freakydiver

Steve Moore Colorado Avalanche

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=f1e13fd2-77bd-4cb3-b512-38a95cb090af

I've seen four people swoop in - none of them hit the ground as hard as Steve Moore did. Anyone and everyone - please give good vibes to Steve. He was trying to be the man and skate away from the fight and got bitched up from behind, not once but twice. After he got blind side cold cocked - his head got driven forward into the ice. Honestly - what the fuck is the world coming to. Sorry, I'm a huge avs fan, and Steve Moore is one of the nicer guys around - never goes out to hurt anyone. Here's to you Steve.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

I saw the instant replay on the news this morning. Ouch! Wasn't nice. I don't understand why guys that are in the limelight and play sports have to fight like that. Kids look up to their sports heroes. Is that what these guys want to have the kids learn?
I wish the bad apples would just grow up.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

It was a nasty, dirty hit which may end Moore's career. Bertuzzi needs to be suspended for the remainder of this season (including the playoffs). But I fear that the NHL doesn't have balls and Bertuzzi will likely just get a slap on the wrist. >:(

But as bad as this hit was, it doesn't come even as close as the cross-check to the face Dave Brown delivered on Thomas Sandstrom back in '87 (give or take a year here).

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I was at the game and saw it all unfold. the game was a rough one from the start, primarily because of the hit Moore took on Naslund 3 weekds ago which gave him a concussion. so it was payback time. i know the punch was intentional.. it was a cheap shot though... if you want to fight, do it face to face, BUT, Bertuzzi falling on Moore didnt look intentional. I think the punch knocked him off balance and he started heading down, and the momentum of a 240 lb guy behind you is going to hurt... bad. not to mention the rest of your team adding to the dog pile. it fact, on the replay i saw one colorodo guy punch moore by accident when trying to hit Bert.

so now he has 2 broken vertebre and is in hospital indefinitely. he gets surgery today.

i think Bert should be suspended because of the initial cheap shot. it was just bad luck what happened after.

i think Bert should be suspended because of the initial cheap shot. it was just bad luck what happened after.

