Erroll

Invasion of Zimbabwe? Who would bother?

While I don't necessarily agree with some of the means used to get points across here... I can certainly appreciate the emotions that bring on some of the tirades we've seen. It really does seem that no one has any response to the question... What CAN the US do that the rest of the world will aprove of? Can we help anyone without being accused of imperialism? Can we trade with anyone without being accused of taking advantage? If so... how?

Like was said earlier... damned if we do, damned if we don't. That's probably just the way it will be until someone else is the superpower. And then people will just bitch about that.
Oh, hello again!

While I don't necessarily agree with some of the means used to get points across here... I can certainly appreciate the emotions that bring on some of the tirades we've seen. It really does seem that no one has any response to the question... What CAN the US do that the rest of the world will aprove of? Can we help anyone without being accused of imperialism? Can we trade with anyone without being accused of taking advantage? If so... how?

Like was said earlier... damned if we do, damned if we don't. That's probably just the way it will be until someone else is the superpower. And then people will just bitch about that.

Yep, exactly. You and Mark said it well. I may have gone on "abrasive tirades," but that's what I was getting at. I do believe I did say it in between nasty expressions.
-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I'm not going to make excuses for "Peacefuljeffrys" remarks or beliefs.

This is the internet so he can say whatever he wants but I know he doesn't speak for all US citizens.

How do I know ? because I'm a american and he's not speaking for me.:)
I'm not going to waste my time with this thread. Some folks just like to argue and talk trash. It their right to do so just like its mine to say I'm out of here!!!!

I have the ability to lock any thread, Because I don't have to read it.

R.I.P.

There's some folks on the chat board at www.navyseals.com that will be MORE than happy to check records. ;)

heh :D

I think "sixteen years as a Selous Scout" is a bit of an exaggeration on someone's part, anyway. AFAIK The Selous Scouts were formed around 1972 and disbanded along with Rhodesia itself in 1980. Many operators left for South Africa, but many stayed on, but the outfit wasn't called "Selous Scouts" anymore, because it was named after a buddy of Cecil Rhodes...can't have that...

Something about Zim that a lot of people don't seem to get: ZANU-PF is a Communist Party, so it's hardly surprising to see the kind of brutality going on in Zim right now.

Mugabe will get his one day, and I hope it's an old tire around his neck with some gasoline, and I hope it's soon...>:(

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Mugabe will get his one day, and I hope it's an old tire around his neck with some gasoline, and I hope it's soon...>:(

mh

Wow, and I got lambasted for my comments about wanting to put computer virus makers before a firing squad!! Burning tire around the neck?! WOW!!
-Jeffrey

mh

Wow, and I got lambasted for my comments about wanting to put computer virus makers before a firing squad!! Burning tire around the neck?! WOW!!

A VERY prominent person is on record as having said that "With our tyres and our matches we will liberate South Africa".

These so-called 'necklasses' were in fact a regular sight here in the 80's. A particularly horrible way to die. But then so is being hacked to pieces by a machette wielded by a drugged-up Fifth Brigade 'soldier' in Mashonnaland. I forget the exact number but the dead were counted in the thousands.

It doesn't really matter to me whether Mugabe is taken out by a WMD or a .22 rimfire - he has got to go.

mh

A VERY prominent person is on record as having said that "With our tyres and our matches we will liberate South Africa".

These so-called 'necklasses' were in fact a regular sight here in the 80's. A particularly horrible way to die. But then so is being hacked to pieces by a machette wielded by a drugged-up Fifth Brigade 'soldier' in Mashonnaland. I forget the exact number but the dead were counted in the thousands.

It doesn't really matter to me whether Mugabe is taken out by a WMD or a .22 rimfire - he has got to go.

Couldn't agree more

not jumping sux

mh

My point was not about whether "Mugabe has got to go" -- I have believed he should be gone since the first reports of his atrocities reached our newspapers. I was commenting more on the hypocrisy of various people telling me I'm "violent" or other things because of stuff I said in a thread pertaining to computer viruses and what should be done with the perpetrators.
-
-Jeffrey

Oh ya, he also specializes in aquatic missions involving the water-tank and female students. :D

All Hail the Tank Commander!

(And women... make sure you're trim. The Tank Commander doesn't like time spent in the bush...
But doesn't mind a runway:ph34r:)

I got to admit, WRT the Selous Scouts, that there are an awful lot of people who say they were one...

I have a friend who was in the RLI (Saints) and he swears that most times he bumps into one of his old brothers in arms, discovers they must have been transfered to the scouts the day after he left on the last day of the war...

Just back to the origins of this thread, I see the "64" now 65, are all former members of the now disbanded 32 Battalion... and we all know what that means. Or at least those of us that did our National service for South Africa during the 1980's do.

That makes them seem a little too over qualified for security guards for a mining company...

t

Reason for edit: Although I posted a link to the 32 Battalion site, I don't agree with the political views expressed on the site. From a strictly military history perspective, few would argue with the content.
It's the year of the Pig.

Just back to the origins of this thread, I see the "64" now 65, are all former members of the now disbanded 32 Battalion... and we all know what that means. Or at least those of us that did our National service for South Africa during the 1980's do.

I understand that they also include ex Koevoet members and that they were employed by our old friends Executive Outcomes. Definitely not your typical mine security types!

This whole somfu reminds me of the Ancient Order of Frothblowers getting caught in a similar fashion.:P

The plot thickens...

The Star
March 11, 2004

By Graeme Hosken, Jonathan Ancer and agencies

The alleged mercenaries arrested in Zimbabwe are believed to have been on their way to a covert military training camp in Cameroon.

The men were remnants of South Africa's defunct mercenary company Executive Outcomes.

They were planning to join another former Executives Outcomes operative in Equatorial Guinea in an elaborate plot to overthrow President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo, which was supposed to have taken place next week.

The coup plot has been denied by the British-based company Logo Logistics, which employs the suspected mercenaries. The company claims they were going to provide security for mining operations in the Democratic Republic of Congo.:P

Nobody, and no country, can make everyone else happy.

The bigger we are, the less possible it is that we will make everyone happy. The only way other countries won't object is to be so insignificant that they won't notice.

But we do have some control over whom we piss off, and how we piss them off. Abusing superior firepower is a good way to pull out the folks who want to show that they're even bigger badasses. It's one thing to say "we're the most powerful so we must be right" or "Because" (a parent's favorite reason); it's another to have legitimately considered a lot of options and made a decision that's not going to be universally popular, but which will make you a step closer to a long-term goal.

Oh -- how we react to the people/countries we've pissed off is also important; it's kind of like the "morals is what you do when no one can see" thing. The way you treat others is a measure of your fit into the overall scheme of things.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm very glad that in those early days of the New South Africa, I never went the Executive Outcomes route that several of my friends chose..

I was just too late. By the time I talked to Mr Pelser in late 1997 the company was on the way to being shut down. I'm still pretty mad about that! >:(

Nah.. I went the personal security route. The cars are more comfy, and the fights short, and you're a hero for running away, as long as you take the principle with you when you do it.;)

Last contact I had with "those people" they were looking for "snipers" to go to Bosnia and had a dollar rate for men, women and children...
:S
Doing it for the money is one thing... but kids? Nah. Not for me.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I deliberately avoided using the slang term for the act because I wasn't sure Yank audiences would get it.

It's my understanding that it was Winnie Mandela's favorite method of dispatching politcal opposition as well.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Even somebody who enlisted in the Rhodesian military at 16 and served for 16 years (all through the UDI, it looks like, the the very end) would be about 65 now...

Yup he is about 62-65. Looks older, acts youngerB|
Yup....still jumps. Licence no D24 or 25:P

Edited to add
16 years in the bush were his exact words.
The man is busy writing a book at the moment. I have seen the rough draft. It should make for a facinating read.