stevebabin

Jumpsuit Color Discrepancies

A friend of mine has ordered a jumpsuit that arrived with a color obviously wrong.(they call it flo. yellow, it is in fact green.) We are trying (for the 3rd time) to give the manufacturer the opportunity to fix the problem, so I won't mention their name. I feel bad because I recommended this company to my friend and I feel he didn't get what he ordered and paid for. They said they would fix it but would charge him $35.00 to do so. They also offered to refund his money, but then it will be another 2 months until he has a suit that he can use. He is a new Camera Flyer and wont be able to work until he gets a suit to use.
How common is this? Has anyone else had this problem? How was it resolved?
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

Did your friend have the color swatches to pick from? I wouldn't order a suit without looking at the swatches. You can't pick the colors off a paper list.

From what I've seen, a color at one company could be called something else at another. I think I've seen the color's you are referring to, and when I saw the swatches, they called it flo yellow and I thought it was more green.

The company I order my jumpsuits from have always fixed the suit for free if sent back right away. Now, if you wear it for a while then send it back, you have to or at least should pay for "repairs or changes".

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Did your friend have the color swatches to pick from? I wouldn't order a suit without looking at the swatches. You can't pick the colors off a paper list.

From what I've seen, a color at one company could be called something else at another.

Judy's 100% correct on this. If colors are important don't order without seeing fabric samples. Never, ever trust what you see on a computer monitor, and never ever assume that because Tony Suits and Bev Suits both have colors they call "yellow" that they are using the exact same color. This applies to containers and canopies too.

Something else that's good to know - the shade of a particular color that you see on a fabric swatch may or may not be the same exact shade of that color that you will get on your suit. Different "dye lots" can be and often are different shades of the same color.

That sounds like it wasn't an error on the part of the mfr. Also, it sounds like they're charging pretty cheap ($30) to pay for a mistake that wasn't theirs. Always check the swatches.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I agree, he should have checked the swatches.
Maybe I'm colorblind.
Is this flo.yellow?
Somehow it looks green to me...
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."

Its close enough that I'd say its floresent yellow. I held a piece of paper up to the wing with highlighter on it and its closer to a greenish yellow then a yellow yellow, but what do you expect at the floresent colors?

If he's really that worried about colors then just having a suit that will work then he probally should have taken the time to get the swatches.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It looks green to me, my avatar is a pic of my jump suit, and it is florescent yellow and florescent green with magenta grippers.

Different fabrics can often be different colors even though the names are the same.

You'd think that "lemon" would be bright yellow, right? Not always. PD's "lemon" zp has a definite green tint to it.

The lesson here is if color is important to you, don't order anything custom without seeing fabric samples of the fabric that will be used where you want that color to be.

Lesson learned.

As a seller of skydiving gear, who would you say is responsible for the cost to fix this, the manufacturer or the customer?

As a seller of skydiving gear, who would you say is responsible for the cost to fix this, the manufacturer or the customer?

I know this sounds harsh, but I'd have to say the person who made the decision to order it without seeing fabric samples should be the one to pay for any fix if the color is that important to them. It'd be mighty cool of a manufacturer to ante up and do it for free, but I wouldn't expect them to.

Even When the ZP is over the yellow wing in front(as can be seen in the picture) it still looks green. By itself it looks green.
Again, I might be colorblind.... but what they call flo.yellow is green to me.

I agree, he should have checked the swatches.
Maybe I'm colorblind.
Is this flo.yellow?
Somehow it looks green to me...

The main portion of the wing looks flo yellow....but the top portion(just below the black) looks green to me....but part of it looks yellow...is it yellow over black?

Mike

Update- The owner of the jumpsuit company has agreed to fix the suit at their expense. My friend will pay the shipping costs and is happy with this arrangement.
Blues,
Steve

I am also a friend of this jumper and I also HIGHLY recommended this company to him as I exclusively jump their product (3 kinds of suits, freefly pants, and casual pants). I just found out about this ordeal today and I just wanted to say, kudos to the manufacturer for going the extra step (whether right or wrong) to keep your customer happy! You've given me even more reason to keep up my recommendations. Thank you.

Huh?!? What cloud?!? Oh that!!! That's just Industrial Haze
Alex M.