fogobo

Advance Seven harness and container

hi Pantanal,
do I see correctly ? do you have a soft handle for the reserve and a semi-rigid hookable handle for the cutaway ?

not saying that's there's anything wrong with that, but I would like to listen (actually read) about the thought process that lead to that choice.

Sweet rig by the way, me likey.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

It's the hooktable cutaway handle that basik offers on their rigs..

thanks, I know that already, but my question was "why this one on the breakaway, and a soft on the reserve ? "
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Hey Nicholas,
I´m still getting used to this cutaway handle, but can tell you that it gives a great grip and stays on site while in belly flight. It´s very easy to grab it.
And for the reserve handle, I like it this way, I have two reserves rides using this reserve handle model and felt very secured with it.
Hope I could help
safe jumps
prego

While I've only seen photos it seems like the Seven has a lot of nicely thought out or relatively innovative features.

It's interesting to see a magnet-closed line stow pouch on the main bag. Bags with no elastics except for the closing stows have been around, but normally not in regular production.

As for the reserve with 2 flaps only, making the freebag heavier and take over the role of the side flaps: Innovative and saves bulk. It seems like another way to let more grit get into the reserve "container", and on any rolled-out landing, rub dirt straight into your freebag. But that's a matter of personal philosophy.

They also have an interesting option to order with either type 7 or type 8 harness material, the type 8 being softer & more flexible. Not sure how that's done -- Other brands have done things like having the stiffer, stronger type 7 for the main lift webs, but doubled soft type 8 for chest and leg straps.

It's the hooktable cutaway handle that basik offers on their rigs..

I wouldn't want that personally. Way to dangerous to have it stick out that much from the chest. It would be great if it were flush against the chest like other designs. Looks great for tandem rigs.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

" ... As for the reserve with 2 flaps only, making the freebag heavier and take over the role of the side flaps: Innovative and saves bulk. It seems like another way to let more grit get into the reserve "container", and on any rolled-out landing, rub dirt straight into your freebag. But that's a matter of personal philosophy. ..."

..................................................................................................

I see Advance Seven as leading the industry because you can only down-sized a six-flap reserve container so much before you run into scaling problems.
The fewer flaps, the fewer chances of interference.
For example. Talon 1 never got smaller than "B" size (150 square foot reserve) because the container got too narrow and started interfering with launching pilot chutes with wide caps. R.I.'s short-term solution was stronger springs, but their long-term solution was smaller diameter pilot chute caps.

Mirage ran into a similar problem a few years back when a loose closing loop interfered with a Cypres deployment. A grommet on the top of a pilot chute pressed the cut end of a Cypres loop so firmly against the underside of another flap so that the resulting friction caused the reserve deployment to hesitate. The industry's (Atom, Icon, Infinity, Mirage, Next, etc.) response was to relocate Cypres cutters higher in the container, to reduce the amount of loose closing loop interfering with Cypres deployments.

... It's interesting to see a magnet-closed line stow pouch on the main bag. Bags with no elastics except for the closing stows have been around, but normally not in regular production.

"

.....................................................................................................

Regular production includes the Velcro-closed line-stow pockets on most reserve freebags. Unfortunately, that technology never lasted on main deployment bags because pile Velcros wears out quickly and has to be replaced every one hundred or two hundred jumps.

Most of the other attempts at elastic-less main d-bags depended upon tuck tabs. Unfortunately, tuck tabs have very tight manufacturing tolerances. Ergo, tuck tabs only work well with one size of main canopy per d-bag size. As soon as you start mixing and matching main canopies, you throw off all those tight tolerances ... for tuck tabs.
Magnets look like a great solution to both problems, being far more durable than Velcro and having looser tolerances than tuck tabs.

" ... They also have an interesting option to order with either type 7 or type 8 harness material, the type 8 being softer & more flexible. Not sure how that's done -- Other brands have done things like having the stiffer, stronger type 7 for the main lift webs, but doubled soft type 8 for chest and leg straps.

..."

..............................................................................................

