Laurel

Chicagoland is mean, mean, mean

Back in August of 2003, I was headed for Summerfest at Skydive Chicago. My then boyfriend wanted to surprise me by purchasing a $100 gift certificate so I could make some additional jumps that were not within my budget. But, he accidently bought them from Chicagoland Skydiving. When he realized his error, he called CS and explained his mistake. CS refused to refund his account even though they had not even processed the internet transaction, yet. I thought this was so terrible of them to do this. We live in New Orleans and I have only been to Chicago once and Phil has never been. So, here it is March 2004 and we are still stuck with this gift certificate for "One free Tandem" or "$100 worth of jumps." (They told Phil it would be good for either). I don't know what to do with it except see if someone who jumps at CS wants to buy it from me.

But the saddest part about this whole story is that the skydiving community is so small and we are supposed to be family. Chicagoland Skydiving has left such a foul taste in my mouth and I think it serves them right for me to share this experience with all of you. >:(:(>:(
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

But the saddest part about this whole story is that the skydiving community is so small and we are supposed to be family. Chicagoland Skydiving has left such a foul taste in my mouth and I think it serves them right for me to share this experience with all of you. >:(:(>:(

Sorry for your loss, both of them:( ;)

Every DZ has it's own definition of "Customer service" same as gear manufactures. Same as a jumping "buddy".

Thanks for the headsup on on the subject DZ.

When we first read you thread we thought you were talking about the other DZ. (The big one with the pink hanger?)

R.I.P.

If he purchased over the internet, he must have used a credit card. If he did, why didn't he just contact his credit card company and dispute the charges? All he had to do is say he made a mistake and the services were never rendered.

I told him to do that, but he thought Chicagoland would do the right thing after he emailed them and spoke to them a few times. They just never did. tisk, tisk, tisk.[:/]
My Pink M

Well fuck them. I hope you can sell it for face value, I will offer up, to you ,$100.00 worth of jumps slots at SkyDiveChicago.... No questions asked.

Send me a PM and it is a done deal. Hope you can make SummerFest this year...That is bull shit all the way around. As a friend of The Nelson Family, Roger would be pissed if we did not do the right thing. Consider it done.

Tim

Laurel, I have to agree with Chris, if it's the guys that I know, I can't picture them saying that. Is Todd still one of the DZOs there? If so, ask to talk to him. I would be shocked if he didn't offer you a refund.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Laurel, I'm actually surprised that you are getting this response because I know the DZOs there (not personally just from business) and they seem to be straightforward guys. Did you talk to either of the DZOs directly?

I guess I'll try to contact them once more just to see if they have changed their tune. I'll let you guys know what happens.
My Pink M

Sounds like you got a bunch of help. Some good offers also.
It sounds like you problem is solved. Sometimes all you gotta do is talk to the right people.

Thomas

Thats cause the friendly folks at SDC are the shit (in a good way.. i never really understood that saying.. oh well) B|;):P:)

Laurel, I'm actually surprised that you are getting this response because I know the DZOs there (not personally just from business) and they seem to be straightforward guys. Did you talk to either of the DZOs directly?

Talk to one of the DZOs...(Doug or T.D.)I agree, they are great people and I hope your situation gets resolved...B|:)

~R+R:)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

Goodness... if they don't refund your money, that is horrible.

I jump there & as others have said, would be extreemly supprised if TD or Doug refused to refund money. They are understanding so much of the time. I'd love to buy it from you, but I don't have any $$ :(

edited to add:
They are closed on Tuesday, so prob calling tomorrow would be a better bet - otherwise your calling on their only day off.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Laurel,

This is the first I have heard about this situation and I wish you would've dealt with us directly. My staff knows that we have a strict no-refund policy (as most DZs do) and they were just doing their job, but Todd and I would've worked with you and your boyfriend knowing that it was a mistake. We're not in the business of screwing people out of money.

Regards,
Douglas Smith
Chicagoland Skydiving Center
http://skydive.com

Laurel,

This is the first I have heard about this situation and I wish you would've dealt with us directly. My staff knows that we have a strict no-refund policy (as most DZs do) and they were just doing their job, but Todd and I would've worked with you and your boyfriend knowing that it was a mistake. We're not in the business of screwing people out of money.

Regards,
Douglas Smith
Chicagoland Skydiving Center
http://skydive.com

Hell Yaaaaaaaa!! Go Chicagoland!!

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

This is the first I have heard about this situation and I wish you would've dealt with us directly.

I sent y'all an email today and look forward to resolving this soon. As I stated before, Phil did try to resolve this with y'all first. It wasn't until he was given a strict "no refund" answer and many months had passed did I take this public. I look forward to seeing what we can do. Please email me so I can get you my phone number and hopefully we can put this little snafu behind us.
My Pink M

As I stated before, Phil did try to resolve this with y'all first. It wasn't until he was given a strict "no refund" answer and many months had passed did I take this public.

I notice a lot of people do this - so don't take this personally - but...
Most places do have a 'no refund' policy on gift certificates, and most of the time when you call the first answer you'll get is "Sorry, we have a no refund policy" - the person on the phone is probably just doing their job. I'm sure if you would have asked to talk to someone else (who has the authority to make decisions that override policy) you could have gotten it taken care of in August. Instead, you waited 8 months, then bashed a perfectly good DZ in a public forum (for a mistake your boyfriend made in the first place). You should have given them a chance privately first - then if they didn't want to help you out, feel free to bash away!

Like I said, don't take this personally, I've seen a lot of people jump the gun around here. "My jumpsuit doesn't fit right!" "My Protrack doesn't work!" "My rig isn't right!" -- give the people a chance to make it right first before you possibly harm their business. That's just something for everyone to think about, not directed at you. And this case is even worse - if they do give you money back for your mistake, you're going to end up costing them money in transaction charges and fees.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

You know, if he had bought a gift cert for you @ say Bannana Republic & then was like, oops, I meant it to be for Eddie Bauer, there's no way in heck Bannana Republic would give you your money back.

If you get no for an answer, it's always smart to ask for a supervisor or something.

Now, like you said, skydiving is such a small community and youve gone and bad mouthed a very nice, smaller dz; even the title of your thread is an attack on them. That is not good personal agenda usage. Use bad vibes where they're necessary - this wasn't the place.

Sorry, I take it personally.

I figured not everyone would agree with me and I love everyone's differing opinions, but I stand by my decision to take this public because so far, it is the only route that has garnered any forward response after several phone calls and emails. Now, if all goes well with CSC, I PROMISE to report a follow-up story. I am a very fair girl and it takes a lot to push me to this point.

As an added note - I did send CSC another email this morning per some of your responses to this post to make another effort to resolve this issue. Plus, I was very pleased to see that Doug has acknowledged this post and hope to hear from him soon. I thank y'all for your advice and opinions.
My Pink M

I figured not everyone would agree with me

But, I think that we're all in agreement that CSC has a "No refund" policy like many other dzs. I jump there, and that had been clarified to me before I ever made a purchase there.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

. . . CSC has a "No refund" policy like many other dzs. I jump there, and that had been clarified to me before I ever made a purchase there.

That doesn't mean that was the case with Laurel's boyfriend. Even if it had been, I would like to believe the CSC staff has the ability of independent thinking and should have realized there were extenuating circumstances that made this transaction different than other transactions. The staff could have easily asked the DZO’s opinion in this matter and resolved it long ago.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

Know what, my best friend just got me a gift certificate for a hair cut/style @ a very nice salon. Only problem is, I usually go to a different very nice salon.

I highly doubt that the new salon will give me money back, therefore, I'm going to go there & hope for the best.

Usually, the "let me speak w/ your supervisor" insistance works very well though.

I go to FL once a year, my parents have bought me a few jumps @ the dz I usually go to. However, if they accidentially purchased ones @ another dz - I'd go jump there also.

DZ staff isn't paid enough to think independantly. And who are they to know Laurel's b/f from Mr. Bu down the street? why should he be an execption to their rule? Only the dzo can make that call & I bet the staff member would be fired really quickly if they called the dzo on every "special circumstance".

but I stand by my decision to take this public because so far, it is the only route that has garnered any forward response after several phone calls and emails

Now there's been several phone calls and emails? From your post, you gave me the impression there had only been the one call made in August. I was actually afraid you'd see it this way - you making it public is not what got this resolved; the DZO being aware of your problem is what got it resolved. Had you talked to him first privately, and he said no, then you made it public and got it fixed - that'd be different. As Doug said, this was the first he'd heard of it.

Even if it had been, I would like to believe the CSC staff has the ability of independent thinking and should have realized there were extenuating circumstances that made this transaction different than other transactions. The staff could have easily asked the DZO’s opinion in this matter and resolved it long ago.

Maybe they should have, I don't know. I don't think what the 'staff' did or didn't do is different than what someone would do at any other DZ or business. And we don't know what actually happened either. Think about it - called in August, busy weekend day jumping, "Can I get a refund on this?" "No, sorry, policy is no refunds" "ok" Hell, maybe Phil didn't even actually call - maybe he heard about the hot skydive.com girls and really wanted to go to CSC ;) In any case, I feel it is the consumer's responsibility to ask to go as far up the ladder as they can trying to get something resolved before taking it into a public arena. Like I said before, her boyfriend's mistake will probably end up costing CSC money, and she's going to throw some negativity at them too... just seems kinda shitty to me.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality