Smirniof

Digital Watch Altimeters

Hi,

I was just wondering. These digital watches that have an altimeter option. Are they reliable enough for skydiving? Watches like Casio Protrek Triple Sensor.

Thanks,
Mircea

I use to have a Suunto Vector and I had to re-zero it every time I got to the ground. Sometimes it would be off zero by as much as 200 feet or more. The accuracy may be "close enough" but nothing close to an actual digital skydiving altimeter.

My Core shows no more then 15 feet off zero every single time.
So I guess like all things, stuff gets better and better. (well, most of the time :P )

And I never seen analog one on 0 when you hit the ground.

But both work great, and both can go wrong or malfunction.

These digital watches that have an altimeter option. Are they reliable enough for skydiving? Watches like Casio Protrek Triple Sensor.

Would you wear your skydiving altimeter for hiking? No, it's too big.
Should you wear your watch altimeter for skydiving? No, it's too little.

Just to add to that, your altimeter gets carefully stored away in your gear bag. Except for the minor scrape or bang against a door it's pretty protected for most of its life. A watch on the other hand is beat around all day when you wear it. My opinion the chance of failure is much greater. However if any altimeter shows you have altitude to spare but you can see the specator's pupils you'd better pull!

-Michael

If you "hit" the ground you are not doing it right.

Can you come up with one good reason to wear a watch instead of an altimeter build for the job?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Can you come up with one good reason to wear a watch instead of an altimeter build for the job?

Sparky

You made me :D:D

They are obvious some reason against and some for. I'm just saying that its an option that cannot be excluded.

Sparky

They are obvious some reason against and some for. I'm just saying that its an option that cannot be excluded.

Tying 2500' of fishing line with a window weight on one end and a slip knot around your scrotum at the other ~&~ pullin' when it quits hurtin', is also an option.

...But like Sparky mentioned, there are better ones. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Sparky

They are obvious some reason against and some for. I'm just saying that its an option that cannot should be excluded.

I fixed it for you.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

How close to your face does the watch have to be for you to read the altitude display?

What's that going to do to your flying skills if you constantly have to bring one arm in to your face to check your altitude?

An altimeter should be big enough to read at full arm's length.

How close to your face does the watch have to be for you to read the altitude display?

What's that going to do to your flying skills if you constantly have to bring one arm in to your face to check your altitude?

An altimeter should be big enough to read at full arm's length.

Yeah...and at MY age, I need longer arms! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Sparky

Tying 2500' of fishing line with a window weight on one end and a slip knot around your scrotum at the other ~&~ pullin' when it quits hurtin', is also an option.

...But like Sparky mentioned, there are better ones. ;)

:D:D:D I just about spit my water all over my computer.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I once had someone warn me during a dirt dive not to put my hand over his watch when I docked, because he'd had it happen before and couldn't see his alti. Sure enough, I did exactly that. I did not do it intentionally - it's just not something I'm normally thinking about in freefall, the watch is in exactly the spot where I normally take a grip, and since I'm not normally looking directly at someone's wrist when taking a grip, I didn't even see it. I didn't even know I'd done it until he complained after the jump.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg