TrophyHusband

slider stowing idea

my slider has been irritating me, and i came up with an idea. could you put tabs on your risers that use the same concept as the barbs on the slider's kill lines? the best way to describe what i'm picturing in my head is to imagine a dive loop with some sort of stiffener or even a layer or 2 of riser material added to it to stiffen it a little (i don't think it would take much). it would be sewn shut. add one to the bottom of each riser and there you go. to the uninitiated you would appear to have four dive loops sewn near the bottom of your risers but you wouldn't be able put you finger in the loop. the inch or so at the bottom that isn't attached to the riser would become the barb. it would allow you to spend less time messing with the slider compared with using the velcro strap on the back of the jump suit. i'm not very good at putting the pictures in my head into word that people can understand, but i hope i've conveyed the idea well enough to spark some discussion. two questions immediately come to mind.

1. has this been thought of before and dismissed?

2. what are the potential downsides of adding something like this to the risers?

i'm trying to think of ways this could cause a malfunction, and the only thing i can come up with is lines getting snagged, but it you're snagging line on the bottom of your risers, you've already got big problems or your doing crw. (of course, many people think that if you're doing crw, you've got big problems.;))

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Sarcastic DZ.com response:
You have 900 jumps and haven't seen this yet?!

Normal response:
Unless I misinterpreted something, that's a very commonly used idea. Except you don't actually need a fancy barb. Almost any sort of webbing lump on the riser (not far above where the risers split) keeps the grommets, pulling at an angle, from rising up. And front risers only is oftenenough.

The problem is that even if the slider is kept down, and has kill lines in it, it can still billow up somewhat in place and catch air.

E.g., I use the kill lines in my slider to reduce its area; I use the couple small lumps of webbing I sewed on my front risers to keep the slider down, but I still spend the time to twist it a few times so it doesn't catch air, flap around, and catch the back of my head.

Sarcastic DZ.com response:
You have 900 jumps and haven't seen this yet?!

Normal response:
Unless I misinterpreted something, that's a very commonly used idea. Except you don't actually need a fancy barb. Almost any sort of webbing lump on the riser (not far above where the risers split) keeps the grommets, pulling at an angle, from rising up. And front risers only is oftenenough.

The problem is that even if the slider is kept down, and has kill lines in it, it can still billow up somewhat in place and catch air.

E.g., I use the kill lines in my slider to reduce its area; I use the couple small lumps of webbing I sewed on my front risers to keep the slider down, but I still spend the time to twist it a few times so it doesn't catch air, flap around, and catch the back of my head.

i've been on the sidelines raising babies for the last five years, so there's probably a lot of new stuff i haven't seen.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

i've been on the sidelines raising babies for the last five years, so there's probably a lot of new stuff i haven't seen.

....Then CLEARLY you have no idea what you are doing and should just go away and not bother the rest of us with your obvious questions.

....Then CLEARLY you have no idea what you are doing and should just go away and not bother the rest of us with your obvious questions.

So says the guy with only slightly more jumps than the one whom he is criticizing...

Are you suggesting that if one can't average at least 157 jumps per year, that they're incompetent and should quit the sport?

So says the guy with only slightly more jumps than the one whom he is criticizing...

Are you suggesting that if one can't average at least 157 jumps per year, that they're incompetent and should quit the sport?

Yup John, that's exactly what I am suggesting. NO way would that possibly be a joke. If only he averaged 158 jumps a year, then clearly he would be competent.
Do us all a favor - go back to asking stupid questions about what abbreviations mean, or just go get laid, or get the stick out of your ass.

Of course it was tongue in cheek Troph. Sarcasm sometimes doesn't translate well in text.

Similarly, I prefer sew Andreas pattern slider catchers starting with a piece of 1.5 inch wide, Type 4 tape.
I fold it into a triangle and sew it onto the back side of the front risers 1.5 inches above the crotch.
You don't need a fancy stitch pattern, just zig-zag the bejesus out of it.

Similarly, I prefer sew Andreas pattern slider catchers starting with a piece of 1.5 inch wide, Type 4 tape.
I fold it into a triangle and sew it onto the back side of the front risers 1.5 inches above the crotch.

An english translation please?:o;);)
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

An english translation please?:o;);)

Triangular slider-catchers sewn to the main risers 2.5 inches up from where the front and rear risers are sewn together.
Once you pull the slider below the slider-catchers, it stays down until after landing.

Thanks Rob,

I got the main jist of your post.

However I couldn't find any reference to an "Andreas Pattern".

Similar in nature to the V-tab skirt/line attachments/reinforcements on a well designed and constructed round canopy.

Could you please explain the term "Andreas Pattern" a little more in detail.

I should have been more precise in my query.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

"Andreas" pattern slider catchers are triangular and sewn to the (backside of the) front risers 1.5 or 2.5 inches above the "crotch" (where the front and rear risers are sewn together.
To make "Andreas" pattern slider-catchers, start by hot-cutting some 1.5 inch wide Type 3 tape (square weave) into 3 inche strips. Fold them into triangles 1.5 inches tall by 3 inches wide.
Zig-zag stitch around all the edges ... to hol them in a triangular shape.
Sew them to the risers with a zig-zag stitch ... 2.5 inches above the crotch. The longest edge faces down ... towards the crotch.

I may have been the only rigger to sew "Andreas" pattern slider-catchers, but prefer to give the glory to the customer who suggested the configuration.