JustaBill

donating blood

I know this has been covered before, but with apologies to Ivan, I thought a reminder wouldn't hurt. This time of year the blood supply runs really low. With the holidays and the cold not as many people get out to do it. I have my appt set for 2pm today. It only takes about an hour or so and you can save 2 or 3 lives with your donation. So if any of you guys can find the time, call your local Red Cross or hospital and set up an appointment. It is really needed.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

ask about aphresis and bone marrow donation while your there...( i havent donated bone marrow yet but I am gonna look into it)

The whole bone marrow thing is a pain in the ass. You have to pay to get your marrow typed and put on the registry as a potential donor. And it's expensive to do. I looked into it a few years ago, but decided against it since it cost so much.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

really? that sounds riiculous.... So then I will retract that staement( although Im still gonna ask LOL)

Maybe it's different now than a few years ago. Lemme know what you find out.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Anyone ever donate blood while in a period of high intensity physical training?

I do 90 min cardio 7 days a week and heavy weight training on a 6 day rotation.

My gut tells me that donating blood right now would not be a good idea but I've never actually heard anyone say it for certain one way or the other.

Thoughts?

I'm on the marrow list.

The easiest way to get typed and on the list is to call the red cross or your local hospital and ask if anyone's doing a marrow drive, because those are typically at no cost to the donor. They'll get sponsorships or whatnot to cover the cost.

I got typed during a marrow drive for a classmate in college who had leukemia. Was no cost to any of us to get typed. Unfortunately, we never did find a match. [:/]

From marrow.org.

When you join the National Marrow Donor Program Registry as a potential marrow or blood stem cell donor, a small blood sample will be taken and tested to determine your tissue type. The cost for the tissue typing ranges from $65 to $96, depending on the donor center or recruitment group, the level of testing performed and the laboratory that completes the test.

Some volunteers pay for tissue typing when they join. This contribution is tax deductible and appreciated. Sometimes, there are other ways to cover the cost for testing. Some donor centers cover part of the cost of the testing for donors of whole blood or blood components. Funding may also be available through a sponsoring corporation or community group. Please contact your local donor center or recruitment group for more information.

If you are identified as a potential match for a patient, all medical costs are covered by the patient or the patient's medical insurance, as are all travel expenses and other non-medical costs.

I donated blood last december when I was in the middle of training for the international championships for martial arts.

My training regimen consisted of 2-3 hours every weekday, 8 hours on saturday, and sundays off.

I took two days off training after donating because I got dizzy easily, and was fine after that.

Would if I could but I can't. Lived in the UK in the early '80s and my have eaten a mad cow :S so they won't let me.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I took two days off training after donating because I got dizzy easily, and was fine after that.

Mmmm. Thanks for the reply Nightingale.
I take one week off lifting every 3-4 months. I think I'll wait till then to think about donating blood.

I dont relish the idea of getting dizzy while hoisting 6 full wheels.:S

I wouldn't have chosen to donate in the middle of my training regimen either, but a friend's little sister had been in a car accident and was needing blood (ruptured spleen or something like that??), so my friend asked if I would donate, as Lizzie and I have the same blood type (A+) but you don't have to be the right blood type to donate in someone's name, which is nice. Her parents are AB+ and B+, and they donated and she got a credit for their donation anyway. Seeing Lizzie healthy was well worth the few days of training I missed. She's a great kid.

The good thing about blood donation is that the blood gets separated into its different parts, which allows one single donation to help several people.

BUMP!

Another question on the same line:

IIRC, the FAA sez you can't fly for 72 hours after donating blood. Fewer red blood cells means less oxygen can get transported to the brain and so (theoretically at least) it'd be easier to get hypoxic. This, combined with the fact that I'm above-average athletically, has always had me saying no to blood donation.

My question is: has anyone ever had symptoms of hypoxia on a skydive that they felt they could attribute to donating blood recently before making the jump? I'm referring to "regular" altitude jumps, no high altitude, HALO kinda stuff.

Same question, different donation: what about donating/selling plasma? If you're keeping the RBCs, hypoxia should be less of a concern, right?

Elvisio "wrapping my belt around my arm" Rodriguez