kelel01

Stupid dilemma: I need credit so I can buy skydiving stuff!

Any ideas? My credit . . . a-sucks . . . but I am taking care of it. I just made thousands of dollars worth of stupid mistakes while in college and have been paying for it ever since. I know I could pay it off very quickly, and I'm much better at paying money due than I am at saving money.

I don't know . . . just throwing this out there to see if anyone has any ideas. [:/]

Kelly

see if the DZ will let you pay a portion every month till you have enough, and THEN start AFF?

otherwise, you can investigate "personal loans". you'll probably need a co-signer, though.

she already has 95 jumps, why would she need aff??
:P

Kelly, you need to find a sugardaddy to buy you some gear.;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Ooh, good idea. Personal loans . . . I forgot about my friend taking out a loan for "furniture". :D I could find a co-signer.

Oh, and by the way, it's not for AFF. I bought a used container, and it's just not working for me. I should have gotten more help before buying my gear, but too late for that. I need a new container.

Kelly

I HAD credit so I could pay for skydiving and I DESTROYED my credit because of it.

If you NEED credit to buy skydiving stuff, WAIT, dammit!

Use credit when you don't NEED credit, and that way you build credit by paying it off.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

It's always possible to get extra altitude from the pilot by flashing your (o)(o):ph34r:

On a serious note though, I treated each of my jumps after being cleared for self-supervision as if I was paying full student price. The difference went towards my gear fund. So the more hop-n-pops I did during the winter meant more $$$ into the rig fund.
My other ride is the relative wind.

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

see if the DZ will let you pay a portion every month till you have enough, and THEN start AFF?

otherwise, you can investigate "personal loans". you'll probably need a co-signer, though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

she already has 95 jumps, why would she need aff??

Kelly, you need to find a sugardaddy to buy you some gear.

What Jeff are you Volunteering - or begging?

:P:P

Edited:
What so I had a phone call while I was typing this - Gheesee - gimmeabreakeverynowandagain!:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Get a temporary second job. It makes for some long days, but it's worth it when you can pay cash for a rig.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Except for professionals, skydiving is a hobby. Going further into debt to for a hobby might not be your best option. Only you can answer that for sure. Personally, I am only willing to make future payments on a home or an airplane. YMMV, but there is a lot of inexpensive used gear out there with lots of usefull life in it.

Except for professionals, skydiving is a hobby. Going further into debt to for a hobby might not be your best option. Only you can answer that for sure. Personally, I am only willing to make future payments on a home or an airplane. YMMV, but there is a lot of inexpensive used gear out there with lots of usefull life in it.

Oh gheseus! [Pauly Voice]Mr. Respoonsibil- -ity - Gotta loosen - - - Upa lit- - Tle[/pauly voice]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

What's wrong with what you bought? Can it be fixed?That might be a whole lot cheaper than buying new.
New is cool. Actually jumping used gear, instead of not being able to afford to jump the new gear, is better.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Any ideas? My credit . . . a-sucks . . . but I am taking care of it. I just made thousands of dollars worth of stupid mistakes while in college and have been paying for it ever since. I know I could pay it off very quickly, and I'm much better at paying money due than I am at saving money.

I don't know . . . just throwing this out there to see if anyone has any ideas. [:/]
y

How bad was it, and how long ago? Do you have credit cards now, and do you have a vehicle with any signficant value? And how large a loan do you want from a bank?

You may find it easiest to secure a loan on a new or new used car, or perhaps can secure a loan with your present vehicle. Given your situation, you have best prospects at a credit union. Mine is dying to lend out money - they are sitting on fairly large reserves getting almost nothing in earnings with the prime rate at 1%. In the past I recall inserts in my statements for personal loans for $2000 - paid back over 12 months - as one offering. Interest rate wasn't spectacular (12% back when rates were a bit higher), but a similar loan on your record will bump up the rating nicely. I believe scoring prefers regular installment loan repayments over the random $20min payments to revolving credit card accounts.

Cheapest route may be to strike a deal with a vendor or seller, but that won't do anything for your future credit.

Kelly, you need to find a sugardaddy to buy you some gear.

Are you volunteering? ;)

Kelly

Is Kelly taking Sugar-Daddy applications? From her avatar, she looks like a cutie. But if she wants me as her Sugar-Daddy, she better hurry up and pick me while I still have $$$ in the bank. Who knows how long I can stay employed as once the gravy train is dried up, I will have to dip into the retirement funds for my jumping addiction. :S

Seriously, try not to get into so much debt that you can't get out of.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I'm with Wendy and Andrea on this. Get a second part time job, and put that paycheck away. Till then, use the gear you have, or get it fixed.

I have over 3000 skydives, and have always bought used. Last month though I found a great deal on a new Wings container. Paid cash for it. Buying used at the level you are at isn't bad, cause you'll want to upgrade after a few hundred jumps when your skills improve.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

You guys have a lot of good ideas, including "Be responsible". :)
And Wendy, you're right, used gear you can jump is good. It's just not what I would call 100% freefly friendly. And it fits like student gear. But since I'm not freeflying as of yet, I guess that's ok. I do want to eventually, but I guess it can wait. [:/]

Hey, Steve, I only need a temporary sugar daddy-- no long term commitment involved. ;):D

And Jeff, I'm disappointed in you. Buying a new canopy when I need your money for a rig. How could you??? :D

I'm with Mar here. I have been working dilligently, scraping and saving every dime i come across for the gear I need.

Instant gratification will only get you into major trouble.

Dont go into debt for a hobby. Ive been there and done it and all it got me was a ton of crap that I am left to get myself out of.

On a personal note, I'm taking great pride in paying cash for my 1st (beer) rig.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

What does it need to be freefly friendly? If it's mainly new velcro, you can do that yourself with the help of your friendly local rigger. If it's a BOC instead of an ROL, likewise. If it's a new tuck-under flap for the reserve, well, yes, that's harder. But depending on how the rigger shapes the reserve, if the flap doesn't poke up at all, it might do for awhile.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

There are those of us that know you, and know just how hard you are working for that gear. Good for you.

See ya at WFFC;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I think the least freefly friendly characteristic is that the riser covers come open-- I had a streaming toggle on my belly, for crying out loud. My rigger said we could send my unravelin' Javelin to Sunpath to see what they could do.

Kelly

Kelly

I told you I'd be your pimp and you could start turning tricks Kel:D

Never go to a DZ strip show.