Rdutch

CD Repair kits.

Anyone ever have any success with a CD repair kit? And if so which one worked the best?
Over the years I have bought a few of the cheaper CD repair kits, they worked pretty good at cleaning a CD and maybe allowing it to play a track that would skip before, but I have never found a kit that actually removes scratches. I was at best buy yesterday and there was a few "Guaranteed to work" CD repair kits that claim they will even remove deep scratches. Im wondering if anyone has purchased one of these expensive CD repair kits and if so did they work? I have an old CD from a band I was in right after high school that has some scratches, not bad ones but enough to make the songs skip. It would be great to hear the songs again.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

get emory cloth. its really fine sandpaper.

stick you hands and c/d under water and wet sand the surface of the c/d with the emory cloth.

then get a high speed automotive buffer, and use buffing compound on the disk and the buffer.

then get some automotive polish. and high speed polish it.

this is the way ive taken deep scratches out of c/d's bfore. it is kinda alot of work but hasnt let me down yet.

and once you want to get rid of the CD and do some impressive show for your friends, turn the lights out, put the CD in the microwave, full power for a couple of seconds and look at the alternative way to burn CD's...

WARNING, kids don't try this without supervision... after 4-5 secs the CD might get on fire...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

WARNING, kids don't try this without supervision... after 4-5 secs the CD might get on fire...

And your microwave might explode after some amount of time or at least will get a serious damage.. :S And don't open the door and breath the gases, even if it will make you "stoned".. :o

Stay safe!
Max

I've only ever tried one or two of the scratch removal kits with little success. I'm pretty anal about my cds (and to a greater extent my DVD collection) though. But I think that with a bit of practice you could get them to work ok.

Head down to the auto accessories store and get the finest grain emery paper they have. Then go home and use the emery paper wet to remove the worst of the scratches, then use toothpaste and a clean dmap cloth to polish the surface smooth. That all those kits are - fine sandpaper and a polishing paste. I like marks idea of using the auto buffer. That would take most of the work out of it. The key is to get the surface smooth and as even as possible.