sundevil777

Exec V.P. of Honda Motor: For years we've told you we have no plans for a truck. Today, I'll tell you that we do.

Explain to me how a unibody "truck" with a soft suspension can be used to haul or pull anything.

Pulling a heavy trailer with a unibody design will distort and pull the unibody. Without the proper suspension (read: very stiff), the vehicle will sag to the ground and blow the shocks.

In the truck world thats like saying you're going to swoop 300 ft with a strato-cloud loaded at 0.8:1, into a 10mph wind.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Sorry, I guess you can say that SUVs and little trucks like this one annoy the piss out of me. Basically since I look at them and think "the person who bought this can't actually use it for anything worth while, they should have bought a good car that has more comfort and better gas milage." Basically, buy a real truck if you need a truck, or just buy a car. Don't buy something that does them both, but does them both very poorly.

Many want a multipurpose vehicle-don't want to have to buy 2 or 3.

The Acura MDX won SUV of the year and a lot of praise for the ability to tow 5000lbs with excellent stability. 5K isn't as much as your truck, but hardly worthless.

It is good for dirt bikes, snowmobiles, quads.

You may like bouncing around in a truck such as yours, I would not. Can you drink from an open cup while driving without spilling on yourself?

Why so intolerant of those with different desires in a vehicle?

edit - your truck is definitely better for pulling C-182's out of fields!
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Yeah, sorry, I guess I was being very intolerant for folks that like these sorts of vehicles.

Since I can't see a use for it in my life, I just wrote them off. My apologies.

Oh, I can drink from an open cup without spilling in my truck, but if I'm mudding, I usually spill my beer.:P

Here's a design issue I have a problem with, the unibody. Honestly I think folks will see long term problems with it if they use this truck to pull or haul things on even a semi-regular basis. I have nothing against uni-body design in general (hell, I have and love a '73 SuperBeetle, thats definately a unibody), just used in this application I think folks will find some problems.

Oh, my idea of the perfect multi-purpose vehicle is a F-350 quad cab long bed turbo diesel 4x4. Plenty of room for folks to ride, more then enough hauling/towing power and the ability to go over many many things.;)

(Oh, speaking of the 182, check the pics ;):P)

I have a problem with, the unibody. Honestly I think folks will see long term problems with it if they use this truck to pull or haul things on even a semi-regular basis.

The answer lies in testing, we prove very well what it can do, long term. Also owners must know their vehicle's limitations. That is the hard part.

Also, the rear axle can be locked with a switch, to help with getting unstuck.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Also, the rear axle can be locked with a switch, to help with getting unstuck.

That's handy. Lockers are a plus...though I wonder how many folks who get one of those have never used lockers before and drive when them on the road...:o:P

Lockers are a plus...though I wonder how many folks who get one of those have never used lockers before and drive when them on the road

Ye of little faith.

It unlocks by itself above 6mph.

I am a traditional truck guy. Give me a Chevy Silverado or Ford F-350 Quad Cab anyday. (No Dodges - they are for looks)

That said, Honda Engineering is some of the best in the world and when it comes to looking for a vehicle that has style, passenger room, and can hall the kinda stuff I would be hailung, wood, bikes, bags of cement, New Furniture, etc., this vehicle would work. I like the way it looks. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Of course being a Honda Engineer would be my dream job on graduation so I may be biased.:P

That's kinda what I think too. It's not for me, but it will change the truck market.

People blew off the japanese when they entered the car market, too. Now they own the car market.

I have no doubt that Honda and Toyota will eventually do some major damage to detroit through trucks like these.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I am a traditional truck guy. Give me a Chevy Silverado or Ford F-350 Quad Cab anyday.

Someone who likes Chevys and Fords! And you call yourself traditional?

Of course being a Honda Engineer would be my dream job on graduation

When do you get out? Talk to me about it in the Spring.

Cliff

Ye of little faith.

It unlocks by itself above 6mph.

I wonder how they did that, since the large majority of modern cars/trucks determine MPH through the computer, using an equation that takes into account the gearing, tire size, the gear the tranny is in and the RPM, etc. If you've ever been mudding in a semi-modern truck (or spun you tired out on pavement...if you do that:S) then you've seen your spedometer tell you you're doing 30-50mph when you're actually doing about 5mph.

