ACMESkydiver

Because I don't WANT a f*cking 'B' license!!!

calm down, no one is forcing you to get one are they?

Naw, but I just get sick of people asking why I don't have one...it was just starting to sound like people nagging, and it got on my nerves (and everyone on here knows that I have a freaking short fuse sometimes...:P)

Say it ain't so!

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

In water training, you learn alot about how your rig is going to react when wet,how to prepare if you know you're going to land there, and what the canopy's going to do. It was very informative. It's not just swimming skills.

Unfortunately, I'm very familiar with how 30 pounds can become 70 pounds when wet and strapped to you, and how an unexpected dip in full gear (of various sorts :() puts you in a bit of a time crunch to get the heavy things off, keep what's gonna save your life (Ok I know we don't jump with rifles, but still :P) and swim out from under the obstacle.

I'll go through it eventually, I have no problem with that, and I already have all of the 'prepare for a water landing' book knowledge. I'm not in a rush to do it, again, because I've seen and been told what they do, and it's much more simplistic than some of the training I have been through already. I'm sure of the following 2 things:

1.) If I had a water landing, I would take the right EP's, and have at very least the same chance of uninjured survival as my peers that have completed their USPA 'Water Training'. I have done more water survival training than anyone holding their USPA license that completed the training once and never went back in the water in a stressful situation or even a hazardous environment simulation.

and

2.) If I landed in the body of water that is near my DZ, I'd be a freaking goner anyway. B|:(:P That river is not kind. [:/]
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Well.. after reading this thread three or four times from start to finish.. *yawn* I think that you want to get your B but you have a requirement to get it that others don't have.. Besides the water training, hubby needs to get his butt up there and become "B" quialified.. Better start working on it or you'll never jump them specialty aircraft..
:DB|:P
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

Well.. after reading this thread three or four times from start to finish.. *yawn* I think that you want to get your B but you have a requirement to get it that others don't have.. Besides the water training, hubby needs to get his butt up there and become "B" quialified.. Better start working on it or you'll never jump them specialty aircraft..
:DB|:P

Count on ChopChop to freaking make sense of my ranting...where's the fun in that?? :P:ph34r:
~Jaye

My home DZ does; 'C' license and DZO approval to land at the airport. A lot of people like landing at the airport better because you land, pack, and are ready to go again...the East Field requires a ride back, and can seriously cut into your jumping time. I really don't have any intention of ever landing at the airport though; I'm not keen on sharing any kind of air space with student helicopter pilots B|...even if I have a D and PRO and everything else, it's just not a risk that I personally feel I can take. Cool for anyone else that can, though! B|

Hah everyone lands next to the runway and helicopter school by me :D:ph34r:

Our restricted landing area is D lic. Shame is that some people have the old D and those of us who have to wait for the new one can't land there even with more experience.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Any thoughts of how nice it would be to do a Demo one day?:)GOTTA GET ALL QUALIFICATIONS TO HIT THE "DEMO" QUALIFIED RATING.
No demo for the Church picnic without it (a goal of mine) The area is FAR easier to land in than my DZ's entire landing area but, still requiring qualifications.

Any thoughts of how nice it would be to do a Demo one day?:)GOTTA GET ALL QUALIFICATIONS TO HIT THE "DEMO" QUALIFIED RATING.
No demo for the Church picnic without it (a goal of mine) The area is FAR easier to land in than my DZ's entire landing area but, still requiring qualifications.

Um...ACME would do a demo of how to bust up your hand on landing...uh, thrice. :(
~Jaye

...If you ever see more than an 'A' next to my number you'll know that my life took a major change...but why do people keep buggin' on me for it??...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Amen! I graduated in 1985 and continued in the sport without the issue ever being brought up until late 1987, when I was driving from Georgia to New York and stopped at a DZ in Hartwood, Virginia. Even though I had 120 jumps and was current, they made me do a supervised solo because I didn't have a license. Soon after that I purchased an "A" license, which I've held since. Meanwhile I've long since qualified for a "D" (under both the older and the revised standards) but have not yet had a reason to upgrade.

