ZigZagMarquis

How much ZP does it take to make a canopy

Any of y'all uber-smart master riggers out there and/or any of y'all that have worked for a mfgr have any idea how much ZP (yardage) it takes to make a canopy?

Obviously, the bigger or smaller the canopy is or the design (rectangular vs. elliptical, cross-braced, etc.), the more or less raw material it will take, but is there any rule of thumb... i.e. "X" yardage of raw material per sq ft of finished canopy?

Any of y'all uber-smart master riggers out there and/or any of y'all that have worked for a mfgr have any idea how much ZP (yardage) it takes to make a canopy?

This should make all riggers flock to this thread just to give you an answer. What could possibly go wrong?
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

For a 150, it seems like the top and bottom skins are 150 sq ft each, and the ribs and end panels are probably more than 150 sq ft., maybe 175?

So add in seam allowance, and overage for laying out the patterns and such, so maybe 550 sq ft? 600?

I'm willing to bet Brian Germain knows the answer.

For a 150, it seems like the top and bottom skins are 150 sq ft each, and the ribs and end panels are probably more than 150 sq ft., maybe 175?

So add in seam allowance, and overage for laying out the patterns and such, so maybe 550 sq ft? 600?

I'm willing to bet Brian Germain knows the answer.

I doesn't come in pre-cut widths though, and there is a lot of 'waste' in the form of material cut from the bat that won't fit anywhere....and don't forget about the cells (7-9-21-27) & slider.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If you are thinking of building your own canopy might I suggest? Buy 2 or 3 yards of material, cut it into 2 foot by 2 foot squares. Start sewing them together and keep at it until you have your own little hair ball made of ZP. Shouldn’t take too long. They throw the shit in the trash, by then the urge will have gone away.:P

Sparky

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Make my own canopy!!??! :o

Have you gone off your rocker there, Sparky?? :P

No, I was just trying to cyper out the amount of $$ just in raw materials, and I mean just the ZP, included in the price of a canopy. Oh and I figured (wondered) if mfgr's pay somewhat less or a lot less for ZP than one does by the yard from Para Gear.

Oh and I figured (wondered) if mfgr's pay somewhat less or a lot less for ZP than one does by the yard from Para Gear.

No, they pay the same. :)

Sparky

..............................................................................................

Para-Gear does offer bulk discounts, but only the largest of canopy manufactures buy their fabric - by the bolt - directly from fabric brokers.
Back in the 1980s, I remember Para-Flite bragging that they had first refusal on F-111 fabric.

If you are thinking of building your own canopy might I suggest? Buy 2 or 3 yards of material, cut it into 2 foot by 2 foot squares. Start sewing them together and keep at it until you have your own little hair ball made of ZP. Shouldn’t take too long. They throw the shit in the trash, by then the urge will have gone away.:P

Sparky

............................................................................................

That reminds me of sewing my own kit parachutes back in the 1980s. Lone Star/Para Kit claimed that you should be able to sew your own parachute in 40 hours.
Hah!
I probably spent 40 hours reading the manual!
I did not save any time or money, but did accomplish my primary goal which was to satisfy my curiosity about how canopies are made.

In conclusion, sewing canopies requires far more time and patience than the average skydiver has.

A fast and easy calculation would be the following for a 150 square feet 9 cell canopy for instance:

1) top skin = 150 sq.f
2) bottom skin = 150 sq.f
3) ribs : (9 x 2) + 1 = 19 ribs, 19 ribs x (8 x 1.5) = 228 sq.f

subtotal = 528 sq.f
Total = 528 sq.f + 20% = 634 sq.f (note: 20 % for the seams + nose + stabilizers)
For other dimensions and number of cells, adjust accordindly
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Hi Andre',

Your calculations don't work.

1. You have to buy the bolt of materials in the width that they come in. Therefore, you will be buying the length of the top skin & the length of the bottom skin in bolt width. As bolt width varies by mfr & product(s) you might need nearly twice your calcs for the top & bottom skins.

This is the real reason why Para-Flite came out with their cross-span mfg method; only to save on material waste.

2. You can nest the ribs because they taper; put one as you see it & the other upside-down, as close as possible.

Without knowing some sizes for Zig-Zag it it hard to get to an accurate figure.

For generalizing, your numbers are 'in the ball-park.'

Been there, done it.

JerryBaumchen

Jerry,

That’s why I told him 350 yards or 11 yards. Too many variables to tell without a lot more details. And even then it would be tough until you make your working patterns and do a layout with the bold size you will be working with.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Jerry,

That’s why I told him 350 yards or 11 yards. Too many variables to tell without a lot more details. And even then it would be tough until you make your working patterns and do a layout with the bold size you will be working with.

Sparky

:|

And that's why I said...

...Obviously, the bigger or smaller the canopy is or the design (rectangular vs. elliptical, cross-braced, etc.), the more or less raw material it will take...

I understand though, its tough sometimes to read / listen and understand though before spouting off... I suffer from the same handicap. :P;):):D

Anyway, I was just wondering if there was a rule of thumb.

Sounds like there is not.

I suppose its a "black art" only known to mfgr's...

... kinda like coming up with pack-volume.

:S:D

Would some kindly moderator please lock this thread?

1) top skin = 150 sq.f
2) bottom skin = 150 sq.f
3) ribs : (9 x 2) + 1 = 19 ribs, 19 ribs x (8 x 1.5) = 228 sq.f

I find it interesting that the ribs require 150% more material than the top or bottom skin. I tend to think that the ribs are less than the outside surface. I wouldn't have guessed this opposite effect, but never sat down and ran the numbers like that before.