dtpilot

Suicide Awareness???

Im starting to wonder about the military and its outlook on skydivers...

Im a Air Force Guardsman and of course we have to serve our one weekend a month and each of those weekends are full of training. Well anyways today Im at work at the base on a friday...wonder way? we usually dont come into work on friday. Well I just found out that I have to attend a suicide awareness class at 0900. Guys that work with me are giving me a hard time because I am 1 out of 5 for the entire base that have to go to the class... Little weird Im thinking.

So, What does everyone think about this... is skydiving suicidal?

You spend up to $5000 on gear, at least a week on basic training, $1000 on that training, 20 minutes packing and 5 minutes gearing up and checking our gear. You then spend time visualising and practicing emergency procedures you're only likely to use once every few hundred jumps.

You wear two parachutes in case one fails - each with 70 years worth of D&T in them - in a state of the art rig designed with safety at the foremost. You have a computer in your rig that electronically measures your rate of descent and altitude and triggers an explosive charge to activate your parachute in case of emergency.

You might wear up to 3 different altitude-measuring devices - one visual and two audible just in case one fails. You'd wear more if you could make em fit.

You deploy your main parachute 3000ft before necessary just in case it fails - even though this is unlikely. You do all this at a place where your safety is cared for by professionals with years of experiance.

Everything you do in the sport is regulated by both governmental and non-governmental bodies and you have to be licensed before you can do it.

And they think you're suicidal???? :S

And they think you're suicidal????

Well he did join the air force!

>:(:P:P

I'm willing to bet he's going b/c of skydiving but once the facts are laid out, it'll be straightened out. Maybe the director of the suicide class will write a letter to his/her boss to send to Dt's boss, etc.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I doubt the class was directed at you because you're a skydiver as much as it was because you were available. I remember when these little class McNuggets were mandated and someone had to go because it was a directive that "X" number had to attend to fullill and the compliance report could be sent upstairs and everyone felt better.

When the Captain told me I had to attend the 3 day "Public Affairs" class, I asked him, "Sir, do I even look like the Public Affairs type?"
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I doubt it has anything to do with you being a skydiver and more to do with the fact that someone somewhere saw a box that required checking and signed you up.

Suicide is one of the most common causes of death in the military... and so in order to help reduce it they have everyone go through training once a year...

I would agree with everyone else here that most skydivers seem to have a sincere love of life (and perhaps more so... a love of living life to its fullest...)

Just try to learn from it.

Scott

I believe most of the stats are age specific too... which might help explain it...

When the Captain told me I had to attend the 3 day "Public Affairs" class, I asked him, "Sir, do I even look like the Public Affairs type?"

You would make a kick ass "Public Affairs" type. Your presents demands respect and attention. Then once you start to speak about a topic, what is coming out of your mouth makes sense.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Thanks for the compliment, Mar. In a classroom setting, I am very comfortable. During presentations where I've had time to prepare, I do well. My concern was with the media and that certain flaw I have of missing that special filter between my brain and my yap when asked a stupid question. ;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

triggers an explosive charge

Is that true? I thought it was a little guillotine that cut your reserve closing loop. If there were an explosive charge you wouldn't be able to take it on a commercial flight. The reserve is spring loaded, is that what you meant?
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

Just a thought....step back and take a look...are you one of those people that talks to everyone, that seems to be upbeat and happy?

Most of the time the Suicide Awareness things are for those people they think may have the ability to help and intervine in a situation where someone may be suicidal. So they teach you the signs of someone that may infact be suicidal and give you the information to try and help.

Now having said that, there is no guarentee that you will always see those signs, but it is an attempt to help.

Personally I dont think they are sending you because you are "suicidal" but more because you have the abilty to enjoy life, and maybe help someone.

I could be way off base here, just my .02.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

The class was a bit boring... Turned Out I was one of the lucky ###s just like a piss test. Did I say it was boring.

They identified how to tell if someone was going to commit suicide and so on...

Kind of funny but one of the ways to tell if someone is thinking of suicide is getting you affairs in order. So all you military types out there. Im watching you for suicide. Also loss of interest in your hobbies and just plain losing interest could be a sign of suicidal tendencies. So if you are thinking of quiting skydiving that would be a suicidal idea :ph34r:

Anyways Skydiving to me is not suicidal...I have 2 parachutes...if I wanted to commit suicide I would jump with a rocket!![:/]

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Flyangel whispering to upndownshop; go to Edit Profile and put a space before your sig line before Sunny sees it.

Yes, it is my mission to have everyone that has a sig line, have a space between it and the body of their post.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

ohh...found out that everyone else is going to be doing the training this weekend. Turns out it is new training for the year.

Bigun,
See you out at the DZ saturday. I got out of working this weekend.

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Flyangel whispering to upndownshop; go to Edit Profile and put a space before your sig line before Sunny sees it.

Yes, it is my mission to have everyone that has a sig line, have a space between it and the body of their post.

I was wondering how to do that? Did it work?
Cool.

triggers an explosive charge

Is that true? I thought it was a little guillotine that cut your reserve closing loop. If there were an explosive charge you wouldn't be able to take it on a commercial flight. The reserve is spring loaded, is that what you meant?

From the cypres manual

there is a diagram showing "propellant" behind the piston that cuts the loop.

" the cutter assembly is completely self contained. in the event of activation there is nothing released. It was specially developed for CYPRES and is classified as being non-hazardous"

Awesome. I'll be out around noonish. We need to work on your card and depending on your level of comfort, like to get another coach and us start working on some simple 3-way launches with a couple of simple points. See you there. Please bring your SIM.