LivingLegend

Canopy stalls - Advice please

Was out at the DZ Sat and a well respected instructor advised I try taking my rented student canopy to the point of stall and then just over. Watch it start to collapse behind me then release slowly to bring it back.
He said it would be good practice for the day I needed it ifor real. So did it a couple of times at 3000 or so and all seemed well and good.It collapsed then re-inflated again.

As a beginner I just wanted to know if this is something that I should be doing or what ?
How dangerous is it ?

1.618 !

Yes you should stall a canopy, especially one you've never jumped before. It teaches you what it feels like, how the canopy will sink in and how to flare without stalling the canopy.

Should you do it on every jump?

Well that's up to your better judgement on altitude and traffic.

How dangerous is it?

Well, you could spin up your canopy and result in a chop, you can collapse your canopy, so keep it above your decision altitude and away from traffic please.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You'll get better feedback of you post that question in the canopy control forum.

But yes, its something thats good to know on your canopy. As long as you do it high and relase the bakes slowly and evenly when you get out of the stall.
Remster

Standard warning about I'm not an instructor and you should trust your instructors and ask your S&TA if you aren't sure about advise you get, but...

Learning what it feels like to collapse a canopy and how best to respond is a very important skill. Once you get your own canopy, you should specifically find where your canopy stalls at. If you ever need to enter deep brakes to sink in between two obstacles, then it is very important to know just how much you can go into brakes. As long as you evenly and slowly go out of a stall while keeping the loading of your leg strapes symmetrical, then there should be no problem. If you asymmetrically load it or quickly come out, you could give yourself a whole bunch of line twists, possibly even a line over. This is the reason that I'm sure you instructor gave you a certain altitude to do all this above, which would correspond to your decision altitude. There is a chance this could necessitate a cut away, so be prepared for that. But learning this now is much better than stalling your canopy at 150' somewhere down the line.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

I like my canopies "loose." I couldn't stall my Stiletto unless I tied the toggles to my shoe! In fact....I don't know that I have ever put a canopy in such a dramatic stall that it actually collapsed. Don't see the point in it. I see an advantage in knowing where the slow flight limit is.....but none in putting it in a "Hard Stall."

I like my canopies "loose." I couldn't stall my Stiletto unless I tied the toggles to my shoe! In fact....I don't know that I have ever put a canopy in such a dramatic stall that it actually collapsed. Don't see the point in it. I see an advantage in knowing where the slow flight limit is.....but none in putting it in a "Hard Stall."

He was talking about finding the stall point of the rear risers as opposed to the toggles.

Could be handy to know where that stall point if in case you need to land rear risers some day.

He can also discover if the canopy has a quick stall point or is heavily loaded then you would know that it is better to chop it, altitude permitting.

If you loose a toggle down low, it's nice to know where that sweet spot is, so you can land it with rear risers without stalling and slammin' it in on your booty!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Erm, no, I only used the toggles not the risers.
And i didnt even have to wrap them round my hands to do it.

You shouldn't have to take a wrap to stall a canopy. I would recommend trying to rear riser stall, as well. Try it up high. There's a good chance that you will one day want or need to land completely on rear risers. It's nice to know how to do it just right to give a soft landing without stalling.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Sorry, if I miss-interpreted your original post. I guess the part of your post that stuck in my mind was, "you might need to use it one day."

Please DON'T practice any rear risers stalls or any other maneuver you are unfamiliar with down low.

Practice them from an altitude you would be comfortable cutting away from; in case you inadvertently induce a malfuction or problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

So try a canopy ride down on rear risers alone then ?

No. Find the stall on your rear risers up higher (above 2,000', IMO). Then do the rest of your canopy ride as per usual. Talk to your instructors and/or S&TA. I think you're misinterpreting what's being written here.

I take it theres a case when the brake lines are stuffed or something ?

If you lose a toggle or break a brake line below a safe cutaway altitude, rear risers will likely be the best option.

Click

You shouldn't have to take a wrap to stall a canopy

I'll bet you do on a student canopy amongst others.

Ah, yes. You're right. I forgot that they make those things hard to stall. I need to get on a Navigator and wring that thing out. ;)

Click

Dave, you have heard great advice by experienced skydiverdivers.

It is importatnt though that you practice up high (say you open at 5K or do a hop & pop a little higher) Do toggle stalls, and back risers, keep in mind that to get them to recover (toggle stall) you only need to ease up your hands a couple of inches, otherwise it will dive abruptly. Talk to your ST&A and/or instructor and let then know you want to pratice these.

THe riser stall you can held for as long as you are high enough since it will not collapse your wing.

Blue skies.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon