ShadowCount

Hitting the tail

>Would be interesting to know of any tail strikes from leveled off planes on jump run.

Raoul Gravell, around 2001/2002 in Cross Keys. Hit a King Air tail with his camera helmet IIRC when exiting on jump run.

I thought it was a Caravan. At least, I was in a Caravan at X-Keys (Roger Ponce event, right rear trail) when Raoul hit its tail.

Edited: Here is the link to the incident:
www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=568466#568466

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I disagree that students are being taught to jump up out of an Otter. At my dropzone they are being taught to jump sideways from inside the door and then arch, which when practiced on the ground, makes your head go up because there's ground in the way. On poised exits they are being taught to just let go and arch into the wind. I really doubt that there are people out there teaching students to put any upward thrust into their exits. I will admit, however, that I don't spend any time talking about tail strikes because it really isn't a concern in an Otter.

I had the initial training for otter exits. If you're kneeling in the door, oriented forward towards the props, and need to step up and out (and into the prop blast), it's hard to avoid an up component, esp for us taller folks. The King Air, with the curved fuselage, allowed me to stand a bit more upright, making it more of a sidestep for a forward viewing poised exit.

One other note - the count wasn't up - down - arch, but rather out - in - arch, which at least tries to suggest sideways, rather than up. It's just the door is so short.

Only if they do a floater track exit as pictured. That isn't really a "tends to". That 100% intentional.

OK, but since not every team does it that way, I submit "tends to" is accurate in the sense of the event overall. That particular picture (of me) was certainly a deliberate track exit from behind the diagonal line.

Only if they do a floater track exit as pictured. That isn't really a "tends to". That 100% intentional.

OK, but since not every team does it that way, I submit "tends to" is accurate in the sense of the event overall. That particular picture (of me) was certainly a deliberate track exit from behind the diagonal line.

By the way, does #3 have a little "contact" with that left hand? :)

By the way, does #3 have a little "contact" with that left hand? :)

Not a violation of current USPA 10-way speed rules:)

Food for thought (attached) :o.

It was an Otter with a high tail, not a King Air or Caravan.

Are there any incidents where a jumper without a wingsuit has hit the tail of an Otter from a level jump run?

As a videot wannabee...

How about launching from the camera step? I suppose its possible to hit the tail that way even on an Otter.

During a weather hold yesterday I took a good look at a King Air and an Otter. Measurements below are approx. and obviously depend on the exact location of the camera step:

King Air (low tail version): stab is 10 feet behind step, at roughly waist level if you're standing on the step.

Otter: stab is 12 feet behind the step, slightly above head level if standing on the step.

I think maybe Michael Jordan could hit the Otter tail from level flight, but I don't think mere mortals (wearing a rig) would manage it.