Rebecca

Fitness people! How to minimize soreness from a workout?

Hey you fitness freaks! I wanna be one too, so I've joined a gym.

I have my first trainer session this evening, and want to know, aside from drinking plenty of water and stretching, is there anything I can do to minimize what will surely be a lot of pain tomorrow?

I'm fat and flabby and now that I've quit smoking for a year, it's time to get in shape!!

You are going to have soreness. After you start noticing some gains, your attitude about the soreness will actually change (you'll start to get worried when you aren't sore when you think you should be). Trust me on that one.

The best way to change your body shape is weight training, NOT aerobics. Fuck the Yoga. Screw Pilates... all of that. Yes, even a woman needs freeweights and a bench.

There are many different workout plans that will work for your body type. You could do Body-For-Live (5-day, intense weight training every other day, cardio inbetween), or you can put a 8-10 minute cardio session before you start to workout with weights for 35-60 minutes.

When you go to the gym, pick just two muscle groups you want to exercise. Do 3-4 exercises for that group of 3 sets for each exercise, 6-8 repetitions in each set. Don't skimp on the weight. Use the most weight that will still allow you to complete the exercise with good form.

The thighs and the abs are the areas women complain about most frequently. But, you can't "spot train" that area to get your tummy size to shrink. It's not going to happen. You need to put on muscle. Why? Because muscle requires more calories to maintain than fat does. The more muscle you have on you, the more energy your body needs and the amount of fat that you do have will decrease.

Will you look like Xena doing weight training? Hardly. If you keep it up you will change your figure, become slender, and get that six pack:)

So get to it, and post pictures of your progress so we can all oogle!!! :P

CONSISTENCY rebecca... The most important of
necesities... well not the most important, but its
high up on the list. The more you do it the less
soreness you feel. Personally I love it, last only
for so long, and makes for some intense massages
:). Anywayz, get some good motivation
going and stick with it. You'll be amazed at what
you can accomplish. The first time you say to
yourself you'd rather take a day off or you don't
feel like doing whatever it is that you think you need
your f*cked... But by looking at you avatar I'd say
that your not in any real emergency.. ;)

P.S. a) ===== DON'T OVERWORK yourself! =======

b) get a good 5-10 minute stretch session going
on before any kind of workout.

c) Don't disrupt eating habits... mebbe a lil bit.
but ONLY!!! sometimes.

d) become familiar with your body... (Get naked
in the mirror, it'll feels silly but whoever is
watching, let them watch... Even though nobody
is watching... I HOPE!!! )

**) what I mean by don't overwork youself -
push your limits... hard! but don't put up
something just to see if you could.. (hurt
youself that way). Be comfortable but KNOW
your making your muscles work.

PM me if you don't understand some stuff, or you
want someone to goto for some motivation...
I'll help you out... It's what I do ;) (helping people
that is)

"'Someday is not a day in my week'"

Do 3-4 exercises for that group of 3 sets for each exercise, 6-8 repetitions in each set. Don't skimp on the weight. Use the most weight that will still allow you to complete the exercise with good form.

Depending on what you want your body to do... No one workout is good for all people. We would change it up every few weeks or so depending on my goals and how my body was responding. Sometimes fewer sets, heavier weights, and sometimes many sets and lighter weights.

Pilates and yoga are actually great. It helps with flexibility and also lengthens your muscles. You can get pretty strong depending on the type of yoga you do. It's also good for the soul. ;) I find I get the best workouts using my own body weight actually.

Creatine is great for reducing muscle soreness. Ask for it at your local GNC store. However......the old stuff I used to use made me retain about 6-8 lbs of water. It infuses the extra water into your muscles which dilutes the lactic acid that causes soreness. I have heard that newer creatine formulas do the same thing without as much water retention. I used it regularly for 2 years and noticed a HUGE difference. It allowed me to lift heavier weight and not be as sore. The water retention was ROUGH on my cardio capacity though. Anyway.........here's a link that explains more about it. ;)

www.creatinemonohydrate.net/creatineinformation.html

Glucosamine is actually more effective than creatine for reducing soreness and it also lubes your joints. It should be taken immediately after a workout. One big plus for women: it won't cause that much water retention (creatine does) and you can get it in forms that taste good.

On creatine dosing... don't get any liquid form, there's not enough dosage there in most liquid creatine mixtures that amount to any use. You have to buy the gritty white talcum powder stuff and "hide" it in something you throw in the blender. Creatine is also best used in cycles. Lay off of it after a few months after you've noticed significant strength gains. I've broken a lot of weightlifting plateaus simply by going back on the loading phase of creatine when I've hit a skid.

Just remember that if you have some fat over your ab muscles, you're never going to see them if you keep the fat. You gotta lose that too! Trust me, I'm working on that too right now and am following The Abs Diet. It's hard work! (Where's the crying/whining icon when you need it? :S)

Just looked that up after you mentioned it. It looks pretty decent. Is it working for you? I'm taking weight training, as well as personal defense so I get a good work out two days a week. Unfortunately I haven't been able to slip in a workout the other days, except Saturday when I jump. (out landings :). haha j/k Actually I am sore after three jumps this weekend - I typically only do one) Anyway just wondering how you're doing with this plan... I may have to pick up a copy and try it out myself.
~skysprite

Just looked that up after you mentioned it. It looks pretty decent. Is it working for you?

It has made a difference in my life and body, although not as quickly as I would have liked. I'm not as strict about it as I'm supposed to be. I haven't cut out alcohol to 2 drinks a week and I'm averaging workouts about 4 times a week instead of 6. So, I haven't lost weight, but I've definitely gained muscle that could be the cause. People have commented that they can tell I've toned up and my clothes are fitting a little differently.

The "diet" is pretty easy to follow if you plan ahead. The 12 power foods are good eating and eating 6 small meals a day makes it so I'm never hungry. Cutting out a lot of sugar has really made a difference in how I feel throughout the day. A friend of mine is also following it and he feels much better also. My mom knows someone at her work her lost 30 pounds on the diet. I made the spaghetti that's in the book that includes whole wheat pasta, no sugar sauce and added vegetables. My kids said it was the best spaghetti they ever had! I'm definitely going to keep plugging along on it and it's a change of eating that I could live with which is also much healthier for me.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

This is an interesting thread....

First, I was a personal trainer for 2 years (Gold's Gym & Bally's). I held two certifications, not a degree. That is important information. Side note: Could be related to skydiving. Everyone here on dz.com's first statement when a newbie (like me) asks a question is do what your instructor/ask your instructor etc....I believe you should do the same with fitness (once you find out who your dealing with)

During your first visit with your trainer he/she should sit down with you and chat for a while. Things that should be discussed are your current lifestyle, nutritional habits, past training experience, self assessed level of fitness. But probably the most important thing that you should discuss is your trainer's level of knowledge. Do not just assume they know what they are talking about just because they are wearing a polo that says "Personal Trainer". There are many gyms that will hire an individual and do a "house certification" and call them a personal trainer. Find out their education. Do they have a degree in one of the fields (Exercise Science, Athletic Training, etc...), if not, what certifications do they hold, and for how long? Do your homework on this if it matters to you. Did they get an ACE certification by mail, or did they go to a seminar with practicals in the gym along with academics (ex: ISSA- International Sports Sciences Association).

Everyone (as you can see in this thread) has an opinion on how to train, as we all will with everything. Personally, while I value everyone's opinion I also do my own homework and try to educate myself too. Some information in this thread is inaccurate, but since I'm not current as a trainer anymore I won't comment.

All I'm saying (keeping the attacks at bay here) is while it's valuable to ask questions in a forum like this, to me its more important to educate yourself before you go work with a trainer.

Hope this didn't come across in a bad way, not my intention at all. I've just watched, and listened to people for a while now (not specifically in this thread but in general) talk with no creditabilty, or knowledge and its frustrating to watch them pass poor and inaccurate information on to people just starting.

Good luck with your training!

i have found that those two days of soreness can be somewhat alleviated by

1. slowly stretching the sore areas for at least 5-10 miutes before and after you work out again

2. sit in the sauna or hot tub after working out at the gym

3. a nice massage can feel really good too -- nothing too hard but more relaxing and loosening of the muscles

plus if you are really sore, at first work those muscles every other day so that you dont overdo your workout.

but what a great feeling it is to be sore -- means the muscles are getting worked at!!

Pre and post workout stretching will help alleviate some soreness. Don't take it too hard at first. If your trainer is worth anything he or she isn't going to kill you the first week.

B|
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Like every one else Water and Stretching. But if you push yourself to do that extra bench or sit up, ect. you will most likely feel it the next day. There is this great stuff called Quinine, it is homeopathic and it helps with soreness. best stuff in the entire world. You can get it at the Natural and Health food store.
I always feel the best the day after I work out.
Good Luck !!
Garbage bags do not make good parachutes.

Hey y'all!

Thank you all so much for your suggestions - this will be a reference thread for me in my ongoing fitness quest.

Angela, thanks for asking - it was actually pretty easy, which is fine for the very beginning. So, I'm not really sore today. I stretched out, warmed up, cooled off, drank water, drank milk, ate a relatively healthy meal, and got a good night's sleep.

I'm feeling perty good about myself, just for having gotten off my laurels and pumped a bit.

Oh, and to those who were recommending it - I am pursuing a course of weight training combined with machine cardio, and pilates/kickboxing when they're offered. I'm gonna get me some sexssssy arms and shoulders to go with the abs! B|

Thanks again y'all!

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Oh, and to those who were recommending it - I am pursuing a course of weight training combined with machine cardio, and pilates/kickboxing when they're offered. I'm gonna get me some sexssssy arms and shoulders to go with the abs!

Congrads on your new life, Rebecca! I am going to wake up for Pilates.. I am going to wake up for Pilates...(repeating to myself)! :D I'm with ya, i'm done with this tummy chub! :P

Angela.