MagicLou

Pick-Up Truck Advice

Well, I just got my first Pick-up. (I know :D)

(It seems that women just weren't responding to sports cars so I thought i'd take a page from Aggie Dave's vehicular aphrodisiac book, so to speak)

But, I digress, my question is Bed liners? Plastic inserts or spray in. I intend to keep this for awhile. (yup, purchased not leased).
Lou

Spray-in, no doubt, Rhino lining or Sprayliner, either one. But don't use one of the do-it-yourself kits, they are not the same!!! Had a buddy that used one and it totally sucked.

Once I had one done I swore I will never get another truck without one. They're a little more expensive but well worth it. My current one is a Sprayliner that's been in the truck for 8 years and tons of abuse. If I took a hose to it, you'd swear it was put in yesterday. Very durable and not nearly as slippery as the plastic ones too.

Well worth the extra $$ spent, IMO.

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

What he said. Just out of curiosity, do you think the dealership will warranty it if they put it in for you?

And on the sports cars and women; you would need at least a corvette or costlier to turn thier heads.:| Mustangs and Camaros are just too "trailer-rich".;) and Imports? Fergettaboutit!!! High school.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Here's a link with some info on Sprayliner.

Really, I haven't seen a professionally done spray-in liner that was bad. I have seen some Rhino Liners with some minor cracking but nothing to worry about. I have absolutely no cracking in mine after 8 years. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use Rhino Liner either though.

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

2004 GMC Sierra SLT 3500
4x4
Crew Cab
LLY Duramx (590 lb/ft)
Allison 5 speed auto

Damn, you went too far for a first truck. I tell you what, since i am a nice guy, i will take that over for you and break it in proper.:D You can drive my dodge deisel till then.:D:D

Nice choice, and def use the spray in liner. I will never get another liner that isn't .B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I can't help but wonder if Aggie Dave's vehicular aphrodisiac book mentioned that it must be a big Dodge, Ford or Chevy truck that looks like it can climb a building. ;)

Food for thought -

You say you're going to keep it for awhile, but don't mention your intentions of use. The spray-in liners require the paint be scuffed prior to application and the process can take anywhere from 1 - 2 days.

An alternative might be to place a rubbermaid-type liner in the bottom for awhile for around $80.00. When and if the truck bed gets scratched up enough that you feel it has become unsightly; you may then want to spend the $300.00 or so for the spray-in bedliner which could be a couple-three years out or prior to resell or trade-in.

You say you're going to keep it for awhile, but don't mention your intentions of use. The spray-in liners require the paint be scuffed prior to application and the process can take anywhere from 1 - 2 days.

An alternative might be to place a rubbermaid-type liner in the bottom for awhile for around $80.00. When and if the truck bed gets scratched up enough that you feel it has become unsightly; you may then want to spend the $300.00 or so for the spray-in bedliner which could be a couple-three years out or prior to resell or trade-in.

I hadn't considered that. I have access to some in dustrial grade rubber flooring 5/8' thick oil/gas proof etc.

I primarily bought the truck to tow a lage trailer (55' over 10,000 lbs) I just came back from a whirlwind tour of L.A..

I probably should have mentioned the 5th wheel hitch. I would have to cut the liner to fit the in bed rails. The spary in could simply be masked. but I could also just cut the rubber out around them.
Lou

I can't help but wonder if Aggie Dave's vehicular aphrodisiac book mentioned that it must be a big Dodge, Ford or Chevy truck that looks like it can climb a building. ;)

So what you're saying is that i'm screwed? (or more accurately not.)

Should have consulted the book before buying! ;)
Lou

Actually, the fifth wheel flat plates in the bottom of the bed (not the hitch itself) can be sprayed also and look like part of the bed.

So what you're saying is that i'm screwed? (or more accurately not.)

Depends on the RV ;)

It's not an RV ! B|
Lou

And don't get the Ziebart spray in liner. They screwed mine up 3 times, at about 3-4 days each time. And in my opinion it is too soft.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

Be careful of those mat bedliners and dropin liners. Your bed WILL rust over time, since a spray in is perminant, I would't worry about scuffing the paint and getting it done. I had a drop-in in my truck when I first got it, took it out and put a "spray in" on (it was a do it yourself Herculiner, which is nice, but not as nice as LineX) and I was surprised at how bad the bed was when I took the drop in out.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

WOW! What a truck.

Just go to Tractor Supply or somewhere like that and get a rubber bed mat. I've owned several trucks over the years and always had one and never had any rust underneeth. Which is quite amasing since they have all been worked hard and put up wet.
What I like about the mats are you can take them out to cleen, there cheep, and are rather skid resistant.

It was really interesting crossing the border with that thing. Had to bring it through the weaons of mass destruction X-ray machine.

The Guy at Canadian customs just looked at it, pointed to U.S. customs and said "go see the Americans":D
Lou

That's interesing, our local Ziebart is selling Line-X,

Is that the product you have a problem with ?

I don't think so. But I really don't know. All I know is it peeled up all over the first time, peeled up on the tailgate the second time. They also sprayed it too thick around the tailgate which puts a lot of pressure on the latches, and they sprayed over the access hole and the bolts so when the latches break I'm screwed. I'm not a very happy camper about the whole deal. Not to mention they didn't do anything to try to make it right with me.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

I'd skip the rubber map if ya like to drive fast LOL. I had a purpose made rubber "bed mat" in my Dodge. Nearly lost in on several occasions. If the wind rips just right theylike to hop.

As for the prep time i dropped my new F-250 off at 8 am had it back by 2pm when i got it sprayed. Only advice I give is be careful of sharp edges on cargo the lining can be cut or gouged.

C
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????