Ion01

Sabre1 extra break line....

I have a sabre1 that I will be jumping for the first time this weekend. I am practicing packing it since that zp material really makes it fun. I just have one question...(yes, I will ask my rigger before jumping it and blah blah blah and all that fun stuff). There is an extra break line that, apparently, is there so that if there is a hard opening there are more lines to distribute the force through so you don't break a line. So here is the thing, when I stow the breaks this line has a bunch of "extra" length to it. Do I simply pull out the "slack" when flaking so that all the lines are nice and tight with no slack or are they supposed to be stowed in some way? Thanks!

Do not stow the slack on the extra brake line.
You indeed pull the slack out of the lines while flaking. I'd recommend doing so just before folding the tail around the rest of the canopy.

There is an extra break line that, apparently, is there so that if there is a hard opening there are more lines to distribute the force through so you don't break a line.

I'm not sure that is correct. I thought the function of the extra brake line was to make the canopy respond to toggle inputs the same way as the smaller sabres do (170's and smaller do not have the extra line). Anyone care to comment?
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

When I was a student I jumped a sabre 210 for a few jumps and it had the second brake line. I didn't realize the 190 had it too but I do know the 170 and smaller do not have one. To the original poster download and read the owner's manual for that canopy. I've found many people who are unaware of the recommendations PD makes for what you should do on the nose of that canopy. While packing. If you don't like hard openings it's a good idea to study.

-Michael

They are "brake" lines, not "break" lines.

Another helpful reply from JohnRich, gold star!

I flat pack it and that way i can arrange the tail in such a way that once the canopy is laid out i can simply grab the top of the "brake" line (thats for John) and push it further up into the canopy giving it tension.

Sure there is a way to pro pack it like that but never tried. Its a parachute though, its probably gonna work.

Sabre = flake it well, roll the nose, roll the tail. Lots.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

They are "brake" lines, not "break" lines.

Another helpful reply from JohnRich, gold star!

I flat pack it and that way i can arrange the tail in such a way that once the canopy is laid out i can simply grab the top of the "brake" line (thats for John) and push it further up into the canopy giving it tension.

Sure there is a way to pro pack it like that but never tried. Its a parachute though, its probably gonna work.

Sabre = flake it well, roll the nose, roll the tail. Lots.

just stuff the nose, roll the tail, roll the stabilizers, make damn sure your slider is quartered, all the way up and pull the nose side maybe an inch or two out..

-sabre-survivor for nearly 200 jumps-
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Thanks for all the replies! I had been through the manual on how to pack the canopy. The only thing I am worried about is it opening fast so I will be doing all I can to keep that from happening. We will see how it goes this weekend.

be careful stuffing the nose in, too far in and you may get a lineover! a better solution is to roll the outer four cells towards the center cell on each side.

look around for a video call pdpacking.wmv, probably on skydivingmovies, also available via torrents. it was done by scott miller of pd, and i remember there being a section at the end addressing the extra brake lines on older, larger sabres, what they are for and how to deal with them.

i also had a sabre 190 with the extra brake lines, paid attention to packing and got spanked maybe once in about 100 jumps.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

The extra brake line is to allow more of the tail to blow upward and help increase opening time. If the portion of the tail connected to the extra brake line pulled down like the rest of the tail, the bottom skin expansion is very quick. (that means you're more like to be slammmmmmed.

Pull the exta line back up toward the canopy and treat it more like a D-Line. Use care not to pull it around the front.

If you do roll the nose, be sure to turn in the A-lines as well to close off the entire nose on each side. If the A-lines aren't turned in, there's no point in rolling it.

A bigger slider or a sewn on pocket will help a fast opening Saber.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

The extra "brake" line is like the flare lines on tandem mains. They have minimal affect on opening, but pull down more tail when you flare.

Like tandems, simply pull all the slack to the top.

If you worry about hard openings - with Sabre Ones - pack neatly, being especially careful to keep the slider at the top of the lines.

The slider is the key to Sabre openings, make sure it is pulled out several inches in front of the nose. Lots of other things help but the slider is the biggie.Some larger sized Sabres benefit from oversized sliders or slider pockets. I have three smallish Sabres that I jump regularly and never get slammed.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

The only thing I am worried about is it opening fast so I will be doing all I can to keep that from happening

If this is the case then get a new canopy. Sabre 1's are known for SLAMMING you once in a while no matter how well you pack it.

I have a friend who broke her back on an opening with a sabre 1 long long ago. They had all been good openings up till that one.

good luck. roll the shit out of that thing!

For the 2 steering or brake lines not being locked by the toggles on a big Sabre 1, you keep them out toward the canopy as much as possible in the center just like the other lines.

I have had a Sabre 1-210 with Dacron lines. Those 2 "free" Dacron steering lines gave me some trouble by causing several times tears on the lower surface of the canopy near the tail. On the other hand the Sabre 1-210 with spectra lines doesn't seem to have that problem. Dacron lines are thicker than Spectra ones and maybe less slippery causing more easily burns or tears of the fabric.

The reason why PD put those "free" steering lines is to make the big Sabres opening softer. Since there is only 3 (out of 4) secondary steering lines (each side) that keeping the tail low for the opening, the aerodynamic force is decreased. Big Sabre 1 are Sabre 1 of 190 and above.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I had my first jump with it yesterday and it was great. We attempted a four way with a camera guy videoing. I joined up with one other person and one of the guys got there and reached for us which made him slide back by the time the last two guys were almost there we had to break. When I pulled I had a nice smooth opening! I think the guy I got it from put a bigger slider on it because the slider looked a lot bigger than what I had seen on the larger student canopies. It took about 500 feet for the slider to come completely down and it opened about 90 degrees off head which was either my pack job or position in the harness during the opening sequence but I felt like that was great to only be 90 degrees off heading for the first back job and jump on this rig! There was also a notable difference in performance (obviously). I really enjoyed it though, and actually felt like I had more control than on the student canopies because there is no hesitation in the canopy, it reacts almost immediately to my inputs which can come in really handy on landings. I had a great landing too! I did I nice two stage flare and when my feet hit the ground I only had to take a couple steps before stopping! Unfortunately, I only got to jump once yesterday but it was great and I am so exited about going back and jumping again! Thanks for all the input it helped but I did have someone watch me pack and the master rigger showed me how to basically keep it from re-inflating when you are trying to fold it to get it in the bag which helped a ton. Anyways, thanks again!