hackish

Well it felt like a PLF but maybe didn't look like one...

Since losing my gear I wanted to pick up an older rig to use as a backup. How old is too old? I tried this rig out but I'm not sure if I can put up with the landings.

Thanks to Jim Wilson and Andre Lemaire for allowing me to perpetrate this jump.

-Michael

it looks to me, like that IS the sleeve....
and that the canopy is already out of it......
what makes you think that the canopy isn't???

IF you ARE at line stretch, that means the locking stows have been undone ,,, and the containing device.. sleeve, shorty sleeve or P.O.D. has already done it's job and has blown up to the base of the M A 1 or whatever other pilot chute is on the gear, ( Grabber? ) ( Hot dog?? ) the canopy seems awfully "wide" to still be in the sleeve.
just my $.02

jmy

You could be correct on that point. Jim may have gotten some photos of the deployment as well. All I know is that it left my back then it felt like a scary long time before anything started to happen. There is no kicker plate on that one. I remember there being stows for the apex lines but I think they were part of the sleeve. I will have to look again next time I jump it.

Of course this post wasn't about the PLF - although it did feel like I was a wet sack of potatoes falling from a truck.

-Michael

It's a bowling ball. It's actually behind the bridle but appears to be attached do to the view angle. If you look at the airplane, you'll see another bowling ball that was release shortly after. The view of the wheel is blocked by the second bowling ball.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

So how is it to jump a round? Did it felt safe?

Sure it felt safe. I understood and worked with the elevated levels of risk while I was practising with the shot 'n 1/2 capewells on the ground. Main issue was completely different emergency procedures. Another issue was the spot and I spent considerable time triple checking it. Landed 10m from the peas.

I liked it and want to jump it again. I throw this out for those who haven't ever jumped a round it defnitely adds a new level to a quiet peaceful canopy ride. Without a lot of forward motion you hear nothing up there. I could hear the voices inside my head quite clearly the whole way down :P

-Michael

It's a bowling ball. It's actually behind the bridle but appears to be attached do to the view angle. If you look at the airplane, you'll see another bowling ball that was release shortly after. The view of the wheel is blocked by the second bowling ball.

Hnnn. I figured the jm got the static-line around his neck when he left, and that was his head. Same size as a bowling ball.....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

All I know is that it left my back then it felt like a scary long time before anything started to happen.

Try opening a diaper-constrained 26'lopo at 500' going 120, then you'll know what a long opening feels like.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

> Landed 10m from the peas.

No way! This is cool! Did you had to put a lot of effort for this to happen?

... how do you steer?

Well it has toggles you know. I just steered toward the centre of the field. If I had known the landing would have been as "firm" as it was I would have worked harder to make the peas themselves. Since it doesn't have a lot of forward drive it is very important to carefully pick your spot. At 4k I was going backwards facing into the wind. By 2k it was all OK.

-Michael

Hi Michael,

What type of canopy was it? I don't recognize the yellow center-line material.

To be honest I didn't really look that closely at the yellow lines. Some of the older folks had it mostly packed by the time I got back from lunch. As already mentioned it was a Niagara Parachutes rig and the parachute was EAG. The reserve, loaned by Jim Wilson happened to match the rig very well. Strong Enterprises "Starmaker" 26'.

Here is another pic.

-Michael

How old is too old?

Not sure of the answer, but here's Chuck Berry flying an older canopy for the first time. No-one was surprised that its was a tiptoe landing.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Beatnik,

Re: The harness was adjusted properly before he jumped and the capewells were at the collarbone where they should be.

Good. Although I have seen more than one person walking toward the plane with a harness adjusted just like in that photo.

A little forewarning is better than a mistake, I hope. B|

Re: Don't jump the gun

Hey, this is the internet; it's allowed. :P

JerryBaumchen