Try this for the discussion. Player A takes Player B out. Player B's injury is season ending. Should Player A be 'rewarded' and only be suspended a few games or should they be supended until the player they took out is able to return?
-----
~~~Michael

Try this for the discussion. Player A takes Player B out. Player B's injury is season ending. Should Player A be 'rewarded' and only be suspended a few games or should they be supended until the player they took out is able to return?

My friends and I talk about this a lot and I think Player A should be out as long as Player B, if it's intentional.

'Shell
'Shell

Here I was celebrating my beloved Kings' acquisition of Anson Carter.

But, this is brutal. While Bert probably didn't foresee a broken neck or all the blood, I frankly do not care. Bertuzzi should face the consequences, perhaps sitting out two games for every one game Moore is out.

Lesser damage destroyed McSorley (who was admittedly older and less skilled). Much like Breashears, Moore was not looking to fight and was unprepared for the contact.

Vibes to Moore.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

You couldn't me more off base. I've analyzed the video of moore's hit. You know when his elbow came up from his side? FIVE FRAMES after he hit Naslund. That hit is PART OF HOCKEY - this hit was cheap.

" Bertuzzi falling on Moore didnt look intentional "

"it was just bad luck what happened after."

No offense - but are you blind? He had a hold of his scruff and purposely pushed his face INTO the ice while falling forward - he did that on purpose. I've played my share of hockey and have seen that before - people grabbing the jersey at the neckline and falling forward - VERY cheap and low thing to do. What more proof do you need? The claimed bounty that both May and Bertuzzi verbally conveyed isn't enough? Coach crawfords disregard for what actually happend in the Naslund hit?? Funny, coach assface crawford didn't mention anything about the three cheapshots that took place before the naslund hit. Look at it again - and again for that matter. You are unreal, I'm sorry, this guy just got cold cocked, from behind and then got his face shoved into ICE.

I agree - so how many games euqal's Moore's zero (the number of games he is likely to play) times two for Bert. I just think this is rediculous - HI, I can't win so I'm going to sucker punch someone while they are skating away being a man not wanting to fight. Lame. Period. Might as well just go cut in front of a swooper in the middle of his or her swoop the next time they piss me off. :|

I would have to disagree - he may have paralysis. Forget about the remainder of the season - I'd bet criminal charges will follow. He broke the mans neck for shit sake.

Yes the broken neck and possible paralysis makes this case particularily nasty and I in no way am defending Bertuzzi. But I'm sure Bertuzzi wasn't intending on breaking Moore's neck. But yes it was a deliberate intent to injure.

In the Dave Brown cross-check to the face incident with Thomas Sandstrom, Brown viciously used the lumber right to Sandstrom's face and it too resulted in some nasty injuries (Sandstrom was ugly to begin with, but now he's a Frankenstein double in "B" rate movies). And I can still see it in my head (I remember watching that game on TSN back in '87). Nasty that's all I can say. Nasty on both events. >:(

He grabbed the back of his jersey - right at the neck line. He fell forward knowing damn well he was holding his head. He knew what he was doing. If you grew up in Canada and played hockey like a good little boy ;);) you've seen this maneuver before Canuck - hell, I grew up in the states and have seen assholes do this. Bert knew damn well he was about to bash his face into the ice when he fell on him. Period. Mark Crawford - he just sits there like OMG what did WE do wrong. Fuc! people like that.

EDIT - true that about sandstrom for sure. That will be the downfall of the NHL. The referee's knew this game was getting out of hand and didn't do anything about it imho. Wave bye bye to the nhl as we know it after this year.

Depends on the conduct and the hit. I'll cite Scott Stevens. The guy is the most ferocious, and cleanest, hitter out there. Vlad "The Impaler" Konstatinov took people out, too, with the most ferociously efficient and clean hip-checks in the last 20 years.

So, if a person hits cleanly and causes damage, I have no problems. A couple of goons want to scrap and one gets knocked out cold, no biggie.

But, when the injury is the result of an illegal hit, it's entirely different.

Hey I said it was a deliberate intent to injure. I still think the Brown/Sandstrom incident was nastier, but that's not factoring the injuries. It's just factoring the force used to injure.

Bertuzzi needs to be suspended for the remainder of the season (including playoffs). But I'd be willing to bet that all he gets is his wrist slaped. In fact Bill Clement (an ESPN analyst) thinks that he should only get 20 games and I'm prediction that the NHL gives him even less (meaning Bertuzzi can play in the playoffs). What bullshit I say.

Word - I gotcha - I'm pist as hell here - that really ruined my night...

Bill Clement Bill Clement hands of cement and brain not much more... Nuff said... I think the league is going to take into account the fact that a "bounty" had indeed been put out on Moore's head - literally unfortunately. They will look at the fact that Moore didn't even know it was coming. They will look at the fact that they are not only one player less, but really two because of what Bert did. But alas, you are probably right - NHL is a bunch of pu$$ie$ and they probably will flake on this...

No offense - but did you see this incident? The man's neck is broken for christs sake. If someone on the street pulled this, they'd BE IN JAIL.

Yes, which is why I replied to the following, meaning yes, Bertuzzi should be out as long as Moore is with his injury.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My friends and I talk about this a lot and I think Player A should be out as long as Player B, if it's intentional.

'Shell
'Shell

They are planning to charge Todd criminally, he broke 2 vertibrae in his neck and his jaw. I live in Vancouver but I ma a Colorado fan, although it wouldn;t matter, most of the city here is not on his side. He will be gone for the season no doubt.

~Chachi

They are planning to charge Todd criminally, he broke 2 vertibrae in his neck and his jaw. I live in Vancouver but I ma a Colorado fan, although it wouldn;t matter, most of the city here is not on his side. He will be gone for the season no doubt.

~Chachi

Well, I reckon now that this is happening, we'll get Ogie Oglethorpe and the Hanson Brothers in the league.

I hope he never gets the pleasure of stepping on the priveleged nhl ice again. He doesn't deserve it. They are professionals and thus should be held to a professional standard.

Anyhow - sorry for all the ranting and raving - it just really screwed up my dinner last night, my sleep, and hell, even today. I am very bummed for Steve Moore as he is a standup individual that wasn't out to hur Naslund to begin with anyhow.

Hey all - blue ones, get some jumps for me this weekend... C - hope your crossfire is treating you well, miss you all!

Paying the Moore back for his hit on Naslund?? - Bertuzzi could have nailed him with an open-ice check, plastered him into the boards, or even given him an elbow in the jaw. It would have been "message received". Done and over. This was a goon attack, pure and simple..his career should be over.

A rookie sidewinding, and a cheap hit one might add, a captain unconscious, and leaving him on the bench for 3 games: no penalty. Bertuzzi retaliating for what was seen as a cheap and unpenalized shot: suspended indefinitely. ??????

There's an obvious unbalance of officiating in the league these days. Maybe it's the league's officiating that should be under review. The NHL’s own hypocrisy in wanting to elevate scoring while letting its gifted players fall victim to unskilled hatchet men is solely to blame. Bertuzzi shouldn’t have felt like he had to ‘take care’ of Moore, the NHL should have.

SMiles;)

Lesser damage destroyed McSorley (who was admittedly older and less skilled). Much like Breashears, Moore was not looking to fight and was unprepared for the contact.

Mcsourley hit Brashir in the back of the head with his stick... i think thats a huge difference! he used his stick as a weapon!

Who got hurt worse? Breashears or Moore?

Breashears hit in head by stick? Moore hit in face by ice?

Hell, I could go back to what Claude Lemieux did to Kris Draper a few years back. Still, I did not think lemieux's hit on Draper was particularly bad but it caught him in the wrong spot.

I don't see much of a difference between McSorley and Bertuzzi here.

Who got hurt worse? Breashears or Moore?

Breashears hit in head by stick? Moore hit in face by ice?

So on the street if i punch one person and break their jaw and shoot another person and just graze them with a flesh wound, which one do you think i would get in more trouble for??? i think the one with the weapon is a way better show of intent to injur. not punching someone and accidentally breaking their face.

Hopefully you recognize that Bertuzzi was out to hurt Moore. Yes I'm sure he didn't intend to have Moore's neck broken, but the fact remains that he intentionally went after another player with nothing else on his mind but to hurt him.

I wouldn't kick him out of the league. But he shouldn't see any more action this year (including the playoffs).