Frodo

So I was kinda freefalling horizontally...

Actually I was on my way to Mazda Rev-it-up going from Austin to a place between Houston and Galveston. Well, I made a good choice of route - instead of the usual hwy290 I took 71, which turned out to be: 1) a more scenic drive 2) faster, 3) safer, 4) more fun!
It's faster b/c 71 doesnt wind back and forth like 290 does so you can go really fast w/o worrying bout cops most of the time, and safer b/c the oncoming traffic is always separated by either a concrete wall or a wide median. And people are like really cool, they dont mind racing with ya for a while, in a kind of "healthy":ph34r: way - not aggressively, but with a sense of camaraderie (as in "screw the limit";)). Anyway, I hit 121mph (which you can see in the GPS pic as 195km/h, at the bottom) at 5,000rpm in 5th gear. I know I know, this is *baaad* :$but it's just the nature of this road - lots of straights, few places for cops, and my good ol' car. Besides last time i was @ 120mph was in January, and I was starving to reach terminal velocity, one way or another :)

Any of you doing triple-digit speeds on a regular basis? Do you get pulled over often? Do you have a radar detector?

P.S. Houston drivers (and vicinity) - you rock!! Austin drivers - well, you kinda don't;)

Believe it or not but I consistently did 120mph on wheel every weekend. Id post the avitar of one such ride but dont have it saved anymore. It is my avitar on another site though. If you or anyone is interested i'd send the link to my profile on that site so you can view it....by the way they said I shouldn't
ride superbikes either....(dont tell me I cant or shouldn't do something, I'll prove you wrong)
"GOT LEAD?"

Believe it or not but I consistently did 120mph on wheel every weekend

wow me too..... well back when i lived in germany and the autobahn was very close.... twas legal too... hehehehe.. alas the good ole days of driving that fast... now i'm content to do 5 over thelimit (80mph) to the dz out on I-80

Any of you doing triple-digit speeds on a regular basis? Do you get pulled over often? Do you have a radar detector?

amost forgot to say... you do know that if you get caught you are most likelye lokign at a trip to jail for twiple digits.... if you don't end up there well you got lucky...... not saying i havn't doen it myself though..(triple digits that is) got my geo storm up to 120 in hig school before....

I was clocked doing 132 mph in my 6,000 lbs heavy Land Rover Discovery II. Florida cops are very understanding. I had both my brothers in the car and told the State Trooper that I was showing the car off.

I never realized that my aluminium charriot would go that fast. Also I praise the Gods of Wind and Fire for not sending any side winds while I was doing it.
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

"Any of you doing triple-digit speeds on a regular basis?"
Did. Then moved to an area with one of the highest rates of vehicle-deer collisions in the country and figured it wise to tone it down a little - it's a virtual roadkill buffet out there some nights. Still haven't tried above 130, though the factory claims it'll do almost 165.

"Do you get pulled over often?"
Not successfully, yet. :)
"Do you have a radar detector?"

http://www.valentine1.com/

Me ole Aztek shuts down at 113mph then kicks back in at 110.:S There's some great empty straight strechs on the 1.5 hours drive to the dz.
Caught? Not yet luckily.
Radar? Yes but tends to stay unplugged:o. It would take a plane to tag me in the spots I speak of.

Huh?!? What cloud?!? Oh that!!! That's just Industrial Haze
Alex M.

I have peaked 100 in my truck before but I don't really like to do it that often. It might be different if I had a car.

I have had my share of speeding tickets as well. I guess that is just a hazard of liking to go fast :S:D
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I've been in the excess of 230 km/h (143 miles/h) on smaller hi-ways before. Didn't get caught. I did get caught driving 138, 139 and 132 in a 100 (km/h) within about a year so now I only drive around 115 in a 100. I can't really afford to speed let alone my insurance rate. Have fun speeding just don't get caught.;)

About you guys with spedometer pics...uh...at those speeds, ya mind watching the road?!? >:(>:( I might be out there!! :P;)

Heh, yeah I didn't take that pic. Pretty much anything over the speed limit (especially that fast) is a two hands on the wheel, both eyes on the road kinda situation*

That particular picture was on somewhat of a closed course as well. Taken on a well-paved vacant county road between corn fields (that were cut down at the time) that we pre-drove checking for holes, dips, debris, etc.