Type 8 webbing is plenty strong enough for most skydiving harnesses. A former Mirage employee even showed me some drop-test results proving that double Type 8 main lift webs can survive harder opening shocks because "they stretch more."

However, Type 8 is not as durable so that is why most manufacturers sew a layer of Type 7 or Type 13 to the front of MLWs, to improve abrasion resistance when harnesses are dragged across the packing floor.

A single layer of Type 8 webbing is strong enough for most chest straps, but modern harnesses usually use two layers (of Type 8) to reduce slippage through buckles. Remember that most MIL SPEC hardware was designed for bulky, cotton Type 13 webbing, which is far thicker and rougher - and resists slippage much better - than modern nylon webbing.

Mirage ran into a similar problem a few years back when a loose closing loop interfered with a Cypres deployment. A grommet on the top of a pilot chute pressed the cut end of a Cypres loop so firmly against the underside of another flap so that the resulting friction caused the reserve deployment to hesitate. The industry's (Atom, Icon, Infinity, Mirage, Next, etc.) response was to relocate Cypres cutters higher in the container, to reduce the amount of loose closing loop interfering with Cypres deployments.

Here is this issue happening on Vector:

VIDEO: http://www.sendspace.com/file/f7cr59

DISCUSSION: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=2101957;page=1;mh=-1;;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC

I received my brand new Seven a few days ago. The first seven in Canada supposedly! I'm happy with my decision to go with Basik instead of the more common choices.

I really really like the magnetic freefly handle. Very secure but easy to pull out when needed.

The padding on the harness is very comfortable too.

Concerning the cutaway handle, I wasn't convinced on the hookable handle, so I ordered 2: one hookable and one soft handle. The container came with the hookable in place, and I have to say it is much better than I imagined. The handle is somewhat rigid, and it is not too exposed as it's not too thick. It is very secure in the harness pocket, so It would be hard to pull it out accidently, but would be very easy to pull when needed. I think I'll keep it!

The container was shipped exactly on time as they told me when I ordered, and Jerôme at Basik answered my endless questions right away.

Now that there's a dealer in the states (there was not when I ordered) it's even easier for people who want to buy one.

First time I saw my SEVEN I was amazed with quality and the reserve container.
Packed my reserve right away and first thing I did was to deploy it on the ground. Really amazed me, extended the bridle all the way out and the freebag was ready to go. The freebag is out anywhay anytime you wanna see it.
Reserve PC coil is very strong also, close to mirage PC. Check it out before you pack it, I´m sure you gonna like it.
About the reserve cutway handle, I had the exactly sensation. When I saw for the first time, doesn´t look very good on the picture, but when you actually get the real deal, it gives you confidence.
Congrats on your new Seven, I´m sure you´ll enjoy it.
cheers
prego

It would be nice to see pics of the freebag out of the container. There's just one small one that I saw on the company's web site. There is some pocketing at top and bottom, with vestigial side flaps.

All the buzz is about having only 2 flaps, but as the company has done, something is needed to pocket the freebag, keep the reserve risers from slipping out, etc.

Thanks Pantanal.
Clicky for the manual:

http://www.basik.fr/en/images/Seven/seven_manual_02-09.pdf

It doesn't have detailed pictures but enough to see the small flaps. Two mini flaps fold inward at the top of the freebag and there's a bungee to create a staging stow using the bridle. That's a very good way to stage the bag when there's little other container around the freebag.

Hello Chapman,

The reserve container is solid as a rock, just like any other rig.
It´s understandable the way you´re considering it right now, but I wish you could have the chance to see a SEVEN soon. Maybe it could change your first impressions for better.
safe jumps
prego

Hello all,

I will make some photos for you tomorrow to show how it is made and you will more understand this concept created in 1997. Feel free to ask questions.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

It´s understandable the way you´re considering it right now, but I wish you could have the chance to see a SEVEN soon.

Yeah, I'm not against the rig. It has a lot of innovative features. But every design decision has its tradeoffs, good and bad points. It may be a 'proven rig' someplace else, but here, it still has to prove itself because little is known.

So, yes, seeing more & bigger photos of the parts & details of the rig will be nice to let us over here learn more about it.