Rover

Tandem with main / reserve out / handcam

That's what I was thinking.

Running the harness to long on the rig can add to the possibility of this happening.

While I agree that the Hand Cam it's self had nothing to do with a snag, the fact that the TI was attempting to get the camera that far around in front for a face shot may have. With the wide angle lenses we are using these days, coming around in front is not as necessary to get a decent shot. Plus putting your arm that far in front of the student is asking for trouble.

I'm making a assumption here, but it looks like a vector, and if it uses the standard webbing "D" handle for the reserve, there is very little risk of a snag.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It's not a Vector, but is modeled on the Vector and has the same operating systems. The Vector we use has a handle rather than a pud and in my opinion is alot more user friendly as you can rub your arm over it without snagging. It also has about 3 inches of tolerance before tension is applied to the reserve pin.

I've been waiting for someone to comment on the fact that in order to get video footage the right hand drogue release is being used as the primary. Usually it's the left hand release thats used which would mean that the left arm would less likely be in a position to interfere with the reserve handle.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

Before I used HandiCam, and when I'm not jumping one, I always use both the primary (left) and secondary (right) on a 50/50 basis, switching each jump to keep my proficiency in finding the handles.

Oh, and I'm now making my guess an Eclipse.:P

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I agree that it adds to the workload. To be honest, about 90% of the tandems I do I wear a handcam and for the 10% of jumps that do without are easier.
I'm sure that the use of handcams have been debated in this forum before and if they haven't they should be. I for one would be an active participant.

I'm sure that the use of handcams have been debated in this forum before and if they haven't they should be. I for one would be an active participant.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=handcam&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=score&mh=50
Arrive Safely

John

Since handy-mounts do not restrict the palms of your hands, it is very easy to revert to "Plan A" when things get scary.

Oddly - when I did 600 jumps with a hand-mounted video - I never had any problems, but when my camera was in the shop last month, I suffered a streamer.
Oh! And I made 2,500 tandem jumps - suffering 14 malfunctions - before hand-cam was invented.

So - statistically - jumping with a hand-mounted camera is safer.
Tee!
Hee!

Having more than 500 handycam jumps myself I cant figure out how his handycam ever got close to the reserve deployment handle during opening.

out front overhead,around and underneath during freefall then over the head and turned up for the pull then out front and rotated up for the opening sequence.

It looks more likely from his grasping the riser with his right hand during opening that he deployed the reserve with the secondary reserve lanyard.

It looks like he may have grabbed it during deployment.

How ever if he did deploy the reserve with the handycam I would have a talk with this TI about why it was anywhere near the reserve deployment handle before during or after deployment of the main.

When using the handycam TI's must always be aware of its position in reference to their students hands and their handles. I have deployed the main and reserve with my cam on and it is in my opinion hard to get the cam in to where it could grab the handle itself.

I would love to see the whole video. It could be a great tool for training TI's if it shows how his hand got in there or how the reserve was deployed.

JM2C

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

Thanks for your comments. To clarify, the reserve was activated by the primary reserve handle and not the secondary handle on the right. The hand with the handcam on didn't touch the reserve handle. As you know, because of the position of the handle on the MWL facing out, to activate the reserve you must deliberately place your hand there. It is not a natural place for the hand to be. Therefore the only logical conclusion is that the reserve pud struck the upper arm area, was dislodged and activated the reserve during the harness distortion of opening.
I'll do my best to get the movie clip uploaded this week so that it can be viewed by one and all.

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=guestpass&id=rz7z3

Finally got around to uploading the footage. Don't know how to make a 'clicky'. Can someone help?
Blue skies.