funks

Why would a skydiver not pack his own rig?

But for now i AM the packer for those that can afford one.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
...and a darn busy one too! i was going ot treat myself to a packer for the first time ever while visiting sdc, but every time i came in you had 4 rigs lined up already..

Well i guess you'll just have to come back sometime and see me again. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

So the question is not, "Why would someone use a packer..." The question is "Why wouldnt you tip your packer"

Every packer will disagree with me but I'm sorry, you are paid very well for the 7 minutes of work you do. I do not tip packers and using the I change your closing loop and rubber bands doesn't wash with me. Changing my rubber bands after you break em being fast and changing my closing loop when you rip your packing tool through it is part of the job too. But seriously, keeping me on the load is why you are my packer.

~Chachi

If she doesn't pack it, a trusted packer will.

Now wait there a minute big guy. I packed your rig once. Are you saying I'm a trusted packer:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I don't pack cuz I only learned it once to get my license and I don't remember how....

Then I decided to wait to learn again until I got my own rig....

Now it's cuz the weather's been too nice to take time out of the day from jumping to learn to pack again...

Wonder what my excuse will be this winter...too cold to pack?

I intend to eventually learn, but Sunny has just been irresistable ;)

Well behaved women rarely make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

I don't see a riggers ticket in your profile. How is your reserve packed if you won't trust anyone to pack it, but you are not a rigger????

dude..this thread is obviously about using packers to pack your main...where did i lose you bro?

I don't pack cuz I only learned it once to get my license and I don't remember how....

Then I decided to wait to learn again until I got my own rig....

Now it's cuz the weather's been too nice to take time out of the day from jumping to learn to pack again...

Wonder what my excuse will be this winter...too cold to pack?

I intend to eventually learn, but Sunny has just been irresistable ;)

WTF… Seriously, I mean this in the most…constructive…way…possible. This is seriously pathetic and inexcusable. No one should progress to being a licensed skydiver without learning to pack their own main parachute proficiently. Again…no offense intended. :)

Out of 350 jumps i packed my chute one time, to pass the test. I never wanted to do it, pay a packer.

it must really suck for you when there are no packers available or you go to a new DZ and dont know any of the packers.

I think it's weak......
Very weak. [:/]

Out of 350 jumps i packed my chute one time, to pass the test. I never wanted to do it, pay a packer.

it must really suck for you when there are no packers available or you go to a new DZ and dont know any of the packers.

I think it's weak......
Very weak. [:/]

I think your jealous you don't pay have the $$ to just include packer in the cost of your jumps.

I think critisizing people choice to pack themselves or not is weak, lame, or any other word you want to call it. FYI I pack for myself usually but who are we to call someones choice weak. Their money, their choice.

~Chachi

Reasons I use a packer most of the time (and yes I can pro and psycho pack just fine):

1. I used to rent gear and wanted to get on as many loads as possible w/a half-day rental.
2. Lazy.
3. Because I can afford it and packers are there to make money.
4. New canopies are a pain to bag.

My new-to-me Safire is really easy to bag, so I can't use that excuse anymore, esp since I put in a lot of time practicing. If there are packers available, I use them... if not, I pack my own sh1t.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I think critisizing people choice to pack themselves or not is weak, lame, or any other word you want to call it. FYI I pack for myself usually but who are we to call someones choice weak. Their money, their choice.

Agreed. It's really no different than not knowing how to change oil on my car. I drive the car but have no clue how to maintain it so i pay someone else to do it.

Agreed. It's really no different than not knowing how to change oil on my car.

Not sure about that. You don't need to know how to change your oil to get your drivers licence but you should know how to pack a parachute before you obtain your skydive licence. You are putting your cars life in the mechanics hands to a certain degree when you allow them to change the oil for you. You are putting your life in the packers hands to a certain degree when you allow them to pack for you.

Most importantly, if the oil change sucked and your car pisses out it's crude on the highway, you get a warning light and you pull over... no such luck with the packers mistakes... you gotsta deal with 'em in real time.

Not critisising those that use packers (I pack for myself), but peeps with many jumps that don't know how to pack... laughable.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

By not packing for myself, I'm actually helping the skydiving community flourish. I jump more because I don't pack, and I help others by giving money for their services so that they can afford to jump more. Keeping my money to myself would just be selfish and greedy. I don't need that money for anything. I'm not materialistic, so I feel like I should help others around me.

;)
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

By not packing for myself, I'm actually helping the skydiving community flourish. I jump more because I don't pack, and I help others by giving money for their services so that they can afford to jump more. Keeping my money to myself would just be selfish and greedy. I don't need that money for anything. I'm not materialistic, so I feel like I should help others around me.

It's got nothing to do with how you enjoy taking naps while i'm busy packing for you....:P