superstu

skydive oregon

What's up everybody, I was just wondering if there is anybody who jumps at skydive oregon regularly? I'm coming down for school and should be jumping there every weekend. How many of you have been there, what's it like, what are the people like? Thanks and maybe i'll see some of you there. Later
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Skydive Oregon is the most professional, slick, businesslike dropzone in the area. They've got a lovely private field, well maintained turbine airplanes, and nice people.

Other options in the area: Eugene Skydivers, Wright Bros Skydiving, and Toledo. Be sure to check out all of them before choosing a favorite. They're all different and have their own charms.

Personally I jump at both Eugene Skydivers and Skydive Oregon a lot.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

I've jumped there a several times. My Mother lives in Salem. It was kind of comical the first time I showed up there to jump. I had just come back from about a twenty year lay-off and only had about 25 recent jumps. To compound problems I didn't have a license. I never took the time to get one and all I had to show were my old log books. In the olden days you really didn't need a license to jump most places as long as you had your log books. In some places you didn't even need log books. Blake Robinson decided that I couldn't jump because I didn't have a license, but I kept wining and wining and finally Blake grew tired of it and decided he'd take me up and check me out if I'd buy his jump. Lucky me, I got to jump. I really enjoy jumping there. I usually jump there a couple times a year now. It's professionally run, great aircraft, great facilities, and great people. Steve1

Right now I am have only been to skydive snohomish. That's where I recieved my training and the place where I have made my 41 jumps, but I definately want to go to different places.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Homer,
I jumped with a couple of people from your DZ at our boogie in Stevensville, Mt. I'm terrible with names but maybe if I ramble on long enough you'll be able to figure out who they are. One guy is about 45. He's been jumping at least 20 years. He's tall and skinny. Has been on at least one world record RW attempt. He also does freeflying and has a son. He also has done quite a bit of rock climbing and some base jumping. That probably narrows it down to about 100 people. The other person I met was a girl, from I believe Walla Walla. She had a canopy collision after a RW load at our boogie. She is a super jumper and continued to jump after this. She was going on most of the bigger RW loads. She's about medium height with brown hair. She has a boyfriend from Boise. Does any of this sound familiar? Wouldn't it be simpler if I could just remember names?

Homer and Coho,
Yes, his name is Lee. Seems like a nice guy and very good jumper. I landed on his back once as he was making his approach on a formation. He just shook it off and made it in without any problems. He had come over to jump a King Air. I also saw him at Lost Prairie. Maybe next summer when I come through the tri-cities, I'll stop and make some jumps with you. Steve1

SDO is cool, gotta love them Otters. It is a big pro DZ but the people were pretty nice when I was juming there regular. Moving back to Salem on the first of Octoberish, maybe see you up there. Was jumping and shooting tandem video at Eugene skydivers, which is a smaller but really friendly DZ. Got a caravan on the weekends, pretty fun. Gotta give props to Kapowsin, they have the most supreme scenery (few miles from the base of Mt. Rainier) and cool folks as well. Take your pick.
Drewfus McDoofus

Skydive Oregon is frickin' awesome. Weather's about to get ugly for while, so get your ass over here fast. Fortunately, we do get breaks and a lot of hop/pops in the winter.

SDO has just about every service a drop zone can offer. The land it's on is great, the people are great, the beer is great (and plentiful). SDO = good.

- Mac

Have to agree with you, the scenery at Kapowsin is amazing. Having Mt. Rainier as a backdrop and friendly atmoshpere is a plus! Jumping out of the plane and having the mountain right there in view, outstanding!!

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

When did the "Swoop Ditch" become a pond? I saw some video of a friend of mine trying to pile himself into what used to be a little ditch. Looks a lot nicer now.

It's a full-on pond now. There was an article on canopy school here in a recent parachutist.

What was it? 40'x200'? And deep, too. It makes the DZ about a billion times easier to pick out.

- Mac

:$:ph34r:B|;)

Kapowsin is awesome, my last trip there from Vancouver the otter pilot invited me upfront and what scenery!! Mt. Rainier- Mnt. Hood & Mnt. Baker on climb to altitude-- I was so in awe, had to scramble on jumprun and remember our dive!!
The jumpers are so friendly, makes you feel right at home.

Smiles.
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

That's where I learned to jump. SDO is a fantastic place to jump. Great facility, and planes to die for -- by far the slickest, cleanest and they are very fast.

The people are great too. As spring is in the air, I'm betting that you won't have problem getting connected. It's small enough that you'll get to know a lot of people very quickly. Have fun!

Edit to add: BTW, if you find yourself having to buy beer, only microbrews, else you risk a riot. Their favorite used to be "Mirror Pond" don't know if that's still at the top of the list or not. ;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

What was it? 40'x200'? And deep, too. It makes the DZ about a billion times easier to pick out.

Yeah, it was pretty hard before with those two processing ponds across the street, literally pointing to the landing area, a huge patch of grass... :P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

One guy is about 45. He's been jumping at least 20 years. He's tall and skinny. Has been on at least one world record RW attempt. He also does freeflying and has a son. He also has done quite a bit of rock climbing and some base jumping. That probably narrows it down to about 100 people.

That would be Lee Silcox, a good friend of mine. FYI his son's name is Brad.

The other person I met was a girl, from I believe Walla Walla. She had a canopy collision after a RW load at our boogie. She is a super jumper and continued to jump after this. She was going on most of the bigger RW loads. She's about medium height with brown hair. She has a boyfriend from Boise. Does any of this sound familiar? Wouldn't it be simpler if I could just remember names?

That's Lynette Marshall from Yakima, another friend of mine. Her boyfriend is Paul Taylor (aka "Tall Paul") and he also lives in Yakima now (moved there from Boise). They bought a 182 and fly down to jump with us quite regularly (including yesterday).

In addition to being great people, all three of them (Lee, Lynette, and Paul) are very skilled jumpers. Paul was on the 247-way a few years ago, and Lee turned down his invite for that one.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)