spectrefish

remember the Hot dog bathtub ad???

Anyone know where I can get a copy of this advertisement fast? I threw away all the old issues of my mags. Now I need an advertisement that "could offend some people, not others" for class. I need this by wednesday!!

I'd go to the DZ and try to dig it out of a pile somewhere but I thought this might be easier. Besides, I don't even remember which issue it was.

I was so absolutely, horribly offended by this advertisement that I showed it to my girlfriend immediately. She was so absolutely horribly offended by this advertisement that she laughed hysterically.

umop ap!sdn w,I

It was an ad for Skydiving Classifieds. Skydiving mag can probably send you a tear sheet. I felt so bad for all those hotdogs being objectified like that!

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

Ew, scary. And someone thought this was a good idea/pertinent why? :S

Well, it got people talking, but it fell into the same trap that snags lots of funny/controversial ads: Everybody remembers the one about the fart in the car or the cat herding or the karate bear or the hotdogs, but I can't for the life of me remember what any of those ads were trying to sell me. Oops, waste of money.

I scanned the forum messages here for previous talk of that advertisement. That gave me a fairly exact time frame which I used to search my collection of back issues. I then found it on the 2nd try.

Attached is the size-limited version of the ad, required by forum software for posting of photos. I've e-mailed you the full-size version.

The page size of the ad is a little larger than my scanner can handle, so a small amount is missing around the edges. If what I've provided is inadequate, maybe someone with a larger scanner can do it up properly for you.

The "Skydiving" issue is April, 2001, on the inside-back cover.

Are u sure your talkin about the same ad? Because i think the one in the mag. was of a guy almost completely covered up in uncooked hot dogs. Ive never seen this one before.

If I am correct, the ad with the woman was first. Many months (years?) later was the "take off" ad with the guy. I think there is even a thread about the two ads here on dropzone.com

Are u sure your talkin about the same ad? Because i think the one in the mag. was of a guy almost completely covered up in uncooked hot dogs. Ive never seen this one before.

and yeah i do think it was for the swoop2 vid.

I think it was done by the same people that did Swoop 2. If you see the end of Swoop 1 they make jokes about it. The Swoop 2 cover was just part of the running joke about the hotdogs. I think there was one more woman/hotdog ad and then an add with a guy and hotdogs (maybe it was Sonic, I can't remember).

It was debated on rec.skydiving a lot back then. Go search those archives.

Honestly, I never understood the ad but realized what they were trying to do with a memoriable image. And I never understood the uproar about it either. The whole thing was blown out of proportion.

Honestly, I never understood the ad but realized what they were trying to do with a memoriable image. And I never understood the uproar about it either. The whole thing was blown out of proportion.

This is the first time that I've seen that picture. I don't understand the ad, nor the fact that there was an uproar about it either. :S

OMG that's to funny... I nearly sprayed beer i'm laughing so hard... such self righteous indignation! rotflmao... thanks i needed that...

that is the kind of free publicity Metal bands used to LOVE to get from small town preachers... everytime one started burning records and throwing a hissy 50 more albums sold....to bad it wasnt more mainstream...

I guess I need to clarify just in case people are thinking from my previous post that I was "actually" offended by the ad. I truly thought it was funny in a "my eyes are burning" kinda way. In other words it was an offense to my sense of vision, not my sense of taste. :S Wait, that didn't come out right did it? :S:S Now I'm making it sound like I have bad taste. I think I'll just quit while I'm behind :D
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

I guess I need to clarify just in case people are thinking from my previous post that I was "actually" offended by the ad. I truly thought it was funny in a "my eyes are burning" kinda way. In other words it was an offense to my sense of vision, not my sense of taste. :S Wait, that didn't come out right did it? :S:S Now I'm making it sound like I have bad taste. I think I'll just quit while I'm behind :D

hehehe:$Keith said behind:$

Did anyone notice a slightly mysoginistic attitude of Kallend in that Recdot thread:o

In relation to the add, I also have trouble, with a company who rests their credability on T&A advertising
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

HA! That ad's great! Why would that offend people? It's funny as hell.

You people need to relax...maybe go home and take a hot dog bath.

bwahahaha, good idea!

Join me!?!? :ph34r:
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

HA! That ad's great! Why would that offend people? It's funny as hell.

You people need to relax...maybe go home and take a hot dog bath.

bwahahaha, good idea!

Join me!?!? :ph34r:

I'll bring the ketchup.

Ewwwww. That is wrong on soooo many levels.

Yet, for some reason, I'm oddly aroused... ;)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1