BethUK

Travelling with my rig....advice!

Hey People!

Anyone got any advice for me taking my rig on a plane (and no...this isn't in refrence to a jump plane!?!?) :D I am going to the South of France next week and can't decide whether to try and get my rig on as hand luggage or stick it in the hold?

Anyone got any tips on travelling with gear? I have the Cyprus security card already, but guess I wouldnt be able to show it if I was sticking the rig in the hold?

Help!:$

Beth :)
------------------------------------------------------------

"This isn't flying...it's falling with style!" Buzz Lightyear - Toystory 1

get a stashbag,bring it ower your shoulders. secure the handles,have the card on you but be descrete,if you sturb up people the filghcrew might not allow it. usaly no problem..

gonna bring gear(BASE) at the 3 time next month,and i will again travel that way,i never had an issue.. just be open and posivie:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Ive travelled several times with mine as a carry-on without any problems. Just make sure you check the airlines website to detemine if they allow them, have your cypress card, and be patient and cooperative. If they ask you to unpack you main do it for them and they will be much more pleasant.

Here's to the Breezes that blows through the Trezzez.....

Is it really that much different? There are stories all over about skydivers getting hassled here in the United States traveling with rigs. Even stories with how the reserve pin had been cut, and how there were holes made in rigs.
From my personal experience, and it's only speaking traveling in the United States. You can do everything by the book, and still get hassled. It's happened to me. But, I'm lucky, cause the good experiences have far out weighed the bad experiences. It all depends on who you get that's going to look at the rig, and what kind of mood they are in at the time.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Hi Beth,

At the moment your rig is probably your second biggest investment (when you buy a house it'll slip to No.3!).

I've ALWAYS carried mine on as hand baggage in a bag without any "real" problems.

OK. I've been stopped, had to open the bag and explain what it is. I've always stayed polite, had the paperwork with me, and I've never been refused.

Beware that some low-cost airlines like Easyjet have weight and dimension restrictions on hand bagage and your rig may fall foul of these.

Some folk have been hassled in the past, but in fairness to the airlines there is usually a horror storty associated with this. EG:

Skydiver; "Should I put my parachute in the overhead or under the seat?"

Fellow passenger; "Parachute!?"

Skydiver; "Yes. Didn't they give you one?"

Or the skydiver who decided to repack his main in the departure lounge "Just to be sure!"

My own "worst" was a few years ago flying out of Phoenix on Northworst (yeah... I know now!) hwen what appeared to be a Butlins' Redcoat stopped me at the security point and started frantically leafing through a ring binder entitled "Prohibited Articles" (or similar). I asked what the problem was to which she replied "I don't think parachutes are allowed on aircraft." I replied "Do you realise what you've just said?" and after an embarrased pause and a muttered comment by the woman's colleague I was allowed to continue.

Anyway, check with the airline for maximum carry on size, relax, and be polite. Most people are attitude mirrors.

Mike.

Edited to add: If you are putting it in the hold put it in a HARD caseto protect it against the Rugby League team they use as baggage handlers. Hold baggage is also scanned, sniffed etc... so have your paperwork handy for when they tannoy for "Passenger Beth who is flying to Nice on Easyjet... etc... please go to the security point at departures"

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Cheers Mike!

One last querie...IF I decide to take it on as hand luggage and they decide it is too large, what happens then? They take it off me and put it in the hold and I get charged excess weight?

Beth :)
------------------------------------------------------------

"This isn't flying...it's falling with style!" Buzz Lightyear - Toystory 1

I've done both check and carry on. Last three trips I've checked it (in a gear bag) and had no problems - but I was flying in and out of airports that see quite a few skydivers (Orlando, FL and Ontario, CA).

Depending on how big your rig is and what type/size aircraft you are flying in you might not be able to fit it in the overhead compartments (mine wouldn't have on the first leg of my last trip but would have on the other three flights). Remember if it doesn't fit in the overhead or under the seat they can make you check it...

Personally I think carrying it on is a pain in the ass - enough of a pain in the ass that I'm willing to risk them losing it by checking it.

I do put my instruments and logbook in my carryon (I'd be devastated if I lost my logbook - gear is replacable), and my jumpsuit(s) and helmet in my suitcase. That way if they lose my rig at least I'll have everything else I need to jump with when I arrive.

I knowI read somewhere here that Air France gave someone some real hassles

me me me !!!

well , it wasn't air france, rather the french airport police (similar to TSA)
the airline (El Al) had no problem , but the police womam , where they screen your carry on bags, made me go down to the checkin counter and check my rig.
or as she said it : " its my airport and my rules" :(

and no, the TSA/USPA letter didn't convice her...

if you're taking off from a french airport, be prepared to check it in.
O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

Beth,

I always used to take mine as carry-on. I had a rig bag custom made that was only just large enough to take the rig and was thus within the dimensions that check-in staff expect to see for cabin baggage. I never got any hassle, but I always half expected to and didn't have any kind of plan B in the case of problems. I've since invested in a hard case and always put it in the hold now. I'm glad I did since now there's no uncertainty and it means I don't have to lug my rig around the airport until it's time to board the flight.

The one thing I would say is, if you decide to take your rig as cabin baggage make sure you have a means of packing it securely in case you're refused. I wouldn't say a regular rig bag is sufficient to protect your gear once the baggage handlers decide to drop-kick it into the hold!

Thanks Tim, but i tried Vicki's suggestion and contacted the Cyprus people.

I had no more than clicked send after giving them the name and addy, when Eric shot back with, "it's on it's way"

Real cool people.

Thanks again for the suggestion Vicki.:)
Edited: cause i can't spell :$