rehmwa

Hockey Fights

Hockey is a rough sport, everyone knows it and the "fights" keeps thigns interesting. I have followed it for about 10 years (Go NJ Devils!) and you almost look forward to some "action" yet you never want to see someone get REALLY hurt. You see hits all the time that make you cringe and that is part of the sport but those LAME ASS BLATENT MULICIOUS HITS FROM BEHIND are uncalled for. Only a wimp or a chicken hits from behind B|. Go ahead, fight, rip each others heads off but do it while the other is watching and/or prepared.

He obviously hit the guy just right (in the temple)cause he was out for the count before his face SLAMMED the ice.

And as for the assholes remorse ~ Give me a frigin break ~ "I didn't mean to hurt him". Save your tears pal, you meant to hurt him, you PUNCHED him him from behind (didn't even try to make it look like an accident) so Yes you did mean to hurt him. Perhaps not to THAT extreme but what REALLY hurts now is knowing what could happen because of your STUPID action.

Sports...gotta love 'em

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

LOL ... leave it to Sunnydee123 to put a smile on my face. It's too bad that this will be the last year with my Avs season tickets as it would be fun to take you to a game. :ph34r:

I hope the Vancouver Canucks get eliminated in the 1st round this year. Then Bertuzzi's teammates and fans can squarelly point a finger at him and say "look at what you did, you dumb shit". And yes cry me a tear Mr Bertuzzi. I call your bullshit when you say you didn't mean to hurt him.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Rocket - you're a lawyer - just because the NHL allows fights, doesn't mean that we suspend the law for cheap shots -

or does it? I don't know maybe it's in the books....

what would happen if a cop saw this happen on a sidewalk?

True. I think Bertuzzi should be prosecuted. What he did was not part of the sport. What he did was thuggery. It was not a fight. Bertuzzi didn't even drop the gloves, did he?

There is a gossamer thread that separates what violence is part of the sport and what is not. Bertuzzi crossed it. Dale Hunter (I think it was him)crossed it when he separated Turgeon's shoulder. McSorley crossed it.

This is not unique to hockey, either. WHo here remembers Charles "Too Mean" Martin ending Jim McMahon's career as quarterback with his cheap shot?

THey should be prosecuted.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Oh I am just TOO fun at a hockey game. For my birthday a few years ago some pals got me tickets (Panthers vs. Devils). Kick ass seats and I was the only one here in Florida cheering for NJ. SERIOUSLY THE ONLY ONE in the section with a Red Jersey on cheering for my devils. And I even wore a silly birthday hat to draw a little more attention to myself :P and they won. I sing the dumb songs inbetween play, I'll curse the refs for bad calls, I'll scream at the players to get the game moving....

Oh yeah...I am one fun girl at a hockey game! :P

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

He fractured 2 vertebre and will have a 6 to 12 week recovery time.

Sounds like it was broke to me.

Definition

If more pressure is put on a bone than it can stand, it will split or break. A break of any size is called a fracture. If the broken bone punctures the skin, it is called an open fracture (compound fracture).

A stress fracture is a hairline crack in the bone that develops because of repeated or prolonged forces against the bone.

i am not sure why everyone keeps saying he snapped his neck. a broken neck implies life consequences and whell chairs and such. He fractured 2 vertebre and will have a 6 to 12 week recovery time.

Um, saying that Moore has "a broken neck" implies that one or more bones in his neck are broken.

Objectively, he suffered two fractured cervical vertebrae. Fractured means broken. Cervical equals neck.

Therefore, we see that Moore has a broken neck. A broken neck that will heal in 6-12 weeks, but a brokne neck nonetheless.

"A broken neck" is shorthand for "fractured cervical vertebrae."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

He fractured 2 vertebre and will have a 6 to 12 week recovery time.

I've always considered Bertuzzi to be a skilled yet rough and yes dirty player (but dirty only in the normal hockey sense). But this was a nasty, uncalled for incident with the intent to injure (and a serious injury was the result). I am not calling for jail time, I am not calling for revenge. I am contempt that the NHL has done the right thing. I have nothing against the Vancouver Canucks, or their fans. But if the hockey Gods are not sleeping this year, the Canuckleheads will get eliminated from the playoffs so that the good people of Vancouver can think about what a shit this guy is. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I see it.

Like it or not, fighting is accepted at the professional levels are just part of the game

We like to think we're more civilized than the Romans, who held gladiator duals to the death, but we're not - we just changed the format. If you're disgusted with overpayed athletes that act like high school kids, you can make them stop. Just don't watch anymore.

The Romans truly thought that they were "civilized", and they actaually were, by ancient standards; however, by our standards, they were unspeakbly brutal (but only to non-Romans, so that was okay by them).

The veneer of civilization has always been thin, and lately, it's getting a lot thinner IMO.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

i am not sure why everyone keeps saying he snapped his neck. a broken neck implies life consequences and whell chairs and such. He fractured 2 vertebre and will have a 6 to 12 week recovery time.

From the news clicky I posted earlier:

He hit Moore from behind and drove his head into the ice. Moore landed face-first — with the 245-pound Bertuzzi on top of him — and lay in a pool of blood for several minutes before he was removed on a stretcher.

Moore is out for the season with a broken neck. He also sustained a concussion and deep cuts on his face, and remained hospitalized in Vancouver.

Broken neck.

I seem to recall that when Mike Tyson was arrested for violence, his defense was "Nobody ever objected to it before."

mh

Sunnydee sounds like my daughter!
She knows which net is ours, there trying to put the puck in the net, and, well thats about it!! But she loves to go and has a ball. It's an awesome sport if ya have any idea what the hell is going on. Fighting is a part of it because it's an intense physical sport, not like Water ballet. Most participants know this and it's ok, but ya, bring it on fair and forget about it. Two players get arrested, but who would really wanna press charges in most those cases?? This guy obviously crossed the line and knew it. I don't think anyone would condone it, and yes it gives hockey a bad image, kinda like seeing skydiving on TV when someone bites it.

Wanna Puck??

Natural Born FlyerZ.com

I say that if modern civilization is going to act uncivilized, then let's bring back the gladiator games. ;) This way, my beloved game of hockey won't be thought of as this brutal sport any more. :ph34r:

I think that's a great way for illegal aliens to earn their citizenship, just like they did in ancient Rome. That way we can take care of several problems at the same time...:S:D

Wooden sword, anyone? ;)

mh

I'm a 29 year old guy playing his first ever season of honest to goodness ice hockey. I'm loving it... I don't know if it'll ever overtake skydiving for my #1 obsession, but it's definitely a close second. It's such a thrill to be participating in something that I thought I would always just have to watch from the cheap seats.

My league (along with most all leagues where a beginner or intermediate skill level predominates) is a "non checking" league. This means a little bump and grind (minds out of the gutters, folks) is OK but no real checking an no roughing and DEFINITELY no fighting. But even at this relatively benign level of the game, I see the passion for the sport and the thrill of competition and the occasional push or shove adding up to the emotion that brings people to drop the gloves. It happened just last night (my teammate was involved, not me), and it wasn't encouraged by the referees or other players, but it happened. Myself, I'm just now starting to get good enough on my skates to get into the play, and I've felt that energy building up in me after somebody put an admittedly legal play on me. I haven't come anywhere near dropping the gloves, but have felt that rush and can see show some might be pushed over the breaking point.

It's a lot like skydivers arguing at the DZ over stupid DZ politics: why do we do that? Because we love the sport and are passionate about our involvement in it.

As far as the Bertuzzi thing goes, I (personally) DON'T want to see the government get involved. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I really DON'T want to see a lawsuit here. It's just like governmental involvement in skydiving. None of us wants that, right? Why? Because as soon as the door is opened, it will be easier to open it a bit further next time, and the time after that, and the time after that.

The hockey players on the board will agree that there is a strong "unwritten code" about hockey players policing themselves. Problems that come up on the ice are resolved on the ice. Maybe Bertuzzi needs to be suspended for life, but I would rather not see the courts involved.

Elvisio "sorry for the long post" Rodriguez

I don't consider being blindsided as a fight, or part of the sport. Battery outside the definition of the sport is illegal. There needs to be some penalties.

I was in a lot of martial arts tourneys for years. University/college teams, club teams, and individual stuff. Unlike hockey, fighting is definitely ok there, but we had contact rules too.

The hockey players on the board will agree that there is a strong "unwritten code" about hockey players policing themselves. Problems that come up on the ice are resolved on the ice. Maybe Bertuzzi needs to be suspended for life, but I would rather not see the courts involved.

Welcome to the sport I've been playing for 35 years. Based on these comments, I can only say one thing. You are a hockey player. ;)

I've been thinkin about getting into hockey for a winter sport, we cant jump anyway and there's a nice new rink blocks from the house. It would be a no contact level also. At that level it looks like so much fun!!
My Aunt was the PR lady for the Redwings when I was a kid. She was hit in the mouth with a puck by Gordie Howe and they were the only 2 in the whole arena. Meant to hit the glass and it just kinda floated on him. He felt sooo bad.... Cool story "eh"

Natural Born FlyerZ.com

Well, the annoucement has been made. Bertuzi will not play another game this season (including playoffs) and whether or not he will play next season is yet to be decided. I am glad they are keeping him in suspense but I must say I was hoping to see a life ban from the league.

Hockey is a contact sport. There has always been fighting. The owners, the players and the fans alike have fought very hard to keep the scraps legal as they are and always have been a part of this game. What happened here IMO is NOT a hockey scrap but a premeditated assault. I maintain that what transpired was no different than if I got up from my desk right now and clocked a workmate. It was disgusting and an example should be made before the sport takes a serious plunge for the worse.

... Anyone ever see the movie RollerBall?

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I don't know much about hockey but I do know about people and children. I have a hard time seeing a kids idol break a law and nothing happens to him/her. Will the same thing happen to my kids when they break a law? Or do we explain that people with fame have different rules to follow? I see both sides but I know what's right.

Heather
Life doesn't have to be perfect in order to be beautiful!

I agree...

Another thing that makes me mad about this situation is the amount of coverage it is getting. People who dont know S#it about hockey are making assumptions a judging something they know nothing about. This morning my girlfriend called me after watchin the morning show "the view" and said they were calling him a "canook" they cant even pronounce the name right! they dont know anything about hockey, how can they be in a position to judge him. rrrrrr!

they dont know anything about hockey, how can they be in a position to judge him. rrrrrr!

You don't need to know anything about hockey to judge him. What he did was not hockey... what he did had nothing to do with hockey.

A hockey fight is one thing... the fact that this attack took place on ice is the only thing that it has in common with a hockey fight.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!