billvon

Portland: excellent city

So here we are at Powell's in Portland. It's a rambling old bookstore (huge now) that has used books, all priced around $5. (They also have new books.) And the people who work here actually read them - the shelves are cluttered with notes like "you have to read this" "this is worth it once you get past the first 100 pages" "not one of Brin's best books." We got here via the streetcar, which goes all over the city and is free most places. Across the street is a McMenamin's, a place that has the world's best beer. I am sending this on some 802.11b network; when I scanned for networks I got seven. Two were free. Why can't more cities be like this?

BTW we'll be here until Monday if anyone wants to get together with Amy and I - give us a call at (309971221 * 2) or leave me a PM.

Interesting.

Why are you in Portland, Bill?

mh

Going 100 miles south to Eugene? proly not but thats where i'm at.B|

While in P-town
Check out the "Portland Underground"
It is called the portland underground, also the shanghi tunnels. where back in the day they would drug and trap unsuspecting victems down there, and then would be sold to boats, and by the time they wake up, they are miles out to sea. neat piece of history there.

I cannot remember which bar they start out infront of, but i think there is a tour everyday at around 6.
If interested you can get more info from the tourist info senter in Pioneer square, or by calling them?

And powells is the king of bookstores,

I used to live there. There was a McMenamin's downstairs from my apartment on SW Park. It's a city that stays up late too. You probably know this, but just 40 miles south on I-5 in Mollala is Skydive Oregon, a fine dropzone (where I learned to jump in fact) with the nicest, jump aircraft you're likely to run into ever.

It's a nice city, even with its politics contrary to mine, I liked living there a lot.;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I only have two problems with Portland.
1. The weather.
2. The overwhelming number of able bodied freaks enhabiting the area who will not stop asking me for my hard earned money. I might give you money if you are sick, hungry, homeless, etc., but if you choose to panhandle instead of getting one of the many jobs available to you, that pisses me off. I don't know why the people in Portland put up with that crap.

Other than that, Portland is a hip town with great beer.

Check out the "Portland Underground"
It is called the portland underground, also the shanghi tunnels

saw a show on the history chanell about those.....loked very cool... told a stoy onece of a bunch of guys geting drunk and dieing of embalming fluid that was given to them from a group trying to shangi hi them....

I lived in Portland for quite a while and went to school there. I LOVE POWELLS.....They have all kinds of little events there with authors who come and present part of thier work and then discuss motivation and background of their work. Oh you mentioned the MAX.. yup goes from Gresham on the east out to Hillsboro on the west with a line into the airport and up to Jantzen Beach on the Columbia River. It was an investment in moving people by lite rail that although does not do all it was promised yet.. it goes a lot farther than most cities for public transportation and at least gets SOME of the idiots off the few miles of freeways they have there. If you guys want some GOOOOOOD chinese food tonight get out to Xien Hong on 53rd on Sandy BLVD.. I have NEVER had any bad food there. If you are up for MASSIVE quantities of DEAD ANIMAL PARTS... Saylors Old Coutry Kitchen has some very very nice slabs of dead cow. There is one on the east side.. and one across from City Hall in Beaverton). just a couple blocks from the Lite Rail MAX that runs west.

yea, so I miss- spelled it:P

I could go on for awhile talking about it... but at times it was cool, times it was creepy. There was a pile of boots that they uncovered, that they think represents the boys that never made it home.
There has been reports of supernatural stuff going on down there, dunno about that. But being in p-town I think it's something to explore if your into history like that. It also makes for a good first date:D (yup that is when I saw it)

I was in Portland a few weeks ago visiting relatives. Two places they took us to were Coffee People (people in Oregon love their coffee) and Flying Pie Pizza (near the airport, not a great section of town, but very good pizza).

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

If you have any extra time from all the other attractions people have told you, go up to Pittock Mansion, great views of the city and a lot of history. Nice places to hike along forrest park.
The Chinese Garden in China town is worth the entrance fee.

Heather
Garbage bags do not make good parachutes.

Is the coin operated 24 hour church of elvis still in operation? Thats fun when yer drunk.

24Hr Church of Elvis had to close doors a few years ago as high rent prices and low offering plate returns made it impossible to make ends meet. The lady who ran it (Stephanie Pierce) was the most eccentric freak-show that I've ever ever met.

Other Portland and/or Oregon Facts?

>> Highest number of strip clubs per capita
>> Lowest church attendance per capita
>> On the average, less rain annually than Atlanta , Houston , Birmingham , Indianapolis or Seattle
>> We have the smallest municipal park (mill ends park... it's about 24 inches across)
>> kick-ass microbreweries - yea beer!
>> Powells Books is the largest independant bookstore in the nation

Visit Portland... and come visit us when you're in the area, we're bored and need more friends ;)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Don't be afraid of death,
be afraid of the unlived life.

Maybe even some bling bling

Now that you mention it, I think that's exactly what Bill needs - some bling bling... like a few pounds of gold chains, big diamond earrings, gold teeth and a hot pink fur coat... and of course a big ol' belt buckle like this...