FlyingJ

Olympics

I know there has been a lot of discussion about Olympic sports and a few events that some of us think shouldn't be there, but I tell you what, I just finished watching 5 or 10 minutes of Olympic Badminton and I could never say another bad thing about it. Those guys were tearing up that court. Might not be a sport for me, but damn, I take back all of the derogatory comments I've made about it in the past.
Killing threads since 2004.

Dude, I'd love to start a "curling" team. I know, winter olypics, but I think that with a couple of weeks' practice, along with my team, I could easily be California champion.

I really need to find a sport that Americans don't do well. Sure, in curling I'd be competing with those cats from Minnesota, Wisconsin and Maine, but how cool would it be to be "da skip" of the California curling championship team?:)
Any local Cali folks want to meet me at an ice rink and become the hottest new team in the Central Valley? A team with Olympic tryout aspirations? Sure, we'll be in last place, but we'll have the best tans there!)

Tuna - you could be the skip of the Florida team.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I know, winter olypics, but I think that with a couple of weeks' practice, along with my team, I could easily be California champion.

Stranger things have happened! There's a guy here in my area that was on the Olympic bobseld team at the last Olympics. I think he had this big cart that he pushed around in 95 degree heat here in FL. It worked for him...start training! ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

IMHO: shit-can synchrinized swimming (although I admire their breath holds). Add Skydiving-because everyone "here" loves to fall our of airplanes. Please keep Badminton and table tenniis because the stragety, speed, and skill are awesome!

I apologize for any spelling errors.

Tim T.
Team Paraclete

why put "synchronized swimming" in as an event and not some of the skydiving disciplines?

Money. Viewers and more money.

To put on synchro-swim they have to build -- nothing. The pool already exists and so do the stands. Sell tickets, make a deal with the network and boom -- done. The audience, while they may have no freekin' clue WTF is going on, can understand the basics of holding your breath under water and some kind of vague dance routine.

Skydiving just ain't that simple.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

No kidding, I never thought I'd be watching some of the things I have been. I have never had an interest in gymnastics, but since I started skydiving I realize how hard it is to actually do some of this stuff, and I've got a minute whereas they are jumping off the ground and doing it. It's just amazing!

p.s. i will never be in the olympics, I refuse to subject my body to whatever process it is that turns these people into physical perfection.

...exercise, you say? my point exactly.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams