Rebecca

Have you had hives before?

I hadn't until last night. It started as an itch and a welt on my hand that I assumed was a bug bite. Then my wrist and forearm developed angry red welts and itched, then the other hand, wrist and forearm, then knees, thighs, neck, scalp - nothing on my chest and tummy though.

Now, over 12 hours later, my arms and hands are splotchy red, and my neck, ears and scalp itch like a mofo.

I've been told it's stress, though I didn't think I was experiencing stress, and I haven't come into contact with anything allergenic that I know of... I took an Alavert, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I've also dabbed a Benadryl stick on the worst welts.

This sucks! I want to rip my skin off!

Anyone have any stories or suggestions for easing the itch and getting rid of this?

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I hate to say it but go to the doctor. Only time I ever had them I was having an allergic reaction to an antibiotic I'd taken several times in the past with no problems. They gave me a steriod shot and pills, which cleared everything up in a day or so.
Fly it like you stole it!

Try taking benedryl tablets. They always work for me whenever I get an allergic reaction.

I had never had an allergic reaction until several years ago in florida when I got bit by a bunch of ants. I had been bit by ants before, even the ones in florida without reaction. For some reason however at that time I became allergic to ant bites and I have been ever since. It's weird how allergies just seem to 'develop'

I used to get hives all the time as a kid. I'm pretty much deathly allergic to cats (and to a lesser degree dogs) and I would get hives if I pet them or let a dog lick me and didn't wash my hands pretty soon thereafter.

We went to the doctor the first few times it happened and they gave me some sort of shot that worked pretty quickly, but after a few times just treated it with Benadryl or something similar. Not long after that I finally realized that if I just washed my hands (or avoided them altogether) I wouldn't get hives in the first place.
Killing threads since 2004.

Thanks for the sympathy and advice, everyone! The itching has subsided a bit on my arms and legs and scalp, and moved to my chin and tummy. :S

I've been keeping a cold pack on the bad spots and it's not nearly as awful as it was earlier - I'm actually able to keep from scratching.

I'm not on antibiotics or anything new, and I didn't go anywhere, or roll around in strange plants yesterday, so I'm thinking it may just be stress.

I'll give my doc a call in a sec and see what he thinks...

Thanks again!

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I break out into hives when I drink every once in a while. It mostly happens when drinking rum. If the first drink is too stiff, oops, there they go. It looks like someone has grabbed me around my neck and tried to strangle me. Benadryl tablets usually help.

If it's stress, I think you should come jump this weekend, it will do wonders for relieving it. Plus, we haven't seen you in a while and everyone will be there for the Halloween Boogie.

Smiles!
Kim
Blue Skies!!!
Kimmy

Ha! You registered the day I quit smoking!

Perhaps you will see me there - weekend plans are still in the making...

I have Benadryl at home. It usually knocks me out, so I don't take it if I have something I have to do, like work. I'll take it tonight before bed, after the eclipse. Blood on the moon, anyone? >:(

It's weird. It gets better for a bit and then the itch "moves". Now, my fingers are red, puffy and itchy, but my arms are much better. It's like my body is sabotaging me. [:/]

Yeah, I had an allergic reaction to sulfa. I had hives from head to toe, literally :(

Well, that's me right now. [:/]

I figured this was just a temporary reaction of some sort, so I took my Benadryl before bed, and thought I'd be better this morning.

Nope. Now I can add swelling and pain to the itching, as well as a few more previously unaffected areas. Glory. I just got back from the doc's, where I got a cortizone shot (ouch!), and a Rx for steroids.

This is just so bizarre. I can't think of one single thing I could have done, eaten, or touched to have caused this. My fingers look like sausages. :(

Thanks for all the sympathy you guys have given me - it does help, as does the whining and moaning, so thanks for that too. :)