So they had to do something different or once you got to an RPM that would give you power, the locker would unlock, so it'd be absolutely no use to the driver.

looks like some 'Element' styling in there....

The shapes did come from the same L.A. styling studio

will they make a duallie with some engine that rightfully belongs in a tugboat, like the big 3 do?
(like anyone actually needs something like that...)

Some really do need it, for large horse trailers or 5th wheel RVs, etc. but the serious hauling, frame on body truck market is already well served and obviously not threatened by this new vehicle.

Honda doesn't really want to make a much larger engine. Because of their desire to have high mileage vehicles, Honda will be OK when Congress gets around to increasing the corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) standards. I always think it is so stupid when greenies complain about EVIL SUVs when there are so many tiny SUVs, and so many other vehicles with lousy mileage (sports cars, large trucks, large vans).

I heard about a law that was almost passed in California (maybe just the local LA area) that would have put emission limits on lawnmowers, etc. Many small engine makers were fighting this, but Honda lawnmower/generator/etc. engines would have complied. They make 4 stroke engines for boats (outboards), so they will be well positioned when lawmakers decide that dumping 2-stroke oil from the exhaust into every lake/river is a bad idea.

Some truck fans are insulted by any unibody that pretends to have a bed. But even Jeep did it a long time ago with the Comanche (it was at least half unibody). Some are insulted by luxury SUVs. You don't have to consider this a truck, you can call it a pansy-mobile if you want. But a lot of people will be waiting anxiously for it to be released.

Some are insulted by any vehicle with a foreign (especially Japanese) nameplate. For these people, I have a question: Do you consider Chrysler to be a domestic brand, now that it is part of Daimler?

Consider that Honda doesn't import many vehicles anymore. Just some of the small volume models like the S2000, the hybrid version of the Civic (thinking of ya Billvon B|), and the Acura RSX/TSX. They make the Accord/Civic/Element/Pilot and Acura TL/MDX in Ohio, Alabama, and Ontario. They have been making cars and bikes in Ohio since the early '80s, and export more cars from the US than any other mfg (at least as of a few years ago). There are ~1000 people designing and testing the cars in the US, which is not true for some of the other brands, even if they do have factories here.

I'll get off my soapbox for now. I only posted this because I was excited about the vehicle being officially announced so that I could brag about it (to the extent that we officially describe it ;)). Please check it out with an open mind.

Cliff

Some are insulted by any vehicle with a foreign (especially Japanese) nameplate. For these people, I have a question: Do you consider Chrysler to be a domestic brand, now that it is part of Daimler?

Consider that Honda doesn't import many vehicles anymore. Just some of the small volume models like the S2000, the hybrid version of the Civic (thinking of ya Billvon B|), and the Acura RSX/TSX. They make the Accord/Civic/Element/Pilot and Acura TL/MDX in Ohio, Alabama, and Ontario. They have been making cars and bikes in Ohio since the early '80s, and export more cars from the US than any other mfg (at least as of a few years ago). There are ~1000 people designing and testing the cars in the US, which is not true for some of the other brands, even if they do have factories here.

I'll get off my soapbox for now. I only posted this because I was excited about the vehicle being officially announced so that I could brag about it (to the extent that we officially describe it ;)). Please check it out with an open mind.

You go ahead and stay on that soapbox!! Honda builds the best cars on the planet in my opinion. Content, quality, performance, price can't be matched by anyone.

Now, in reference to indicators you see about Honda not wanting to build a bigger engine, does that mean, from what you can tell that the rumors of a V-10 for the next NSX are false?:P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

>So what you're saying is that its fucking worthless. Since that's what I
> thought when I read that.

It will haul someone to and from their job on a highway, thus fulfilling the role demanded of 95% of modern trucks on the roads today. And given that it's a Honda, it will probably do a better job at that task than most of the other trucks out there.

does that mean, from what you can tell that the rumors of a V-10 for the next NSX are false?

You'll have to be satisfied with this...Fukui promises "NO RIVAL EXISTS" for upcoming NSX:

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=188837

Cliff

did come from the same L.A. styling studio

As least it's not as obscenely hideous as the Element.... :P
Although, my buddy thinks the Element looks good.
I guess it takes all sorts.... B|

Funny how the Element caught on with an older market than what Honda aimed it at

will they make a dually with some engine that rightfully belongs in a tugboat, like the big 3 do?
(Like anyone actually needs something like that...)

Some really do need it, for large horse trailers or 5th wheel RVs, etc. but the serious hauling, frame on body truck market is already well served and obviously not threatened by this new vehicle.

I beg to still differ with you here.
I know of no place in the world except for North America that it is deemed necessary to have a dual rear wheel 'truck' (looks like overgrown pick-ups to me), with a monstrous twin turbo 6+ litre diesel engine, to haul any kind of trailer that does not require a horse (as in the horse-and-trailer type of trucks).

As for body on frame types for specialized bodies (catering trucks, roadworks, etc.) - using a pick-up truck layout and scaling it up (a la F350, F450 etc.) is a very inefficient use of space.
Just compare a European-market truck with equivalent load-space and capacity and towing capabilities and you will see how much more space efficient the layout used is.

This goes for larger trucks too.

If you've ever seen an Iveco Turbo Daily in the body on frame configuration you will know what I'm referring to.
You will find they do wonders with a 'measly' 2.5 litre turbo diesel engine - and that is in countries where the highway speed limit is significantly higher than in North America.

Honda doesn't really want to make a much larger engine.

Because they do not need to.
(another case in point - compare my brother's 1.6 litre DOHC Civic to a 3.8 litre V6 Pontiac Grand-Am I had hired a while back.... the Civic performs better at less than half the engine displacement)

With the efficiency they (and most European and Japanese auto manufacturers) achieve with their engines means they never have to match the average North American auto manufacturer's engines on displacement

Some truck fans are insulted by any...

Some are insulted by luxury SUVs.

Herein lays the truth about the psychology of so many buyers in the North American vehicle market - they are insulted by something different - so stifling progress and keeping tradition just for the sake of it, even when it serves no functional purpose...

Some are insulted by any vehicle with a foreign (especially Japanese) nameplate.

Which is why North American Auto companies rebadge (or facelift and rebadge) imports as domestics....

Consider that Honda doesn't import many vehicles anymore.

I'm not always sure that's good thing, as the quality of North American produced vehicles have historically been lower than the same vehicle manufactured elsewhere.
Case in point - Ford Focus.

[Reply]I'll get off my soapbox for now. I only posted this because I was excited about the vehicle being officially announced so that I could brag about it (to the extent that we officially describe it ;)). Please check it out with an open mind.

No need to step down yet, I can see why you are excited about the vehicle this thread got very interesting to me as it developed.

I always try to keep an open mind, I just have different experiences and a different frame of reference, therefore my point of view is different.
;)

soon to be gone

I know of no place in the world except for North America that it is deemed necessary to have a dual rear wheel 'truck'

I don't know, so I'm asking, is RVing a big deal in Europe? I know a good handful of folks that couldn't pull their RV without a full-ton dualy, with a large turbo diesel engine. I know a lot more folks then that that need that sort of truck to haul cattle/horses/etc Then I know a few that just really like those trucks.

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
reminds me more of an Avalanche.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was thinking that this Honda truck, going by looks, is one hell of an Aztec of an idea.

AZTEC! >:( That is an awful thing to say, especially for a Rev.

You are sooo wrong! I recommend a visit to your opthamologist.

But yes, the side view does have the rear slope to the bed of the Avalanche

I know there is no accounting for taste, but don't hurt me with such vicious attacks.:D

Honestly? I have respect for Honda attempting to build a pseudo-truck. More power to them, but why the bland 'follow what everyone else is doing, and doing wrong' looks?

That comment earlier about Dodge trucks being for looks was pretty much on target. While it seems everyone else is out to beat the other companies to getting a rolling box to market, Dodge actually adds curves. What ever happened to trucks that worked AND looked good?
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

What ever happened to trucks that worked AND looked good?

I think the older trucks that (well, now older) that looked like a brick with wheels look really good. For instance, my '98 K1500 is the old body style, I like it. Its basically a brick with slightly rounded edges. Too much curve and it looks bad, actually, you could even say it even looks weak.