kevin922

Does this look like stolen gear to you?

The seller noted this as an additional info message:

I have found the more info in the rig. Canopy-Phantom 26-2358,Manufacterer-National 1/88 Harness-Javelin J-4 059, Manufacturer-Sunpath 3/88

Still, I agree with your skepticism...:|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

.. a skydiver who doesn't know the "make or model" of his parachute?

Not surprising. That guy was obviously not into jumping in a big way back in 1990 when he last jumped... I've talked to a few active jumpers who can't say exactly what make and size their reserve is. :S

Main looks like an all F111 seven cell to me; judging by the flares at the line attachments I'd guess it was built by Glide Path.

Poor guy really should've sold that rig in 1991 when it was still considered good gear. The only thing that has any real value in today's market is the container - and imho a 1988 Javelin regardless of condition isn't worth the current high bid for the whole rig.

FYI to anyone thinking of bidding on it - talk to a rigger who's been around for awhile about Phantom round reserves before you bid; IIRC they were involved in the "acid mesh" issue years ago.

Seems fishy to me too. If I hadn't touched or saw something in 14 years, I'd probably forget all about it too but it is still a little odd. Way to bring it to our attention. I'm sure if it is stolen, the owner will be very greatful.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

interesting

Uh.. a skydiver who doesn't know the "make or model" of his parachute?

I doubt it. It looks like it's been packed for 14 odd years. Also, the reserve is a National Phantom 26. If it's been in that container for 14 years, I would imagine that it would fail a mandatory bromocresol test for acidic mesh, and would also very probably fail a strength test on the panels adjacent to the mesh. If it didn't, I certainly wouldn't jump it in any case, as it would most likely fail at some point. The main is some Glidepath canopy, very probably a Fury. The rig itself seems OK. Not great by today's standards, but certainly usuable, as is the main. The Fury has a little currency as a BASE canopy these days. Not bad deal for thr $275 that person paid for it.

I doubt very much whether this is stolen gear. It's just been hanging in a closet for forever. If it was stolen, it was probably stolen in 1988.