*this is not to suggest at other speeds you can just read a book while you're driving, but honeslty, how many people have their hands at 10 and 2 all the way to work?

Haha, yeah, drove to Colorado last summer, and getting to Western Kansas, I70 got REAL BORING... So I took a country road, and kept my little S-10 truck going as fast as it could....92mph! I drove like that with cruise control on for over two hours, very frustrated!

Have gone 220kph (dunno mph) in a Opel Astra, my moms car when I was like 13!

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

What kind of Mazda you got? I top'd out my '83 RX-7 at 125, think I could've done better with different gearing (it was set up for auto-cross). I sure miss that car. And got my Mustang up to 140 one time. So far I've gotten every car I've owned (excpet my 89 Mini and my new Nissan) into the triple digit range.

*this is not to suggest at other speeds you can just read a book while you're driving, but honeslty, how many people have their hands at 10 and 2 all the way to work?

Ah come on, shampoo!! I drive with my knee while reaching over into the back seat to grab my water bottle that's next to the makeup kit I just threw back there after having applied my mascara whilest calling into work on my cell phone making some lame traffic excuse as to why I was gonna be late!!! :D:D Damn woman drivers!!!>:(>:( :D:D:D

Nobody flame me...I am so totally kidding. (I only apply makeup at stoplights ;))
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

What kind of Mazda you got? I top'd out my '83 RX-7 at 125, think I could've done better with different gearing (it was set up for auto-cross). I sure miss that car. And got my Mustang up to 140 one time. So far I've gotten every car I've owned (excpet my 89 Mini and my new Nissan) into the triple digit range.

I said I was going to a Mazda-organized event (it was sort of like autocross, only fake), not that I own one. My car's a BMW 7-series, it was made in late 80-s... its got a manual tranny, hehe, me likes me carB|

btw it has one airbag, and i'm a little concerned - after all, its old, is there a risk of it malfunctioning (firing when not asked for)?... did they make good airbags 15 years ago?

my pussy half ton chevy shuts off at 96 :(, had my bike up to 95 before my wife smacked me in the back of the head and told me "slow this mother *%#%&er down"
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

In a car I have done 2 top speeds.....

2000 Corvette Convertable with the top down. 157MPH

1998 Porsche 911 Turbo S = 160 or so.

I have been clocked by a cop on the bike at 179. The cop was my friend and he said for me to go by as fast as I could.

Clocked and ticketed....112MPH in a 55MPH zone.....$575 ticket.:(

joe
PS- I dont speed a lot.....I have slowed down a lot.
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

Its kinda dumb to admit doing tripple digit speeds in a public forum. Its even dumber to post photo's of it... remember the story behind this video where the driver was convicted off the evidence of the video alone.

Of course now, I have never taken my car up to freefall speeds, let alone freefly freefall speeds on the open road. :)

That's very wise to point out mat....

Now... while at uni i had a part time job at Avis, the rent-a-car place... and it's fair to say that *some* people there couldn't make a day go by without hitting 120mph minimum and would often hit 140/150 or until the car went Bang :)
Hire cars... truly the best handling cars in the world :)

Truly one of the most juvenile threads of all time. There's nothing wrong with going fast, it also fun and a way to stretch your skills

on a track
on a legal road race
etc

there is plenty of places and clubs to do it, a public highway is not. Go find a good racing club it's legal, safer for others (what you do with yourself I don't care), and less lazy and selfish. Also a person can learn much about how to race.

It's the difference between how little children vs grown ups do it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants