christoofar

Last Day as a Texan

Well, I guess I give up my "Texas citizenship" today. Kinda nervous. I've spent so many years in South and "Deep South Texas", which everyone knows it's really just Mexico but on the map it says it's in the United States. :P

I think when I was in Philly looking for apartments I may... *may* have seen one honest-to-God Mexican citizen amongst the sea of Puerto Ricans and other immigrants in the neighborhoods up there.

I dunno how I will survive. No one speaks TexMex up there. You can't just wake up Saturday morning and go to Las Palapas for your breakfast taco fix. And WTF is "scrapple?" People eat pancakes and waffles and shit??! What kind of civilazation can go around eating things that aren't dunked in Tabasco sauce and no bounty of fresh pico by the bucket at H-E-B? [:/]

I'm frightened of the tortillas they got up there. :S I think I'll just bust out my rolling pin and make my own like I used to before you could buy them at the 'sto.

Oh Jesus and I forgot about Christmas. :o I already called my mother and she's going to dry-ice my Christmas tamales for me and have them shipped up north.

I think I'll be the only white person in Pennsylvania who is actually afriad of the Chupacabara. :S

:D

THAT was absolutely hysterical. . .

I totally feel for you man. . .that is just going to be tough. . .you can make it though, ya get by. . .learn how to cook the stuff yourself. . .

And STAY AWAY FROM THE PANCAKES AND WAFFLES. Oh, and if you have trouble finding habanero chili's up there for killer hotsauce, just IM me. . .or anyone else down here in the southwest. . .lol
FGF #6
Darcy

I know the feeling! About 2 months ago I moved from Southern California to the Northeast, and it's totally different up here. Forget good Mexican food; if you want it you'll be making it yourself. They do have a food up here that resembles tacos & burritos, but "resembles" is the key word. And make sure you bring your winter clothes because it's starting to get VERY cold. Yesterday I came to work wearing a turtleneck & sweater and everyone laughed at me & said I was in for a rude awakening if I think that it's cold now. And the biggest kicker of all for me.... you can't buy beer in CT after 8pm or on Sundays. What the *^%$ is that all about? Tomorrow I'm going back to Elsinore for the first time since I left and I've never been so excited to wear a short sleeve shirt, buy beer at 9pm, and eat good Mexican food. B|
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.

YUM, Mexican food at the Mayor's place in Perris. OK, I'm ready for a road trip.

While I'm there can we do sushi and a winery just for giggles? Oh, and can I ride on Bill's bike, play in the pool and see a sunset at Lake Perris? Maybe do an new coaster too?

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

We live in Philly. Can we help? :)
Philly has great food. Trust me, just the smell of scrapple or a cheeseteak would make me gag - Philly has blown away the stereotype for me.

But you're right, my husband is from Texas and can attest to no true texas mex. But there is a pretty awesome burrito place (yes, they're mexican) on 12th street.

And I can point you to 2 amazing thai places (yes, they're thai, not korean). Or 4 awesome sushi places. A couple of yummy middle eastern restaurants... (All within 2 square miles!)

Seriously, feel free to get in touch if you need to know which block to stay away from (5th and Carpenter or anywhere in Olde City on 1st friday) or where to hang out to find the hottest girls or guys (Rittenhouse Square across from the HQ to Urban Outfitter and Anthropologie).

Welcome to Philly! :)
(And Crosskeys?)

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

I have been a texas citizen for 20 years. I just got out of the Air Force here in Colorado. I got a speeding ticket on Monday, and the cop told me I need to go and get a Colorado Drivers Liscense. I hate it here in Colorado, and I don't want to surrender my Texan citizenship! I am truly saddened as to our situations. Yes you are correct about the food!!! You cannot get good Bar-B-Que here either! Colorado Sucks ASS!

But you're right, my husband is from Texas and can attest to no true texas mex. But there is a pretty awesome burrito place (yes, they're mexican) on 12th street.

That's AWESOME! I'll be on 13th and Chestnut across from Lord 'n Taylor!

Godspeed and safe journey, Chris!

Here's something to look forward to: $100 Philly Cheesesteak

made with Kobe beef, melted Taleggio cheese, shaved truffles, sauteed foie gras, caramelized onions and heirloom shaved tomatoes on a homemade brioche roll bushed with truffle butter and squirted with homemade mustard, is served with a small bottle of champagne

Mmm Mmm Good!!

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Woot I the entire IQ of Texas will raise by 8 points once you're gone ;);)

Seriously, good luck on the new adventure Chris B|

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

You just made me even more homesick for Texas with that post. :(

At least Southern California has good Mexican food, but the BBQ here is just wrong. I sometimes have brisket shipped to me from the County Line just so I can get a fix. ;) And I forgot about the Chupacabra - don't think I've heard anyone mention that out here. :D

Have a safe trip, and I hope you can learn to love scrapple (whatever it is)! :P

Oh, and have your mom send ME some Christmas tamales too!

Since TexMex food does not actually exist outside of Bexar County ( really not even outside of 410 ) we might be able to send you a c.a.r.e package every so often.

If we manage to catch one we'll even send you up a chupacabra. Just promise to take care of him and don't let em get away. It might frighten the yankees.On the other hand he might fit right in in Philly.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

You just made me even more homesick for Texas with that post. :(

Me too, Keely.. and to make it worse, four of my co-workers are working in Austin and SA this week and next week, and where am I?? Not there! I have been growling at my manager every time I see her.. she knows to send ME to TX! >:(

Chris is going to miss Texas when he gets to Philly for sure.. and theres no such thing as "Last Day as a Texan".

Anyone up for drinks at The Oasis?

Anyone up for drinks at The Oasis?

OH.... you're making it worse!

I miss Lake Travis! Especially Hippie Hollow. :$

There are a lot of neat things about Cali, but it's just not home! I'm gonna go put on my little red sparkly shoes and click my heels!

Actually, we have been kicking around the idea of moving to Austin. Rich mostly telecommutes anyway, and I could probably transfer pretty easily... And houses are pretty cheap there right now... Hmm, maybe after this semester is over... ;) Rich has only been to Austin once with me, but he really liked it - said it reminded him a lot of Melbourne, which is where he is from.

And you're right about "no such thing as Last Day as a Texan"... Christopher will be back. ;)

Since TexMex food does not actually exist outside of Bexar County ( really not even outside of 410 ) we might be able to send you a c.a.r.e package every so often.

If we manage to catch one we'll even send you up a chupacabra. Just promise to take care of him and don't let em get away. It might frighten the yankees.On the other hand he might fit right in in Philly.

Oh, I dunno... Floore's (sp?) Country Store has pretty good tamales... too damn bad they ruined it by renovating it for 8 Seconds

But of course, inside 1604 (but outside of 410) you have places like:
Jacala's
Suki's Taco House
etc.....
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706