I'm still curious about buying the container though. What would you guys say the container alone is worth? Vortex II and it will fit a 135-150 main. Asking price is $1200 but I can't find anyone who can tell me what it's actually worth. under 100 jumps on it.

BOTH you guys must have to run around in the shower to get wet...think CHEESEBURGER! ;)

Man o Man... if they turned sideways and stuck out their tongues, folks would think they were a zipper. :S

Not everyone can tip the scales at over 250 ... ;) ... I've been thinking it may be time to start a new group ... Inverse Anvils ... LOL!!! Wear those weight belts proudly!!!
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

I decided to pass on buying the canopy after jumping a sabre2 this weekend. I fell in love with it instantly. I'm still curious about buying the container though. What would you guys say the container alone is worth? Vortex II and it will fit a 135-150 main. Asking price is $1200 but I can't find anyone who can tell me what it's actually worth. under 100 jumps on it.

I'm not that familiar with the vortex as nobody around here that I know has one. That doesn't mean its bad though. The value of the container will depend on several things and is subjective.

First look at its condition, how old is it? at under 100 jumps it should look almost new. Does it look like it was well taken care of? does it have all the parts? This includes items like risers, toggles, d-bag, main pilot cute, free bag and reserve pilot chute. If its missing those they you will have to replace them and that's more $. Does it need a bath or rigging work?
Its usually cheaper and easier to buy a complete rig than try to assemble it yourself when you have limited knowledge of gear.
But if you like the container and it fits you well, take it to a rigger for examination before you purchase. He/she can help you determine if it is a good deal too.

"Boy, you look mighty cute in them jeans." -Mr. T ;)

Well, Bev got you slicked down some.. that should help.

Sorry, I can't help with the Vortex, I don't know anything about them, but thought they were a nice looking rig when they presented them at WFFC a few years ago.

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Yup, pretty slick now. =) I haven't got to jump it yet. It was too windy this weekend and the DZ was at a B minimum the whole time.

But during that windy time I spent a couple of hours talking to Art from skydivestore.com (they have a store on my DZ) and decided the best option is one I was thinking about before. Buy a brand new container made for me and throw a used canopy in it. Looks like I will be dropping some cheese on a new Wings this weekend.

Art's been around for some time. His advice is what I also recommend to Anvils regarding H/C... buy new and custom fit, then you'll always know it was built for you. Good luck... Inverse Anvil ;)