And why should I? I can do anything with my "A" that I could do with a "D". I believe USPA pressures us into getting a "D" by artificially requiring it for certain things. If I have enough experience to qualify for an attempt at an instructor rating, a PRO rating, or competing at the Nationals, why should my "A" license hold me back? Requiring a "D" is like requiring purple underwear - it has nothing to do with one's ability to do the task at hand.

If I ever decide I need a "D" I'll study the S.I.M., fill out the paperwork, and buy one. Until then, that money might better be spent on a jump ticket.

Cheers,
Jon S.

In most cases, the advanced licenses mean na-da. But in some isolated cases like:

1) Wildwood Beech Boogie
2) Florida Keys Boogie

etc, etc, etc ...

It allows you to jump at an event where you couldn't with a lower license.

Interesting point. Some input from DZO's & event organizers would be useful: Are you saying you would not allow me to make beach jumps, jump specialty aircraft, etc. with my "A" license, even though I have nearly 800 jumps?

If not, why?

Jon S.

Interesting point. Some input from DZO's & event organizers would be useful: Are you saying you would not allow me to make beach jumps, jump specialty aircraft, etc. with my "A" license, even though I have nearly 800 jumps?

If not, why?

800 jumps isn't the same as a D license, which has some skill and varied experience requirements that you could be short of, or well in excess of. Requiring you to have taken the written test and done the various accuracy tests to get a D simplifies the verification process for the given DZ.

I'd expect anyone that knows you wouldn't care.

Are you saying you would not allow me to make beach jumps, jump specialty aircraft, etc. with my "A" license, even though I have nearly 800 jumps?

Just because you've jumped a lot doesn't mean you've worked on things like accuracy, canopy control or have kept up with the regulations in the SIMS regarding safety. You may have done all of those things, but how does anyone know for sure when you show up at a boogie without a higher license than an A?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Just because you've jumped a lot doesn't mean you've worked on things like accuracy, canopy control or have kept up with the regulations in the SIMS regarding safety. You may have done all of those things, but how does anyone know for sure when you show up at a boogie without a higher license than an A?

I've seen plenty of "D" holders who cannot consistently land within 50' of a target. But I'm intrigued by your thinking here, suggesting that 800 jumps and many years in the sport mean little if I don't have a "D". Of course, an organizer might raise an eyebrow when he sees the "A", but after asking a few questions and checking a logbook it seems the proper response would be "Oh, okay...have a nice boogie."

It would seem to me that anyone with a few hundred jumps or more who could not fly & land safely, regardless of the circumstances, would be the rare exception, not the rule. Even when I had fewer than 100 jumps I was landing on, or very close to, the target. Something about training on rounds that teaches canopy control like nothing else can.

I have near-excellent canopy control and am well qualified to attempt to earn a PRO rating. I think if I can make the required number of accuracy landings I should be allowed to get the rating. I will be no more qualified after I fill out the paperwork for a "D" and send the $20 to USPA headquarters. The "D" requirement here is cosmetic - it has nothing to do with one's ability to land a parachute on target.

So far I've made my share of boogies, night jumps, and high-altitude loads, and have never yet been held back because of my "A". But I fear being taken by surprise someday. If they're so paranoid about my license, wait 'til they find out I don't have an AAD...

Happy weekend,

Jon S.

***If they're so paranoid about my license, wait 'til they find out I don't have an AAD...

Happy weekend,

Jon S.

:D OMG!!! I have no clue why but that statement struck me as soo funny. :D
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

But I'm intrigued by your thinking here, suggesting that 800 jumps and many years in the sport mean little if I don't have a "D".

Just so you know, I wasn't really questioning your abilities. I don't know you and have never seen you fly your canopy. I was just playing devil's advocate and suggesting why having a higher license would be a good idea.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon