Daizey

Pros and Cons of Joining a Sorority?

if none will ever tell you what to do then why are you asking?

I didn't ask it to find out what you all would think if i joined it....I asked it to find out what the pros and cons of joining such an organization would be....

I could care less what everyone says, I'm going to make the decision myself once i find out what joining a sorority entails...

you will never disagree with me in public. DO YOU HEAR ME SQUID. NOW GE ON THE GROUND AND SHOW ME BACON

Oh please, what are you gonna do to me, huh?;):P

*daizey*

thats the thing most frat/sor's i've seen dopnt actually have a common goal. accpet to humiliate the younger members. as I said above, I dont knwo her sitch-e-a-tion but these are the thing I have seen.

maybe the real frats/sor's are so exclusive and sercretive that I havent seen them. in which case my judgment strill stands that the ones I see are sheep.

CLAY , thats a huge breeding ground fro ya!

ok seriously,
dont let em fool you ,Kristi. but dont let us chenage you mind about trying it out. but if you become a sheep. I'll disown you; I don't want clay asa cousin in law! LOL
My photos

My Videos

if none will ever tell you what to do then why are you asking?

I didn't ask it to find out what you all would think if i joined it....I asked it to find out what the pros and cons of joining such an organization would be....

I could care less what everyone says, I'm going to make the decision myself once i find out what joining a sorority entails...

you will never disagree with me in public. DO YOU HEAR ME SQUID. NOW GE ON THE GROUND AND SHOW ME BACON

Oh please, what are you gonna do to me, huh?;):P

that was the voice of your soroirty sister,silly! I thought that was obvious.
mypoint about asking is that you did askDZ.com's advice. you asked for personal experiences on adecisoin you are about to make.

when you are in a sisterhood they will be your advice givers and if they fill the room with sheep then all you will hear is bah's and bleets echoed form one mouth to the other. here you will hear a variety of opinions!
My photos

My Videos

***I can assure you of one thing...noone will ever tell me what to believe or what I can or cannot do. I am my own person and joinging a sorority wouldn't change that..

I said "subtly" influence you, Daizey. Eveything and eveyone around us (friends/family/SO/etc.) has a tiny bit of influence on us and who we are as people. I never said that they'd be telling you what you can and cannot do, but you may feel it in more subtle ways.

As for finding freedom, isnt expanding the things you do in life exploring your freedom? Isnt getting to know more people in different environments going to help with this as well?

Of course, Daizey, but how is getting to know a certain group of people with very similar backgrounds the same thing? Not having any boundaries or cliques when making friendships seems like an easier way to meet more diverse groups of people.

skydiving is a great community, but there is more to life...that isnt meant to be offensive to anyone...it just means I want to experience a variety of things as well as a variety of people...amke sense?

I completely agree with that, of course. I am not even jumping right now, and I have not spent one weekend at the DZ since being grounded. I am glad that I have a life outside of skydiving. Everyone should unless they are happy sticking to just the skydiving, which is probably awesome for them, as well. It's a matter of personal choice.

Btw, like I said, Daizey, good luck with your choice. You should explore all options, of course, but you asked for our honest opinions, which is what you got. ;)

One more thing, whatever you decide to do, we'll love ya, anyway, little one! :)

fraternitys/sororities don't have a common goal. they're social clubs ... that's about it

they're enjoyable, you meet lots of people, and it's easier to find intersting things to do, especially if you go to a really small school. (my school was a tiny geeky school in a small touwn, so there's not that much to do.) in a large state school, things would be a bit different.

of course, almost everything you can get out of a fraternity/sorority you can get out of normal life, if you're outgoing enough. they just make it a lot easier.

but every one has a different vibe, every one has a different kind of people, the pledging is different ...they are all just small communities of people (just like the dz) ....
This ad space for sale.

Kristi, don't let anyone here or even me make this decision for you. Talk to the girls at school that are in other greek's and see what benifit they are getting out of them.

Don't worry, nobody but me will be making this decision:)
As for talking to other people on this campus...thats hard cause there arent many sororities on this campus...you've been here, youve seen what its like. And this particular sorority isnt like others either-its the first one like its kind on this campus....

*daizey*

Well, since I have lived around a college campus for 12 years, here is my point of view...

First off...I had five friends who joined a sorority...Only 2 stayed with it...One person said they quit because they hated having to spend so much time with the same people constantly...and hardly met anyone else...My other two friends found it financially hard and just not worth the time...which it is time consuming...

I was going to pledge, but decided that after breaking my ankle skydiving...I didn't want to do it after all...

You meet more diverse and interesting people through various clubs and organizations...and I have found that a lot of the girls I met while pledging were just lonely and missed the high school scene...I didn't...

Join some clubs...Or pledge and see how you like it...But, ask tons of questions and don't settle...

Also remember...:

When you join a sorority...you may gain the same reputation of the house...even if you are not like other girls...Just be careful of your choice...

I preferred meeting people who I worked with and met in clubs...they were much more open minded and friendly...

No matter what your decision:

Have fun!:)

~R+R:)...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

I said "subtly" influence you, Daizey. Eveything and eveyone around us (friends/family/SO/etc.) has a tiny bit of influence on us and who we are as people. I never said that they'd be telling you what you can and cannot do, but you may feel it in more subtle ways.

It will subtly influence you, but how is that a bad thing? It's not done intentionally or as brainwashing. But as you said, everything around you will influence you one way or another. Why not allow yourself to be subtly influenced by people with completely different tastes and backgrounds, while consciously realizing that it is happening? You'll become even more open-minded and will probably begin to appreciate things that you never would have even noticed before.
This ad space for sale.

Join some clubs...Or pledge and see how you like it...But, ask tons of questions and don't settle...
I preferred meeting people who I worked with and met in clubs...they were much more open minded and friendly...

I agree; join some clubs too .... you'll meet other cool people, and learn lots of things ... take up a position in a club you enjoy .... you'll never get another chance like this in your life.
This ad space for sale.

>fraternitys/sororities don't have a common goal. they're social clubs ... that's about it

I'd disagree with you fiercely on that. http://www.apo.org/ Alpha Phi Omega is already recruiting brothers and sisters to go to Flordia and assist on the rebuilding process during their winter and spring breaks. While the rest of your drunk college kids are going to be out partying it up on the beaches this Frat will be helping to rebuild Flordia.

Those Greeks with a goal, or at least a purpose beyond a social club are the ones you want on a resume for upper level management.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Fees arent as bad as i thought they'd be....from what i understand its $35-50 on this campus....are you referring to fees that include housing? There is no sorority house...on this campus, and there wont be one either.

One thing i do like about this particular sorority is it promotes diversity. It's a very well rounded group of people. So its really not a bunch of girls who are all the same and have the same beliefs and are exactly alike. It seems to be a really well-rounded group of girls....

*daizey*

I'd disagree with you fiercely on that. http://www.apo.org/ Alpha Phi Omega is already recruiting brothers and sisters to go to Flordia and assist on the rebuilding process during their winter and spring breaks. While the rest of your drunk college kids are going to be out partying it up on the beaches this Frat will be helping to rebuild Flordia.

That's different. I'm almost positive the one she's talking about is a social sorority. Service and honor fraternities are completely different. I shouldn't have said that all fraternities are socially-oriented, but the majority are. The one Daizey's referring to most likely is. They still do philanthropy and other services throughout the year but not to the extent APO.

Those Greeks with a goal, or at least a purpose beyond a social club are the ones you want on a resume for upper level management.

I agree. I don't list my fraternity on my resume. A social fraternity is just that: social. It might help you get a job, but by someone you know, not by what you did.
This ad space for sale.

Alpha Phi Omega is already recruiting brothers and sisters to go to Flordia and assist on the rebuilding process during their winter and spring breaks. While the rest of your drunk college kids are going to be out partying it up on the beaches this Frat will be helping to rebuild Flordia.

Those Greeks with a goal, or at least a purpose beyond a social club are the ones you want on a resume for upper level management

That's really awesome. This sorority is like that too...they promote community service around your area and elsewhere...its actually a part of the agreement when you join ...you are required to do so many hours each semester...that is one agreemement I will have no trouble making

*daizey*

That's really awesome. This sorority is like that too...they promote community service around your area and elsewhere...its actually a part of the agreement when you join ...you are required to do so many hours each semester...that is one agreemement I will have no trouble making

why do you hacve to join a sorority to do stuff in your community?
My photos

My Videos

the sorority/frat dues at my school were between $65 and $100 a month.

All figures listed below DO NOT include living in a house. Its just average dues and fees:

average sorority costs at UCSB:
Dues and National and One-Time Fees: $905

average sorority/fraternity costs at UNC:
Average cost of dues: $500 per semester ($1000 per year)

average sorority dues at Wofford College:
Average annual dues for the first year: $600-$800

University of Florida:
Average cost of a member living out of the house: Approx. $600 per semester ($1200 per year)

SDSU:
Dues and assessments for members of residential sororities who live out of the house total about $750 per semester. ($1500 per year!!!)

Kansas State:
Freshmen members live in residence halls and pay sorority dues of approximately $100 a month.

University of Alabama:
Approximate Cost of First Year: $783.00

Georgia Southern University:
$500 per semester ($1000 per year)

University of Oregon:
$575 per semester ($1150 per year)

Northern Arizona University:
$275 per semester ($550 a year)

Texas Tech:
Dues during the first semester range from $800 to $1100. The following semesters range from $350 to $600.

I dont, Ive never had any problem doing it myself without anyone telling me to and you know it.

All Im saying is that it's cool that they promote it...

ease up. i was just asking you a question.
yes it is cool that they promote it. it just seems to me that they may help your cause as easiliy as they may hinder it.

you should have a decent group of frineds that you work with already through cionnmuinty type stuff. try the sorority but i think you may find that the time cinsumption limis your ability to live you life as freely as you have.

have you been doing community stuff? what if they ask you do leave that behind and do what they wnat?

Your sit. is better b/c you can get in on the ground floor of the sorority and help form it the way you see fit. but one word of advice.

when strong minded people get togheter bureacracy tends to happen.[:/]
one person thinks their way is best and the other thinks the other way is better and things tend to get backed up and political.

be aware of how that works and you can head it off before it happens!
My photos

My Videos

If the sorority turns out to be service-oriented as you described, that actually sounds pretty cool!
I went to TCU where everybody (read *everybody*) was greek. It was pretty hard to not be greek there, but I managed.

Most Sororities schedule study time, and you have to keep your GPA up to keep your membership current.
I cant say it would be a bad thing to join a sorority.. sounds like its something that you want to do. You dont seem to be "lost" and looking to find your way.. I think you would be a good strong leader in a sorority and show the "lost" ones how to be themselves in a group.

Pro: You get to rent friends that aren't really true friends, only fair weather friends.

Cons: Sororities are fucking expensive, VERY expensive by the time you get done with buying new dresses for shit, all those damned t-shirts for all the functions and your dues.

I've known a few sorority girls during my time at A&M, on average the girls spent about $3k a year on dues and all the other bullshit! Oh, the one that I'm closest to had a severe family emergancy and withdrew from the sorority, then she was hospitalized due to a bad infection. How many of her sorority sisters that were her "close friends and like sisters" came to visit or to help her out? NONE NOT A FUCKING ONE OF THEM!

Sororities and Frats are fucking worthless.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Whats up Daizey,
The choice is yours and how comfortable you are with the girls. See if they have a formal rush at your school. Thats where you get the chance to meet all the sororities without knowing who they are. Then the last night they tell you which one they are and you get to choose based on the personalities of the group then their name. There are plenty of pros and cons to joining. I was in one for 3 year (president too-- shh don't let that out). I also played a sport for 2 years, so i was able to see boith sides.
I think it depends on the type of school and how big their greek system is. If its a school with a big greek system..that might be the way to go if you want to be more social on campus. As for helping with jobs, you make so many connections that can help you for a life time. Its that weird bond similar to skydivers. You both know what it took to get those letters or jump out of a plane. Also look at where you are going to school? Is jumping an option all year long or do you have to travel to other "warm climate" places to jump.
The cons...yes there is hazing (as much as they try to say they are a non hazing group) And yes do you put up with shit for a semester...of course if you want to. Check and make sure that they are recognized nationally and not locally. Thats is also a huge thing to consider when joining. Also they cost money. See how much dues are and what they include. It can easly run 300 a semester.
I say why not. Whats the worse thing that could happen, you quit? At least you try it and not live with the what if's.

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

a lot of negative on here and in a way its understandable. although i was never part of the greek system, a good friend of mine was and the networking he did and continues to do through his fraternity as he is traveling for his job has paid off for him more than i could have ever imagined. his contacts - the majority of whom he had never even met (frat ties) have propelled him to an executive position.